• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Humor

Ken

V.I.P Member
I am curious what style of humor you find funny; such as, dry humor, silly humor, flawed logic humor, etc., etc.
Among others, I like humanity reflection comedy like Monty Python's Holy Grail witch scene. I find it quite accurately illustrates humanities general populations lack of logic. The movie Idiocracy also does a good job illustrating classic laps of logic.
I also like dry humor. Often, when I am going somewhere and will return, I will announce that, "I will be back as soon as I return." That never gets any laughs, but it humors me.

I don't necessarily understand all the types but I do understand and like sarcasm - to a point. I like silly films like the Vacation (the new one was dead funny). The humour is pretty...wrong...but so funny to me. When I was younger I liked Mr Bean. Now I can't stand it.

Laughter is good therapy. I adore The Simpsons and South Park for irreverent humor. Human behavior is great material for how silly we can be. We take ourselves too seriously. My favorite stand-up comedian was George Carlin. TV sit-coms are OK, but the humor is too light and sometimes too obvious. I enjoyed Roseanne a lot because they weren't afraid of any topic. I appreciated the dose of realistic human folly and a few life lessons that came with her story lines.

I like all kinds of humor from slap stick Dick Van Dyke type humor to Bob Newhart's dry humor. I often find humor in things that most people would not think is funny and I have to be careful about that. I'm the one who is going to lift a box from ashes from a house fire and yell that the waffles are done. Even if it's my own house that burnt to the ground. Humor is how I cope. Humor is how I communicate and socialize. I've always told people if I get to the point that I can't laugh, just go ahead and shoot me.

I keep telling my 6 year old granddaughter a new joke every time I see her or talk to her and she just shakes her head. She's determined not to laugh and I'm determined that one day I'm gonna make her laugh. :)

Monty Python :)

When I was a kid, I liked the Muppet Show, and other British comedy series, such as Last of the Summer Wine or Black Adder.

I still like slapstick comedy, and toilet humour.

I like playing with words a lot - changing song lyrics, using words in new ways, etc.

Can't do banter - I very soon get out of my comfort zone with that kind of humour, and unfortunately a lot of social interaction is based round banter - it's one of the reasons I could never fit in socially.

I like sarcastic humor that has a high probability of offending some people but does not cross the line of bashing any group of people.

I don't like traditional American comedy sitcoms much, or American comedy films. I'm sure there are exceptions but I usually just avoid them. I like bizarre comedies like Monty Python, other British comedy like The IT Crowd and Black Books, meme humor, and I find a lot of humor in some horror films. The ridiculously gory stuff is so removed from reality I can't take it seriously. Curb Your Enthusiasm. Surely more than that but probably not interesting for anyone else to read a bibliography of comedy in the life of me ;)

Last edited:
I liked the Bob Newhart Show , he could be funny without being crude or offensive , like many stand up comics . How about jokes like this .

A guy is flying in a hot air balloon, and he's lost.

He lowers himself over a field and calls to a guy "Can you tell me where I am and where I'm headed?"

"Sure. You're at 41 degrees 2 minutes and 14 seconds North, 144 degrees 4 minutes and 19 seconds East; you're at an altitude of 762 meters above sea level, and right now you're hovering, but you were on a vector of 234 degrees at 12 meters per second."

"Amazing! Thanks! By the way, do you have Asperger's Syndrome?"

"I do! How did you know that?"

"Because everything you said is true, it's much more detail than I need, and you told me in a way that's no use to me at all."

"Huh. Are you a clinical psychologist?"

"I am, but how the heck did you know that???! !??"

"You don't know where you are. You don't know where you're going. You got where you are by blowing hot air. You put labels on people after asking a few questions, and you're in exactly the same spot you were 5 minutes ago, but now, somehow, it's my fault!"

... I find a lot of humor in some horror films. The ridiculously gory stuff is so removed from reality I can't take it seriously. Curb Your Enthusiasm. Surely more than that but probably not interesting for anyone else to read a bibliography of comedy in the life of me ;)

You might like the movie, "HOUSEBOUND".

A high school classmate of mine became a movie star (true story). She's been in Hollywood so long she's probably a lot younger now, but at the time we were the same age.

Wait ... was that a joke?

I'm fortunate I like being the butt of the joke.
I find it easy to fall into unfortunate circumstance so people can laugh at me.

Butt heres what I sometimes do :

I try to say something stupid, that people dont think I said deliberately.
Their inner instinct is to laugh.
They cant laugh as its socially unacceptable.
I watch this play out on their faces - their slight loss of composure regained. Micro smile then deadpan expression depicting "I'm not supposed to laugh at this, the guy is touched or an idiot."

Sometimes it works then they just laugh outright.

Of course,for years I didnt realise people didnt know I was doing and saying things deliberately to make them laugh by being the butt of the joke.
They didnt comprehend someone would make themselves out to be a fool - on purpose. (Ie they would never do that,high social costs to status)
So they categorised me as an actual fool :)

But that's okay.

Sometimes I am :)

Ok,nearly all the time.

Another one I used to do :

I noticed that people use swear words and such to insult people.
There has to be a social context to it.
So I would pretend to insult people - on TV or driving g past, or being told hearsay about them.
Only if, there was no social contact or possible reason for me to insult them.

It had to be nonsensical!

My wife may say something, about a neighbours garbage left out, or someone parked somewhere.
Customers insults.
Nonsensical- these things have nothing to do with me.
I guess I am also making fun of the way social judgments are made.
.ten years later.

My wife says she doesn't understand it.
I laughed at thinking how awful she must have thought I was, insulting these people randomly! :)

I have her the full explanation
So I started doing a disclaimer :)

Learning to find the humour in being misunderstood is a grand thing.
It also means I can learn how unclear and obtuse I was,without realising.
A different world awaits those who choose to change how they see.

My humor is dry and sarcastic, often self deprecating and with a deadpan delivery.
I’m a fan of British comedy, like Monty Python, Spaced, the Cornetto trilogy, and to a lesser extent the IT crowd (the laugh track annoys me).

I am curious what style of humor you find funny;...
My native humor is puns, but I have a larger repertoire. I always got joke books in our elementary school book drives. I always read the joke sections first in Reader's Digest, BTI.* Now if I can remember the basic flow of a joke, I can find an on-line copy via Google.

Too much sarcasm is a bit of a downer to me, but I use it from time-to-time.

*Before the internet.

New Threads

Top Bottom