• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to figure out your IQ if your an Aspie

matt000333

What is the best way to figure out your IQ if you're an Aspie? when I was being diagnosed I scored a low iq fsiq of 81 but was noted I could have higher score that score could be affected by depression which I have frequently I know i'm not a genius by any means but I always thought I had at least above average IQ I only had 2.4 grade average in school but I was never really interested in school so I didn't try that hard at it. anyway opinions on how to figure it out and what you think would be helpful.

IQ tests are generally inaccurate if you're on the spectrum, even more so if you're depressed as well. The easiest answer is: don't bother with finding out your IQ score, it doesn't mean that much anyway.
Why are you so eager to know? Is it about finding out your potential? Or about comparing yourself to others?

I don't think that there's such a thing as an accurate IQ test. Any result is dependent on your energy level at the time, whether you had coffee, what you ate for lunch, how you are feeling, etc - there are way too many variables. Also, Aspies often don't so well in times tests and don't fulfill their postential. When I've tried those tests, I always run out of time - I answer the first ones almost all correctly, then get a lower score because I didn't have time to finish it. I don't know my IQ score, but I'm sure it must be at least above average because I have a university postgrad degree. So the IQ tests don't show people at their full potential.

My IQ can easily vary by 20 points just by how tired I am when I take it. It only measures one area of intelligence, and is highly culture- and -age dependent, since it is also "how many facts do you know" that doesn't have much to do with analytic ability.

Don't let it affect you based just on that.

What is the best way to figure out your IQ if you're an Aspie? when I was being diagnosed I scored a low iq fsiq of 81 but was noted I could have higher score that sore could be affected by depression which I have frequently I know i'm not a genius by any means but I always thought I had at least above average IQ I only had 2.4 grade average in school but I was never really interested in school so I didn't try that hard at it. anyway opinions on how to figure it out and what you think would be helpful.

Your equals you're :D

Seriously though, do what I did, go to your local Autism centre and get an official IQ test.

Last edited:
Once the doctors figured I had ASD and other stuff, and I was referred to a Psychologist they didn't just give me a basic IQ test. They gave me an IQ profile... It was a series of (personal assessment tests). It was pretty cool but I fell asleep in the docs office taking one part... Embarrassing.

It's like 9 pages of stuff and in some areas I scored really low, some areas normal, some high, and some really high... So it wasn't this generic test with one final answer but averaged out mine was 123 (but they said they only use the individual scores). So in some areas I was really smart, and in some areas I was a "tard" - so guess where they like to work most?

There were some very unsettling remarks on there also. "Very low grade comm skills." I hated reading what I already knew... ug.

I remember Geometry and patterns (anything non-personal) were off the chart basically. Also I was much faster in those tests than the others, but when they gave scenarios of Jane did this, and Paul will do that, now what will you do??? I failed most all that and that's when I fell asleep... geez.

The first guy they sent me too was a world class ___ hole. We didn't get along at all. So he referred me to another guy (who I expected to be a jerk) and he was/is a super cool guy. We still talk every now and then.

Im not sure what kind of test it was but it was to help me get officially diagnosed at a university im just curious to know what my potential is I think im above average based on some stuff I read on internet but not for sure I might just be an idiot in denial or something based on that test I dont even know how to use proper grammar complacently just a little but at same time to me it would be waste of my time because I dont think it would benefit me to learn.

In the real world I've always thought IQ scores to be relatively impractical benchmarks.

That at best it might steer one in a nebulous direction in terms of aptitude for work and little else. Alleged "potential" will always be subject to other variables beyond your control, such as the economy and preferential hiring policies whether legal or not.

Im not sure what kind of test it was but it was to help me get officially diagnosed at a university im just curious to know what my potential is I think im above average based on some stuff I read on internet but not for sure I might just be an idiot in denial or something based on that test I dont even know how to use proper grammar complacently just a little but at same time to me it would be waste of my time because I dont think it would benefit me to learn.
what are you really interested in what would you like to do as a job for hours a day, when I did the IQ test the geometric symbols were easy for awhile and then I was just shattered I definitely would not be wanting the job where I will be looking for geometric symbols all day .

Well this is very intersting, because my therapist told me it was important to take an IQ quizz , and i told her i dont want to do it , that i am anxious about tests, and she think I might be depressed so kek it will be fun...

But she told me something similar to Streetwise, she thinks it can helps me in wich area I have more difficulties , it is not realy about the score itself.

Well this is very intersting, because my therapist told me it was important to take an IQ quizz

It's only important to them as a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist. Not important for you. ;)

I've only taken such tests for the military and a university job counseling program, apart those for my own edification and curiosity. Though never in my entire life have I encountered a question as to my IQ scores from a prospective employer in a formal job interview.

Last edited:
I was pretty depressed at the time so I didnt really have any strengths show up alot of weakness especially in memory and not processing info fast enough it said in final report I was trying to do voc rehab at the time the I would need special accommodation like job coach and if it didnt work out I should try to get on disability I tryed a janitor job for three days and I quit because it was to much to do in little time to do it.

