• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Husband self diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome

GoodToGo

Hi,

I've been on disability S.S for many years now for organic mental disorders. In 2010 I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety. O.C.D and P.T.S.D. I believe I have general anxiety as well but can't remember if I was diagnosed with it or not.

I've been married for 6 years and my husband just recently self diagnosed himself with Asperger's Syndrome. He plans on getting a official diagnosis soon.

Since finding out about him having Asperger. It's been releaving and stressful at the same time. We both need lots of down time. Especially when we are are around others. We have had so many problems with communication and learning of his Asperger's has shed light on so many areas.

I have been reading and watching video's about Asperger's to better understand him. It's helping but I still don't know how to handle it. He doesn't like talking about his feeling and I always want to talk about my feelings. Usually I feel uncomfortable around others if they are not talking about deep emotional issues or subjects. I'm very emotional, wear my heart on my sleeves. I understand now it's not possible for him to talk about his feelings as I do due to his Asperger's. For so long I just thought he was not sympathetic, rude and blunt because he was a jerk. I know better now.

What makes it so hard is we have three kids under the age of four. It's very hard to get the space and quite we need when we're having anxiety or needing down time from being over stimulate by noise, crowds. Running errans. Ect.

My husband has light and touch sensitivities. He has severe fibromyalgia. He has a very high IQ. He's a loner and loves to be in the woods away from the cities and people. he prefers animals around because they are simple to deal with.
He's genius level in math and science. He is very artistic as well. He is great at poetry and is writing a book at this time. He is a video game master he can probably win competitions if he tried. He has read over a thousand books. I have to say at times I feel like a idiot compared to him.

I have low self esteem. im getting a little better in this area by reminding myself my identity is in Christ Jesus and what he thinks of me.

We are both devote Christians and have a passion for reading the Bible. We love studying Theology from Dr. R.C. Sproul.

Our faith and trust in God is the reason we have made it through so many hard times in our marriage. And the reason we are so richly blessed by God as well.

If there are any Asperger's syndrome men who are married that can give me any advice, it would be much appriciated.

God Bless.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom