• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to Identify Autism?

gcesp

Hello everyone. I am posting on this forum for the first time seeking some guidance as we have just spent a week together with some old friends. We have teenage children and their sons are a couple years younger than ours. It was a *GREAT* time but as always their "little one" kept causing issues. For a long time it seemed like their younger son was acting way younger than his age because they were treating him like the "cute little one" well past when it should get long in the tooth but I saw some troubling patterns that my boys and wife also noticed.

I wouldn't call this kid low intelligence but it seems like he just doesn't 'get' anything. He wanders aimlessly, has no clue what he is saying or doing or talking about, asks strange questions often not related to the matter but doesn't listen or seem to have the curiosity to follow up in the answers or discussing any of what he asks. He just does it almost as if he's grabbing out for something, I don't know what and it seems like he doesn't either. I know perhaps a sign of mental illness is wanting to sample everything and this is the kind of kid that if you leave 8 identical cups of water for 8 different people to drink on a hot summer day instead of guzzling one down after running around he will take a sip from every single one almost to ruin it for everyone else but not maliciously. Or he will want to touch everything or taste everything even if he is not interested or cares about what he is touching or tasting. Most people who are so indecisive or sample so much would have a far greater degree of curiosity spurring that behavior but his detatchment from anything including the ability to learn from his actions is... disturbing. Yet as disturbing as his behavior is he never once becomes flustered or disturbed himself, ever.

Now I know very little about autism but he does seem to, in a very limited way, respond to social cues maybe better than just standard verbal feedback (close the door or you'll let all the cool A/C air out) although his response in general is very scattered and illogical to everything. He does say strange things but they are not repetitive, more out of place to the situation, it's almost like he just doesn't get... anything. He bumps into things, seems like he never knows what he is doing or where he is going even in pretty familiar places. When playing with him it's so easy to pull the wool over his eyes I used to do it when they were little because it's fun to fool little kids with white little funny, entertaining ridiculous lies and all the games when they are like 3yo but at this age it feels... cruel as it's too easy to fool him. Oddly the best way to reach him is through emotional cues because he doesn't seem to understand anything else but perhaps the most distressing thing of all I noticed today is the ice cream experience. He was so nonchalant and unemotional about going for ice cream with everyone else and was unsure whether to stay back with his parents and just sit there like a log. He almost wanted to stay with his parents but not in an anxious or separation anxiety way either. He was so undecided about the whole process and then when finally pushed and confronted with having to buy ice cream, he had no idea which flavor or what kind even though it was in front of his very eyes which was pretty bizzarre and shocking in an 11 year old kid.

I heard from his older brother this is a very pervasive pattern ,he almost flunked out of 5th grade and did poorly on his standardized tests this year. He's not violent, destructive, malicious, angry, rageful just disorganized, but not in a physical way like scattering his toys, more mentally. He's not obsessive on the other way either, he lacks bizzarre interests, but his way of thinking and living is... indeed bizarre. ZERO anxiety. Situations that should bring about distress or actions that would normally be committed to due to anxiety are.... totally stress free. It's almost like he is stoned all the time except we don't do that kind of stuff. Rather his entire behavior pattern and way of trudging through life lacks any motivation, logic or internal regulation. It's almost like he is a leaf floating in the wind but in everything he does mentally and physically. He doesn't carry any previous known issues and at least for a while led a pretty nice middle class life. Never seen a kid like this even having briefly worked with some mentally retarded and developmentally delayed boys and girls one summer volunteering in high school.

This is not my problem obviously but.... what should I think? This is a very delicate subject matter and I would hope his school will pick up on it but I honestly think there is something going on with this poor kid. His parents don't seem to think there is a problem and are happy to indulge "the poor little baby" (I am not kidding!) who is almost as tall as his mother and just needs extra 'protection'. But after seeing all this while I don't think being over indulgent is the right parenting approach, I think the problem stems from something far deeper.

Any insights?

It was a *GREAT* time but as always their "little one" kept causing issues.
wouldn't call this kid low intelligence but it seems like he just doesn't 'get' anything.
He was so nonchalant and unemotional about going for ice cream with everyone else and was unsure whether to stay back with his parents and just sit there like a log.

Hello, I am only new here, and working on my own understanding of autism, so I don’t have much advice for you. There are some really amazing people here on the site with a wealth of knowledge and information about the topic of autism, mental health issues, and many many other things.

Unfortunately, I missed the compassion in your post. I often miss things, so forgive me if it is there and I just did not pick up on it. I am just thinking about these experiences you describe from the point of view of the child, and it sounds very difficult. I am happy that you are trying to learn more about his condition, and would encourage you to think how difficult it is for a person who is trying to live in the body and in the life that you are describing, regardless of the lack of outward displays that you recognize as anxiety.

I have to wonder about the social acceptability of an adult seeking an autism diagnosis on a public forum for a minor, who is not their child.