As far as work I have no idea I have big ideas id love to do but would take alot of money other then that I would like to try career as poker player if I could go back in time id try to get into coaching because I like football so much but that time has passed so not an option anymore.

It's only important to them as a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist. Not important for you. ;).

Hehe that is also what i was thinking , but , i mean she explained it well so i think i will do it ( and yes it is expensive, the most expensive stuff of the process )

Hehe that is also what i was thinking , but , i mean she explained it well so i think i will do it ( and yes it is expensive, the most expensive stuff of the process )

It doesn't hurt to know your IQ, as long as you have no serious expectations of "doors" it could open.

I haven't undergone IQ testing.
I have sat through psychometric testing.
The results mapped out what areas of work I might be suited to.

It maybe approximately 17 years ago I sat this.

IQ mainly tests for one form of intelligence when human beings have so many different forms of intelligence: Musical/artistic, philosophical, logical/mathematical, spacial, social, emotional, kinesthetic, and there are probably more. And you can't compare a single one of those intelligences to another. Very hard to get an accurate test result on human intelligence, only for the result to be determined by a number. IQ, G.P.A. They're just numbers. Albert Einstein struggled in school; he said: 'if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid'. Is an adult unintelligent because it takes him/her three minutes to mentally calculate 8 x 8, but Pete forbid they have the unseen intelligence to pull a person out of depression? Individual human intelligence at its full potential is immensely too complex to be tested to the fullest extent. If you are not a genius in one area, you could still be a genius in another area. Not saying everyone is a genius. But everyone is gifted in their own ways. I'm saying that not every form of genius is visible or able to be tested. Is an unrecognized stay-at-home musical genius any less of a genius than a renowned mathematician or astrophysicist? You tell me.

Last edited:
You have some clear passions and big ideas of what you'd like to do and that says more about your potential than any IQ score ever could. No employer in their right mind would take an IQ score as a qualification or even a factor for a job, because as others have mentioned, there is so much more than IQ (there is EQ, personality, executive functioning, experience, interpersonal relations, work ethic, education etc.. etc.. etc.. ).

As for the score of 81, I would absolutely say depression would impact both memory and processing speed significantly. Maybe if you were not depressed you would score 100+!

I wouldn't worry too much about your score though. I scored above 130 on my test and while I do find some things easy, I can't tell you the number of times throughout my day that I just feel stupid. It's just information about your mind and can help pinpoint learning issues and strengths. In the grand scheme of life, IQ does not replace hard work, grit and the development of ones skills.

I scored a 139 when I was tested at the psychiatrist's office, yet there's so many times I feel like a complete and utter idiot... Personally I think IQ is overrated. What good is it having a high IQ, yet I struggle to form a sentence properly? It's just another label to stick on someone. In my opinion, of course.

I understand wanting to know one's IQ and to have a good result... there's a tacit value attached to it in pop culture, and much is made of people who are thought of as 'intelligent' at work.

I don't think the IQ score as a raw indicator of potential is wholly pointless as much as it is severely limited in scope. As Pondering above pointed out, there are different forms of intelligence. It's been often enough that I've met people who - and I appreciate I'm assuming and may be wrong - didn't seem conventionally gifted as in 'high IQ', but who were definitely smart and talented, just not in a rocket scientist-way. But the proverbial rocket scientist might not be a great (or even mediocre) actor, or profoundly and implicitly understand people's motivations, group dynamics, presentation, communication...

It's a simplistic example. But, I find that often enough, people who I suspect - and I again I may be way off! - might not be particularly intelligent in the conventional way that IQ tests measure, would be very misclassified (terrible word) as average or not gifted or just plain 'not (very) intelligent'.

For what it's worth, I got presentable results in the IQ tests I was given, but the fact that those scores are documented in a folder somewhere has never done anything for me. (Nor was it intended to, I suspect.)

It seems like nothing to worry about unless it's used against you. Otherwise, your IQ test score is fundamentally unimportant, generally. If you're seeking entrance to a job / career path / field of study that administers some sort of IQ test upfront - I believe you can train for them, contrary to what is generally said. And I think it was mentioned upthread: if you're not motivated, not focused or not feeling well, it will affect your result.

As far as figuring out your actual intelligence - tough one. I'm not aware that it's currently possible, and I'm not sure what a truly comprehensive IQ score, if it were to exist, would come to mean. I think it might come to be too easily equated with a person's worth.

I'm sure you have talents, interests and abilities - those are the things that matter. As far as IQ scores go, the most benign consequence seems to be that they don't matter. I can think of more ways that they could be used to hurt a person than to help them.

Thanks you guys and girls have helped alot I dont think its anything that will hold me back if I get motivated again most of the time I think im above average smarts but then I think how could I be when I haven't found a career yet and still waiting on SSI hopefully next appeal goes thru and I can get my life really started to be how I want it to be im not a guy that likes to blame other people but I had pretty bad upbringing and to me you have to be about genius level to get out of that if it wasnt for bad parenting I think I would be alot further ahead today then I am.

New Threads

Top Bottom