• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to talk with my parents?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I need help, I'm trying to live an independent life, and sever the last dependencies I have on my parents. (There will still be a few financial connections I'll have that are too complicated to sever to now) However, because of the Coronavirus and because of my complicated past with them, I find it difficult to speak with them.

I'm frustrated because I find it difficult to speak with them, and because I'v wasted so much of my life before reverting to the Catholic Faith. I'm desperate to start living life as an adult, and I need to figure out how to talk with my parents in order to do that.

How do I talk to my parents?

State with small things. Ask them what they've been up to lately? How is the car running? How is their aunt? How is work? How's the garden?

My Mum is easy. Give her one subject and she will talk Forever.

My Dad has to be drawn out a bit.

What do you find makes it difficult? Are you very different, for example? It can be hard to relate easily with parents, but maybe we could make more suggestions if we knew a bit more about what you find difficult about it?

Talking with parents. Do you freeze up? Just say hi. Tell them about anything new going on with you.. Keep it lighthearted. Ask questions about their health, their hobbies, their upcoming social events. These are all safe questions.

Sort of, I have difficulty thinking clearly when I speak to them, and thus can't explain to them how I want to move on in my life and get a job and find my future wife and the like.

So it's a difficulty on your part as opposed to they won't listen to you type thing.

If it's hard to talk to them, maybe just stay positive when they reach out to you. Just start making choices on your own without asking them or telling them about the situation at all, and if they start to ask, just say you're dealing with issues yourself and that any help from them will hinder you from growing. Don't hide stuff from your parents, but there is no need to talk to them about things that you need to do on your own anyway. If they ask, then they open up the path for you to say something or ask etc. But stand your own ground on accepting the consequences of your own decisions in whatever you end up choosing for this or that.

It's okay to ask other people for (non-monetary) help but of course try to do more and more things on your own too. Don't even ask your parents, just start on your own or ask friends for suggestions.

New Threads

Top Bottom