• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Howdy Y’all

Decemberwyatt

Hey there,
I figure if I’m introducing myself, I might as well explain some of the backstory as to why + a little about me.
I’m 22, was not officially diagnosed until I was 19 (High Functioning Autism) although my parents, throughout my childhood, were convinced I had Sensory Processing Disorder. Naturally, being uninformed and not wanting to to have the term “disorder” applied to myself, I considered myself fairly normal (although I had doubts from time to time).

Lately, I’ve felt that those around me have had a difficult time understanding my needs given my differences from them. Given I work with a supervisor who is my ex and 8 years my senior (all I am willing to disclose out of respect for her) it’s been difficult to manage my emotions/interact with her as necessitated by the job. Given I’ve only recently come to embrace my diagnosis after disavowing it intially purely to ignorance, she wasn’t aware of it until after things had ended.
Largely because I’ve masked most of my life, which while may have worked for certain social situations, also cost me much torment in my life in the process. Beyond just this situation as well, as a similar one is what led to me receiving a diagnosis in the first place, along with a host of other things I won’t get into today.

This entire process of self-realization (and acceptance) has, while improved my well-being, also made me feel slightly more distanced from those I interact with because of how unaware/uninformed they are about what things are like from my perspective. Since I’m rarely the best communicator through verbal means, it’s not exactly easy to have that conversation either.

I wanted to hear from and communicate with others who can better understand things from a shared perspective and generally to feel some kinship from people who may intuitively know the same overwhelming shutdown when faced with certain situations, or the obsessive interest in a particular subject (in my case, this is largely music, will talk about it with anyone and listen to just about any genre).

TL;DR
Konichawa Amigos

upload_2019-8-18_7-34-23.png

Welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here. It sounds like you have been through some difficult times, and yes, I think there will be people here who understand and experience the world in similar ways to you. Hope it helps, and that you get interesting and useful information and support here.

:tropicalfish::spiralshell::fish::spiralshell::blowfish::spiralshell::blossom:

Last edited:
Hi December Wyatt and welcome.
It's made you realize that they are experiencing things differently? Nothing has changed, just your knowledge about who you are. I ask that way because all through school I thought everyone was like me and just better at dealing with it all. Eventually I learned that wasn't the case and I just spent years wondering why until I was diagnosed - late in life. But it can be a good thing that can contribute much to the world that does not experience things the way we do. And you can contribute a lot to your friends and give them insight that they would otherwise not have. Just take your time and you'll slowly figure these things out and eventually be able to share them better. Hope you enjoy yourself here.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Hi @Decemberwyatt and welcome to the forum. You'll find maskers here and people who don't...and people who are trying to work it all out. I'm sure it will be helpful to you.

New Threads

Top Bottom