• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to get a diagnosis in the UK

Gift2humanity

V.I.P Member
Hello
I am writing on behalf of a friend, both they and me think they may be autistic.
I use the word "they" as I do not want to reveal anything about them publicly.
They are light sensitive.
They collect things.
They have a special interest.
They feel socially awkward, although I think they are quick witted yet shy.
They also have a medical condition which I won't disclose publicly, but many autistics have this condition.
I got my diagnosis of Asperger via my psychiatrist and earlier failed tests.
The friend does not have a psychiatrist.
I said GP first port of call.
In the meantime, can anyone point me towards some online tools to determine whether autism may be present (I know they are not diagnostic - I forget the name of the test that I used in my signature".
I can then send the links to the friend.

Hello
I am writing on behalf of a friend, both they and me think they may be autistic.
I use the word "they" as I do not want to reveal anything about them publicly.
They are light sensitive.
They collect things.
They have a special interest.
They feel socially awkward, although I think they are quick witted yet shy.
They also have a medical condition which I won't disclose publicly, but many autistics have this condition.
I got my diagnosis of Asperger via my psychiatrist and earlier failed tests.
The friend does not have a psychiatrist.
I said GP first port of call.
In the meantime, can anyone point me towards some online tools to determine whether autism may be present (I know they are not diagnostic - I forget the name of the test that I used in my signature".
I can then send the links to the friend.
If they need welfare benefits on the basis of high functioning autism there isn't much point in doing online tests you have to get a diagnosis .
The online tests are very frustrating and inaccurate, there are a few ,look for online autism tests ,all they do is add to the stress and anxiety while you wait for an official test
Therapists in the nhs don't like anyone suggesting they've diagnosed themselves .

Aspie tests

Do all the tests here.

Not clear aspie characteristic, many NTs collect.

Also, tell them they don't need to force an aspie diagnosis. It can't be cured.
They are not wanting a cure.
This is an unusual collection.
I don't collect things and I am diagnosed.
I just get this feeling they are Aspie.
They have the Aspie look about them.
They cannot bear light even in winter, so don sunglasses all of the time.
Being as Aspie there are other things which I can't think of the top of my head.

If they need welfare benefits on the basis of high functioning autism there isn't much point in doing online tests you have to get a diagnosis .
The online tests are very frustrating and inaccurate, there are a few ,look for online autism tests ,all they do is add to the stress and anxiety while you wait for an official test
Therapists in the nhs don't like anyone suggesting they've diagnosed themselves .
They have got a job and don't want benefits.
They are computer geeky and work with computers for a living.
They have a set routine.
As you can see I did some, I did my signature line before diagnosis.
Yeah, they just point towards possible autism rather than diagnose.
I am after an ADHD diagnosis not for the medication, I don't want that, I want it to be recognised as I am just seen as forgetful/impulsive/inattentive/procrastinating/ and other annoying traits, when really the ADHD diagnosis would validate me and it is also classed as a disability I believe.
I get benefits.
I just want to be seen as someone with challenges.
It would explain why I made so many stupid mistakes in my life and I would feel less like a loser.
The AS is less debilitating than the ADHD.
The remedy I would like would have to be non chemical.

They have got a job and don't want benefits.
They are computer geeky and work with computers for a living.
They have a set routine.
As you can see I did some, I did my signature line before diagnosis.
Yeah, they just point towards possible autism rather than diagnose.
I am after an ADHD diagnosis not for the medication, I don't want that, I want it to be recognised as I am just seen as forgetful/impulsive/inattentive/procrastinating/ and other annoying traits, when really the ADHD diagnosis would validate me and it is also classed as a disability I believe.
I get benefits.
I just want to be seen as someone with challenges.
It would explain why I made so many stupid mistakes in my life and I would feel less like a loser.
The AS is less debilitating than the ADHD.
The remedy I would like would have to be non chemical.
Any therapies via the nhs route need an official diagnosis ,from what I learned clinical psychologists seem to be much more accurate in helping than psychiatrists,find contact info for adhd trials \therapies as your health authority might! give funding for them,I have adhd but im not bothering.

Here are some more tests.

I hope this is helpful for your friend in their journey

psychology-tools.com

Based off their ADHD one (which were questions on my official assessment), I assume this autism one is accurate. It's a free test from a private clinic which does adult autism assessments.

https://www.clinical-partners.co.uk/for-adults/autism-and-aspergers/adult-autism-test

GP is first port of call. They'll do a questionnaire that's about 5 minutes long. Similar to questions in the above link. Then, if they score high enough they'll be referred. Waiting times on the NHS will be long though, even worse now due to COVID. Probably be waiting years, depending on the area. I've waited a year and my brother has waited over 2 for his.

A private assessment costs hundreds. I'd say anywhere between around £500-1000+

Ed

Got my diagnosis privately from Clinical Partners in UK, mentioned above, hideously expensive about a grand, but I wanted it to stay off my medical records and only a couple of weeks waiting list.

You do a few questionaires and a relative fills one in, then an interview with a consultant psychologist. They were fairly helpful. If you want to know more just let me know.

Any therapies via the nhs route need an official diagnosis ,from what I learned clinical psychologists seem to be much more accurate in helping than psychiatrists,find contact info for adhd trials \therapies as your health authority might! give funding for them,I have adhd but im not bothering.
I'm asking on behalf of a friend, I suggested to go to GP as they are not involved in MH services.
As for ADHD I think I have that, and it has been noted not just by me.
I'd like a diagnosis, I don't want ADHD meds, just an acknowledgement that there is a reason for my ADHD related behaviours because I feel like a loser.
My AS diagnosis explains a lot of things, which validate me, just the other behaviours impulsivity, waffling on, forgetfulness, inability to sit still, attentiveness or lack of.

Got my diagnosis privately from Clinical Partners in UK, mentioned above, hideously expensive about a grand, but I wanted it to stay off my medical records and only a couple of weeks waiting list.

You do a few questionaires and a relative fills one in, then an interview with a consultant psychologist. They were fairly helpful. If you want to know more just let me know.
I'll suggest it to the friend, don't know their financial situation.

New Threads

Top Bottom