• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to deal with people who think ASD will 'just pass'?

SparklAng

Hi, I'm new here. I found this forum recently and thought it would be time to post- I'm not good at this sort of thing though!

I will get to the point. I am diagnosed with several mental health issues, anorexia, depression, OCD, etc. And I also am diagnosed with High Functioning Autism. I do not see the latter as a 'mental health issue', or an 'Illness' and it really irritates me when people say it is, and it can be 'fixed'! I mean, sure, there are difficulties that come with being on the spectrum, but there are also difficulties with being a 'neurotypical'. Is there anything to be fixed? Is it possible to turn unhealthy obsessions into positive, constructive ones? I was wondering about thoughts on this (admittedly wide) subject.

Is there anything to be fixed? Is it possible to turn unhealthy obsessions into positive, constructive ones?

It seems to me the real "formula" has to do with tolerance, understanding and acceptance.

Otherwise there's only those traits and behaviors we have, and to what degree we may or may not be able to "mask" them to fit into Neurotypical world on a superficial and temporary daily basis. Which IMO is not intended to be any kind of "fix". Just a means to avoid ridicule and persecution for being different.

That said, welcome to AC.

Last edited:
Hi I like Yr cat with balloons it's cute. Yes I don't know how having a different brain could be fixed and I wish instead there could be more thought about how to utilise the asp and aut assets. Respectfully, it's not like the NT dominated world is completely doing fine. Social skills aren't everything and maybe they distract people from putting a plan in place to organise things better. o_O Yes I think it's possible to extricate myself from obsessive thinking and behaviours especially since I understood these to be a part of having high autistic traits. I am starting to spot the pitfalls quicker now. But the other side of the equation is that some things can be obsessive and ok. Eg, I collect heart shaped pebbles and arrange them on surfaces. It's so pleasing. :rolleyes:

IMG_0252.GIF

but there are also difficulties with being a 'neurotypical'. Is there anything to be fixed? Is it possible to turn unhealthy obsessions into positive, constructive ones?

Wow, that is a remarkably mature question. I'm high functioning autistic/ aspie and in my 40s, I spent most of my 20s calling everyone an idiot and it only occured to me in my 30s to accept them and turn bad things into constructive ones. So really, I think you should probably be advising us...

So no, there is nothing that needs to be fixed, in fact now that I'm comfortable with my aspergers I see it as a benefit, almost a personality type and I wouldn't change it for the world. I can hyperfocus, I can think logically, I can spot patterns. I've been with my husband for around 20 years, he accepts me, predicts me and reads me, but he will never really understand me. I know this now, and I will never really understand him, but we accept each other and appreciate our differences. He has learned to work with debilitating emotions and I have learned to compensate for my sensitivities (once mistaken for ocd). So yes, it is possible to turn anything constructive, it just needs an open and creative mind to find a way.

I think I'd say, "Do you mind if I ask where you got that information from." honestly I'm not sure comments like this and other seemingly stupid comment could come from other than straight out of the mind of who ever is giving the comments or the views of those around them.
If the views were simply just thought up or something like that I think I'd say.
"I your don't know about something like Autism, the smartest thing to do is to take the time to learn about the true facts and Its really not helpful to Autistic people or the public in general to base or share your views solely on your own perception of a topic. Researching a topic is really as easy as googling the topic and spending even 10-20minutes getting the correct information."

Also I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with so many things at the moment. That must get really stressful and exhausting at times. I hope things start to improve and the world can cut you a brake.

I think I'd say, "Do you mind if I ask where you got that information from." honestly I'm not sure comments like this and other seemingly stupid comment could come from other than straight out of the mind of who ever is giving the comments or the views of those around them.
If the views were simply just thought up or something like that I think I'd say.
"I your don't know about something like Autism, the smartest thing to do is to take the time to learn about the true facts and Its really not helpful to Autistic people or the public in general to base or share your views solely on your own perception of a topic. Researching a topic is really as easy as googling the topic and spending even 10-20minutes getting the correct information."

Yes people's first thought it never their best thought.

Often it's someone else's thought.

Picked up from the current cultural virus distilled into meme form.

You have to assume most know nothing about nothing, as they're making social noises.
Otherwise social conversation would be 'dont know'
Haven't a clue etc
And there's only so many impressionns of Scooby Doo I can stand.
'i dunno'

And I stil contend Scrappy spoilt the whole thing :)

I think that there are 2 ways of dealing with ignorance:

1. Not get offended by it or take it personally, as usually they mean well but are mistaken,
2. Educate them. So if anyone tries to tell me that Asperger's is a mental health problem which can be cured or which will 'pass', I tell them that no, it is a neurological condition which affects how I perceive the world and interact with others, and it is a lifelong condition.

