• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Humane Society Formed

Nitro

Admin/Immoral Turpitude
Staff member
Admin
V.I.P Member
KsZQQm_nNHfE16mIrTTCgH3IYA6eH2DyESydJsARp4OeSaDsmVtR8LTkq0jNFTfigqAZe18LlQCK0lJzmgyrGDZRosH_-a4lJvXkd7_EjezEkPnNQIvFSMhcIA=s0-d-e1-ft
November 22, 1954
Animal lovers across the country can mark November 22 on their calendar as a day to celebrate, as it is the anniversary of the incorporation of the Humane Society of the United States. In 1954, the Humane Society’s founders came together to create a nonprofit that would confront animal cruelty practices and raise awareness for animal rights. Founders Larry Andrews, Marcia Glaser, Helen Jones, and Fred Myers saw the need for an official organization that would actively endorse humane practices and eliminate the cruel treatment of both commercial and domestic animals.

One of the key figures who influenced the core values of the Humane Society was philosopher Albert Schweitzer, who in his 1952 Nobel Peace Prize speech asserted that, “compassion, in which ethics takes root, does not assume its true proportions until it embraces not only man but every living being.” In the several decades since its founding, the organization has fought for legislation, education, community engagement, and investigative work, leading to massive reform in animal rights issues, including slaughterhouses, the fur and exotic species trade, rodeo events, laboratories, and horse racing. From cattle ranches to pet stores, our furry friends everywhere can thank the Humane Society of the United States for its devotion to all creatures great and small.

I support the work that the humane society does but, at least in this part of the country, they have become an eletist organization.
I tried to adopt a dog through our local chapter once. I owned my own home, was employed and had a fenced yard but my application was turned down because, in their opinion, I didn't earn enough money.
To be fair that happened 20 years ago. Perhaps it has changed. But if they still vet potential owners based on their income they deprive many pets and humans of being paired for life.
In fact, I urge anyone looking to adopt to check out the city and county kill shelters before the no kill shelters. Those pets need you too.

And remember that it took societies like that, the ASPCA in particular, to fight child abuse. The work began with the ASPCA in 1874 with a case brought to court to protect an abused girl.

New Threads

Top Bottom