• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to support someone on the spectrum

sisselcakes

V.I.P Member
Hi everyone. I have been looking for some way I can positively contribute. I am a mental health professional, I have been in a relationship with someone on the spectrum, and I enjoy writing. So I purchased a website with the idea of writing articles on different mental health issues, sort of as a public service.

I plan to have a category for neuro diversity issues. I hope to get some ideas on here.

I was hoping that you could share your perspective and experience on being supported by loved ones.

What has helped and what has been detrimental in terms of feeling supported and understood by others?

I don’t think there would be any objection to my plan to include this forum as a resource on my site.

Actually it was mom who found out from my aunt about autism and aspergers. She researched it and took me to get tested. I was officially diagnosed with aspergers or high functing autism. They have been very patient. There was a good deal of apologies offered for not understanding once i was dignosed. Though i didnt accept it. There was no way they could have know and i dont hold grudges. On some things they dont understand. Accidents with communication or my ocassional memory lapse. But these are small things. They did help when i got seriously down after a really nasty sickness. It took months to recover mentally. I needed and got thearpy. Thanks to them.

Be patient and understanding. Dont always assume we can do what you can. Be there in times of crisis.

Actually it was mom who found out from my aunt about autism and aspergers. She researched it and took me to get tested. I was officially diagnosed with aspergers or high functing autism. They have been very patient. There was a good deal of apologies offered for not understanding once i was dignosed. Though i didnt accept it. There was no way they could have know and i dont hold grudges. On some things they dont understand. Accidents with communication or my ocassional memory lapse. But these are small things. They did help when i got seriously down after a really nasty sickness. It took months to recover mentally. I needed and got thearpy. Thanks to them.

Be patient and understanding. Dont always assume we can do what you can. Be there in times of crisis.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I appreciate your feedback. I've been working diligently on my blog and neglected this particular subject, but it's the next one I'm going to tackle. I just finished a long article on my experience in relationship with someone with ASD.

Anyhow, I plan to use your feedback as part of my next entry. :)

I assume you mean your training and job is in the mental health field. What do you do?

I'm a licensed clinical social worker. I no longer work directly in the field with clients. I audit behavioral health records for an insurance company.

This is fascinating. I had no idea.
Here is a graph from California DDS
full

2014-CA DDS Autism Cases By Birth Year

These are ASD2s & 3s only; not including ASD1s. This caseload did not previously exist under a different diagnosis. Also known as Millennial Autism. (Image taken from California's Autism Crisis)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom