• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hungry, anyone?

How hungry are you?

• I am hungry all the time.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I have very little appetite.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I eat about average and do feel hungry.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

SusanLR

Curiosity's Cat
V.I.P Member
A lot of questions regarding common traits have been discussed, but, today I was thinking
about appetite.
Myself and two Aspies I know seem to have poor appetites.
I can go all day and eat very little or even forget to eat.
Hunger is a feeling I rarely have.
I eat small meals and don't snack in between.

Is this common with others here?
Curious.

I generally only ever have breakfast and supper,. will occasionally have lunch if I find something or I'm out downtown by myself

As a growing boy, I'm hungry all the time. Although that is starting to taper off as I'm pretty close to being a full grown man.

I will forget to eat in the absence of the actual sensation of hunger. Doing so is really bad for me, it screws with my blood sugar and usually makes me feel like crap. So I have to eat whenever I remember that I need to eat something, basically. So yeah, I'm never actually hungry.

At the moment I eat around 2000 calories per day as per normal, and I feel hungry. I feel hungry now, but I won't eat until the proper time. I'm quite strict about my meal times, don't eat between meals, and have a normal BMI.

When I'm anxious, I lose appetite and don't eat normally, so much so that at times of my life when I have gone through difficult periods of great anxiety, I have lost a lot of weight and my family, for a long time, thought I had an eating disorder. I don't.
When I found out about the cancer, I had extreme anxiety, and had to force myself to eat, and lost a lot of weight.

Same here.
A lot of anxiety can cause quick weight loss.
That happened when I had the liver cancer too.

I want to eat more than i need, but i often just forget about it, sometimes even for a day.

Recently yes, my mum always tells me to eat and get some food on, but I say that I never feel hungry.

She put it down to stress levels, as I was taking important qualifications and now working, i'm not sure but its only come around in the last year. Now that you mention it, basically I don't really feel a strong enough hunger and it starts to mess with me when I forget to eat, im on hormones too which might mess my appetite up?

I agree with Susan too, anxiety may cause some it too.

I wish my hunger subsided once my teenage years were over, but alas. I’m 32 and still pretty much hungry all the time, unless I’m going through emotional turmoil. Then the appetite is gone. But I’ll still eat because I’m an emotional eater as well.
It’s too bad my metabolism doesn’t agree with always being hungry, I really have to watch what I eat to prevent gaining a lot of weight.

Last edited:
I've always been a skinny kind of guy for a long time now, i'm still wearing clothes from about 10 years ago, i just haven't really grown that much, i am quite tall but, i have always wanted to have a little bit of fat, but it just doesn't seem to want to happen. Stuff just goes straight through me. If i am watching a movie i always have a tendency to eat. Other times i'll just flat-out forget to eat. I forget most of the time.

I do not feel hungry too often, but I still eat as much as I should (sometimes more), but with my taste sensitivities, I tend to eat as quickly as possible, or ignore the taste all together (I'm trying to drop this coping mechanism, as I do not enjoy it, and just eat things that are not disgusting to me). -- Lately I have been eating a lot less than I would before, I often go without breakfast, or eat something small like a bagel.

I also should note a lot my eating in the past was stimming, this went up massively as I avoided doing my more obvious stims, but now I don't care about what others think so I'm openly stimming now. -- I certainly still eat some more crunchy foods as a stim, but gladly a lot less so I ain't over-heating as much anymore.

I am a large person and have always a big eater. However, I am eating a lot less in my old age. I just get full really fast.

I forget to eat if I'm by myself, which makes me feel really unwell because my blood sugar drops. I'm currently living with my family though, so I tend to remember to eat if they're eating or mention getting food (then I have to check in to see if I'm actually hungry). I do feel hunger, but I just forget about it if I'm doing something else, unless it goes on for a long time and I start feeling sick or losing concentration.

I'm usually hungry, but have not had a life of plenty, so am used to ignoring it. I was in the military and had the opportunity to spend close to an hour three times a day just stuffing myself. I have a high metabolism, and I did spend over 40 minutes each mealtime simply eating. I was still hungry most of the day. I'm tall with a large frame, but have never been well filled out, at my heaviest I've looked good rather than skinny.

Right now I'm on a very restrictive diet. Although I'm hungry the idea of forcing more of what is available and allowed into my mouth is not appealing, often I will stop eating even though still hungry. Wish I could just plug myself in when going to sleep instead of eating. "Resistance is futile."

I used to cook for a living, and continually had to taste food through the course of a day. Although I rarely ate actual meals while cooking so I lost weight and didn't even notice.

Like good food, fresh, well made, healthy, rarely eat fast food or junk food as it makes me ill. Everything I make to eat is made from scratch, at least the bread and grains. At the moment it's fresh canadian corn on the cob and in season peaches and yellow plums. But like you, I eat small meals, don't like being full.

Last edited:
I can not eat and just drink for an entiere day when im realy into something.

But 99% of the time I eat to regulate my emotions and anxiety, I'v always struggled with weights issues. I always try to loose weight.

So I eat way too much and especially junk food.
Today I again ate a bag of candy for no reason.

I usually maintained good weight naturally as I tended to have a lot of nervous energy to use up. But in times of injury and now age can tack on 20 easily, I don't want. I'm dieting currently, so yes I feel hungry a few times a day.

Food is always of interest, as long as I am hungry. I have a healthy appetite, but I find I can indulge too much if there are chocolates around. I've always liked comfort food, so I don't make it and I don't buy it. I never know when to stop. I try to fill up on the good foods - vegetables, fruit, tofu, real European whole grain breads, and seafood (if the price is right, which it never is). I have to use my OCD powers to convince myself that healthy food is better, even though I know exactly what a good steak and a pizza with everything taste like.

The only time I'm really hungry is when I don't have money for food. Oh irony.

Otherwise, I tend to forget to eat most of the time, especially so during busy periods.

New Threads

Top Bottom