• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Major Tom

Searching for ground control...
V.I.P Member
Hey all,

I'm not sure how many of you are interested in chemistry, or alcohol, but if you are, maybe you'll like this!

I've been doing this for years, the skill has been handed down from my father, but modified to suit my own economical purposes. Basically what you need is 100% fruit juice (yes you can make the juice, and it will taste better if you do), yeast (not brewer's yeast), sugar, some sterilized glass (preferably) but plastic will do just fine, some large-capacity balloons(not powdered) and some sort of elastic bands. (Hair ties work well.)A funnel (optional). An at least 5 liter pot to heat the juice. Also, a source of heat.

The reason you don't use brewer's yeast is two-fold. Firstly it's not as easily attainable. Secondly, it creates carbonation, so if you use it, you'll end up with champagne of lower proof, but still tasty.

There's special kits you can buy (a wine starter kit, all the way up to advanced). My dad had an advanced kit. He made some killer wine, but spent literally thousands of dollars in both equipment and raw fruit/berries. His way produces wines of superior quality and flavor, but my way is far more economical.

So, go out and buy yourself some non-citrus fruit juice. (I can usually get a liter for about $1) Some baker's yeast, some brown sugar, some balloons, and some hair ties. (You can also supplement balloons for non-powdered rubber gloves, and with jars rather than bottles) Whatever kind of containers you have will work, but I'd avoid metal containers personally.

I don't use citrus, because it makes a different sort of alcohol (hooch). Hooch gives me a bunch of terrible side effects like headaches and nausea. I am however experimenting with pineapple juice this time.

Take your 100% fruit juice, and pour however many liters/gallons you you want to make in a batch into the warming pot. My method uses a teaspoon and a half of yeast to 4 liters (1.05gallons) Also, 1.75 cups of sugar for 4 liters (1.05 gallons). Warm the juice and sugar mixture up to about 21 degrees C (75 degrees F). Then add the yeast. Mix the yeast well so there are no clumps on the top. After its properly mixed, take your funnel and glass or plastic bottle/ jar and funnel the liquid into the vessel. Fill it to 90-95% capacity. After filling your vessel, take your balloon and stretch it over the top making sure it's not twisted. Then use your rubber bands/hair ties to affix it to the rim.

That's how you prepare the mixture. Once the mixture is finished store it in a place that's cool and dark. You'll notice as you check it that the balloons will be filled with gasses, that's the fermentation process happening. The yeast is consuming the sugar, you'll also notice the smell of fermenting fruits or berries as the seal is not air tight ( you want it to allow the C02 to escape.)

Depending on the temperature, the fermentation process finishes in between 3-8 weeks. The colder it is, the longer it takes in general. You'll know when it's finished fermenting because the balloons will deflate. Once the balloons are deflated completely, the fermentation process is finished. The balloons filling with gasses is also a good way to be certain that fermentation is actually happening. If the balloons don't inflate, there's something wrong and the process should be abandoned.

After fermenting, you'll want to strain the wine through a coffee filter or cheese cloth until there's no more sediment in it. The sediment will give it an off flavor and also give you a hangover. It usually takes between 3-5 runs through a filter to get it to the right consistency and color.

I've done this method 100's of times and have NEVER had a failure. It should produce between 32-35 proof alcohol wine (maybe a little stronger). This is not a recipe for kids. Your parents will surely smell it, and children should not be drinking either, but an interesting way for an adult to produce their own alcohol for cheap and for the fun of it.

To make 4 liters it costs me about $4.75. Prices may vary depending on location. Also, apple is the most consistent of the juices. I've had varying results with other juices, but all were good drinking wine. Very smooth and tasty.

You can also freeze the liquid and then drill a hole into the liquid at the bottom and it is sort of like ice distilling, the good alcohol won't freeze at the bottom and all the bad stuff freezes at the top. It's called Jack I.E (Apple Jack) You'll end up with alcohol nearly as strong as store bought whiskey in potency but without the nasty alcohol flavor.

This is a photo of my most recent batches. They are smelling so great right now and I'm in fermentation heaven:

Important to buy preservative free juice too!

Was doing some a coupla years back but found the filter bit too much work. Might do it again some time though.

Wow that's fun. I will try it. My father used to make wine, too. It came out pretty strong also. But enjoyable, in moderation. The balloon idea is new to me, that's useful.

Wow that's fun. I will try it. My father used to make wine, too. It came out pretty strong also. But enjoyable, in moderation. The balloon idea is new to me, that's useful.

Yep I just have half a glass here and there, it's plenty for me. Any more than that and it's not very enjoyable. My wife on the other hand, the first time I made any said "there's no alcohol in this", drank 3 glasses and regretted it for sure. You have to respect it.

Update: I just heard two "booms" one after the other and went to check. The balloons on the apple and fruit wines were not high capacity enough apparently, so I'm going to go with rubber gloves. I just put the caps on but didn't tighten them for now to hopefully stop any bacteria from entering the wine until the stores open in 4 hours.

I used to punch a few air holes in the balloons with a sharp needle to let the gas escape a little.

I used to punch a few air holes in the balloons with a sharp needle to let the gas escape a little.

I went out and got a couple pairs of gigantic gloves, and tried the hole in the balloon method on a couple of the bottles I started today. Thanks for the advice!

New Threads

Top Bottom