People saying autism is a mental illness is one of my pet hates, even a social worker has argued it's a mental illness and I eventually fell out with her because of it and I'm almost frightened to get a copy of my medical files because if I find it on there I will go nuts and it will cause me a lot more stress, but what's much worse is I've been put into housing where I've been mixed with NTs with mental illnesses which couldn't be less compatible with autism, in fact it's caused me all sorts of issues and problems in the past in what was an extremely unstable, noisy and very unpleasant environment for an autistic person, it was utterly ridiculous and extremely unfair. We are BORN with autism, IT IS NOT A MENTAL ILLNESS, it is a life long condition and autistic people couldn't be any more incompatible than mixed with NT mental health patients! I do agree that there are co-morbid conditions that could be considered mental illnesses, E.g. depression, but even then I think depression is often misdiagnosed and then harmful antidepressants are often prescribed that can make matters much worse in the long term. If a person feels "depressed" for a reason it's not in my opinion an illness at all and there is virtually always a reason, even if it's an underlying one from the past that isn't immediately obvious, in the case of autistic people we often find it harder to cope in an NT world and the stresses of this can often make us feel down for that reason. In other words the reasons why people feel down should be addressed to resolve or at least improve the issue, but unfortunately most doctors think harmful mind altering drugs are better because they're a cheap "quick fix" as far as they're concerned, another patient dealt with, goodbye.

My 2nd pet hate is NTs complaining about my autistic traits, it's not so much them thinking it will pass, but they often tell me just to stop them, at worst even telling me I'm doing it on purpose and that I can control it if I really want to. One problem I have is controlling the volume of my voice, I'm often told I'm shouting, but to myself I sound like I'm talking at a normal volume, I've practised trying to talk at what they see as a "normal" volume with a friend, when he says I'm talking normally I can't hear myself properly, it sounds like no-one can hear me and I'm constantly urged to increase the volume, if I was to talk like this all the time I'd have to be constantly conscious of my voice, concentrating on this alone and then I'd be unable to think about what I'm saying in a conversation, I simply can't do it and if I'm particularly emotional about something my voice apparently gets even louder. I've been in various situations where I've thought I was talking normally and I've be shocked to see security called because I'm apparently shouting which is misinterpreted as being aggressive when I am not in the slightest bit aggressive, this happened when I was talking to a receptionist at a doctors surgery for instance and incredibly they simply wouldn't listen even when I told them I was autistic and that I wasn't being aggressive, they just said we have a zero tolerance towards aggression and in the end I had to have a key worker explain to them after I was forced to leave, but I still didn't get an apology, instead they seemed to think I should apologise and all I did was talk louder than "normal" without realising BECAUSE I'M AUTISTIC, NOT BECAUSE I WAS BEING AGGRESSIVE. It is extremely unfair and you'd think a doctors surgery at least would be more understanding of a condition like autism. Another issue is I'm slow at processing words spoken and if a person talks too fast I often don't interpret it, especially if there's background noises. This means I often have to ask people to repeat and sometimes I still pick up words wrong, sometimes people get really annoyed when I still can't tell what they said even after they've repeated it and I have asked them to say it slower. I've had numerous people accuse me of not listening however, telling me that I should start paying attention to them, this is made worse because like many autistic people I find it very uncomfortable to give eye contact. Sometimes they say I should get my hearing tested and I explain that there's nothing wrong with my hearing and that it's slow processing due to being autistic, but I often don't seem to be believed and again I've even been told I'm doing it on purpose. My hearing itself is actually good, in fact sometimes too good and I struggle to cope with certain sounds that I'm over sensitive to that often don't bother NTs. I'm sick and tired of NTs having a go at me because I'm autistic. In fact there's even more autistic traits I could mention that NTs think I should just stop doing, but I will finally mention NTs complaining about me repeating things, and/or going on about things, I try my hardest not to do this, but it's usually automatic and even if I become conscious of it, it's still very difficult because I get a strong urge to speak and repeat, but NTs often get really annoyed at me for it.

Your questions are difficult to answer because I simply don't have all the answers, but most of the problems are trying to fit into an NT world where NTs don't accept us. Regarding obsessions, well some could be used for positive means, for instance an obsessive special interest can sometimes be used very constructively, E.g. in employment or perhaps to help others, depending in what it is.

Last edited:
Another issue is I'm slow at processing words spoken and if a person talks too fast I often don't interpret it, especially if there's background noises. This means I often have to ask people to repeat and sometimes I still pick up words wrong, sometimes people get really annoyed when I still can't tell what they said even after they've repeated it and I have asked them to say it slower. I've had numerous people accuse me of not listening however, telling me that I should start paying attention to them, this is made worse because like many autistic people I find it very uncomfortable to give eye contact. Sometimes they say I should get my hearing tested and I explain that there's nothing wrong with my hearing and that it's slow processing due to being autistic, but I often don't seem to be believed and again I've even been told I'm doing it on purpose. My hearing itself is actually good, in fact sometimes too good and I struggle to cope with certain sounds that I'm over sensitive to that often don't bother NTs.
I experience this, too, and have had people think that I am deaf or that I need to have my ears tested, by a former boss and by cabin crew.

My 2nd pet hate is NTs complaining about my autistic traits, it's not so much them thinking it will pass, but they often tell me just to stop them, at worst even telling me I'm doing it on purpose and that I can control it if I really want to. .

It is so horrible when that happens. In my experience, the people who tell you that it will pass are the same ones that tell you that you can control it. Usually.

New Threads

Top Bottom