Sorry, missed social cue in there somewhere, but that feels like an extreme violation of privacy. Your kid, your say. Their kid, their say.

Not your kid...not your business. As to being a delicate topic it was addressed as deftly as a brick through plate glass.

It is akin to filming a minor in an autistic meltdown and posting it without permission...this is an eleven year old kid, who is having their struggles hung out for all to read like laundry on a line. Consider how you or heaven forbid your child would feel about that if someone did it to them.

There are a number of resources available on the site for identifying autistic traits. Look through them, learn what you can about the neurotype, but don't play 'What does social media say...' with someone else's child. Consider your own motives for pursuing such information.

Read through some of the discussions and threads written by autistics and realise that:

'He's not violent, destructive, malicious, angry, rageful just disorganized, but not in a physical way like scattering his toys, more mentally. He's not obsessive on the other way either, he lacks bizzarre interests, but his way of thinking and living is... indeed bizzarre.'

That is sterotyping and stigmatizing of neurodivergent people.

Last edited:
I have to wonder about the social acceptability of an adult seeking an autism diagnosis on a public forum for a minor, who is not their child.

Sorry, missed social cue in there somewhere, but that feels like an extreme violation of privacy. Your kid, your say. Their kid, their say.

Not your kid...not your business. As to being a delicate topic it was addressed as deftly as a brick through plate glass.

It is akin to filming a minor in an autistic meltdown and posting it without permission...this is an eleven year old kid, who is having their struggles hung out for all to read like laundry on a line. Consider how you or heaven forbid your child would feel about that if someone did it to them.

There are a number of resources available on the site for identifying autistic traits. Look through them, learn what you can about the neurotype, but don't play 'What does social media say...' with someone else's child.
@gcesp - See? Like I said, there are brilliant people here who can say things far better than I can. Totally agreed, @Darkkin.

Do the boy's parents suspect autism?
Does he receive special education at school?
If he does, then his parents have some working diagnosis (autism or not) and are probably adapting their parenting accordingly.

Your description in the OP would not be autism alone.

I'm no psychologist so I can't say if the kid is really autistic or not. It does sound like he has some degree of intellectual disability or is on some heavy medication. But the OP really seems to think autistic people in general are just plain horrible by implying the typical autistic person is malicious, violent, destructive, rageful (is that a real word?) and has "bizarre" interests. Go figure.

It may be hard to believe, but from what you said it could be primarily a matter of parenting. I once taught a child who seemed to be mentally challenged in some way but his behavior didn't fit into any diagnosis. A teacher other than me suggested to the child's mother that she try out another parenting style, as this parent was overly indulgent, excused unacceptable behavior, and didn't push him in any way to do anything ever. The child repeated kindergarten, but once the mother started to provide structure, discipline, genuine encouragement, etc. the kid transformed and was then on able to succeed.

It was a *GREAT* time but as always their "little one" kept causing issues.

Any insights?

I would recomend you going to therapy to review how you feel and speak about others, so you can get cured of your lack of compassion and understanding and thus wont cause issues in others.

I just could read until I found that lovely sentence about the "little one" causing issues... Wow.

Let me share a YouTube channel that should teach you a thing or two:

Now, about that very nice kid I would just tell their parents: Hello, I have seen some lovely special interests in your son that reminds me a very friendly autists forum community. And if they show interest, you lend them this forum link.

Now, about the other people posting here: I am amazed that you could read all that text. Really. Congratulations on that.

Now, about the other people posting here: I am amazed that you could read all that text. Really. Congratulations on that.

I don’t know that congratulations are in order – it felt really sad and enraging. I was shaking afterward. I wondered if engaging was even worth the time and the sadness.

I don’t know that congratulations are in order – it felt really sad and enraging. I was shaking afterward. I wondered if engaging was even worth the time and the sadness.
I actually decided not to keep on reading for that same reason. It was just hurtfull to find that a person reach this forum to talk that way of a person like us, that was just a kid.

Personally, I didn't find it particularly offensive. Perhaps he's making implications that I'm not getting. I'm not good with implications.

Personally, I didn't find it particularly offensive. Perhaps he's making implications that I'm not getting. I'm not good with implications.

Ungrounded gossip about a minor of whom the OP is not a parent or guardian is a major breach of the minor's privacy. That kid cannot defend himself, provide accurate context or explain his perspective.

It is basically reducing that child to a pile of wrongs and asking the internet to diagnose that child. Not once was that child or their family taken into consideration by the OP.

Last edited:
Ungrounded gossip about a minor of whom the OP is not a parent or guardian is a major breach of the minor's privacy. That kid cannot defend himself, provide accurate context or explain his perspective.

It is basically reducing that child to a pile of wrongs and asking the internet to diagnose that child. Not once was that child or their family taken into consideration by the OP.

Thank you for explaining. I can see why that's a problem.

New Threads

Top Bottom