• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How well are you at taking care of yourself and your needs?

SimplyWandering

I'm just curious how well you All are At functioning to the best of your capabilities?

Touting labels of Aspergers, HFA, Low Functioning, etc. but that doesn't explain how we function.

If you can , post some stuff your good at and some items you have trouble with. It is always nice to feel like you are not alone.

--------

I consider myself HFA

but i struggle with setting schedules, sticking to schedules, paying bills on time (despite having money) ,staying organized

Im good at using oven/stove, Keeping a job, and making sure to comfort others

Cooking for myself and at least one other person.
Planning a short trip and a series of activities.
I've gotten better at following through on long term plans.

Bad at: Cleaning, organizing, maintaining healthy relationships with people outside of my family.

Fortunately my future DH is much better at the latter.

I find living in the present hard, renumination and over thinking, completing tasks and making and keeping friends.
Good at task completion if interested, supporting others, finding bargains.... clothes and collectables, eating healthy and looking after my personal care and appearance. Also researching stuff of interest and finding different solutions to problems.

I think Mr Gracey and I work as a team.

Where I lack, he steps up and vice versa.

I can do most things if I'm focused.
Has to be that tunnel vision kind of focus though.

I can easily get distracted by that which interests me...
... at the moment I'm in awe of my year old grandson's cognitive development, his gross and fine motor skills, his speech development.
He & his parents live with us at the moment.
If I'm headed to the bathroom to shower for example, and notice him attempting to advance or improve his skills,
My self care flies out of the window and I lose track of time providing opportunities in which he can practise his skills.

I smell or run late for an appointment but his neural pathways are getting a workout :)

l do okay if everybody in the universe isn't intent on micromanaging me like my mom, my ex, random men. lol

Good at putting things off that I don't want to do. Like cleaning toilets or washing windows or checking my finances. I'm fine making meals, laundry, vacumning in the day to day environment.

Not good with a loud circular or table saw, the noise makes me unable to function well. Not good at spending time on myself, fixing hair or using scrubs on my skin, or even skin cream.

Since covid, and using hand sanitizer, my hands have become a desert wasteland. Otherwise things are as usual.

I'm a little mixed, but overall I can take care of myself.

I'm early to appointments, but I struggle to fix dinner on time (my routine is usually to have dessert after my dinner, and I don't always leave enough time to eat it, so I end up rushing through it).

Some things, like bills, I can take care of quickly enough, because the stress of having them hanging over me is something I want to avoid.
I also have trouble getting to bed on time (I should be brushing my teeth literally right now, but here I am, not doing that...)

I'm not good at: multitasking, transitioning from one task to another, handling household chores.
Good at: managing money, responding to emails in reasonable time.

Good at: personal hygiene (impeccable to the point of obsessive at times lol).
But really bad at: housekeeping (people actually WASH their windows? Seriously?)

Good at: cooking, when I actually want to cook something.
Bad at: preparing meals for myself (I eat a lot of micromeals and I eat out a lot. I used to be better about cooking but that's really gone by the wayside especially since the pandemic started. I spend way too much money on takeout.)

Good at: paying bills on time
Bad at: answering letters. I have one sitting here from MAY, unopened. I feel pretty bad about that actually.

Bad at: making phone calls...I only talk to my grandmom and one of my closest friends on the phone. I put off making appointments etc. for as long as possible lol.

I know how to do most things to take care of myself (shower, cook, do bills, clean the space I'm living in, etc.) I'm not good at organizing them though and keeping up on doing everything, sans showering, brushing my teeth, and taking care of pets.

I never had much of a schedule as a kid nor was taught to do a lot, so I had to teach myself and can't really get over the fact that basically my "routine" doesn't involve a lot of things I need to do and that I need to change my routine.

New Threads

Top Bottom