• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to photograph Christmas lights?

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
At least my way to do it... Photographing just the lights is boring to me, I like to create a scene around it, went out on Christmas Eve to take in some lights, there is a whole plaza at this light display... And as much as possible I am tracking how people move around the image, it's not entirely random... Tips and tricks...

[I did post these photos in another thread here too]

Christmas Lights 02.jpg

Christmas Lights 01.jpg

Another method is to use the HDR function on your camera. It takes 3 consecutive shots at different exposure levels that you can later blend to get a good exposure over the whole scene. Awkward if there's a lot of movement in the scene though.

[Edit] Playing with HDR really hammered home to me just how amazing our eyesight is, but it raised another question, is it our eyes that see better or is our brain doing all the post processing?

Last edited:
I still recall the night our photography instructor in an adult education class told us we'd be making a "computer". Yeah- right...lol. We students thought he was nuts. The joke was on us when we built our own light computers for night shots. Here's how it was done. He basically handed out cardboard templates where all we had to do was to cut them out and then "assemble" them kind of like a cardboard slide rule. I was so impressed with how simple this thing worked that I reinforced the cardboard with plastic to make it last.

Here's what I'm talking about. To the left is the "body" of the computer. First to the right is the part that slides into the body. Third from the left is what it looks like when functional. Fourth is the back of the body, with a numbered list of basic, but different kind of lighting scenes you may encounter. In essence, you determine the scene number that best describes the conditions for a particular shot. You then consider whatever ISO setting you want to try, and slide the part that fits into the body until you line up the ASA/ISO setting with the scene number. In this instance you'd line up scene 2 (Christmas Trees) with ISO 400 or a higher setting.

Once that is done, simply refer to the right where the appropriate shutter speed and F-Stop correlates to each other. Given the images shown below, I wanted a broad depth-of-field, so I chose F16. Note the shutter speed that is aligned with F16. It's 1/8 of a second. Though at times you would probably want to bracket different settings to experiment with getting the optimal shot. It may not be perfect, but for the most part it works rather well IMO.

Light Computer.jpg

This was one of the 35mm film pictures I shot using this little simple tool with my Canon A-1:

Bay Bridge.jpg

San Francisco Bay Bridge/ Embarcadero Christmas Lighting, December 1987

Last edited:
@Judge That looks like a basic version of a pinhole camera...

@SusanLR Nice photo, and everyone else too...

I've always enjoyed a broader scene, although they are trickier to capture nicely

New Threads

Top Bottom