• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to deal with heat?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
It's friggin' hot outside, it's hot inside my house, it's hot inside my office, I did not get a good night's sleep last night because it was friggin' hot in my bedroom, now I am struggling to stay awake at my desk at work where the heat is also being pretty killer (I explained to my boss what was going on and I am amazed at how understanding she is handling this, actually).

Should I drown my heat-related sorrows in one cup of ice cold water after another? I already tried drinking two cans of Monster, that did nothing to help keep me awake right now. I think I will stop off at a store and buy a fan on the way home from work today, though.

Anybody have any brilliant ideas on how to handle heat like this?

Cool clothes and fans. Lots of water and an ocassional Gatorade. With ice cubes. Don't drink a lot of sugar or caffeine.

Agree with @unperson I have a portable AC it is a wonderful thing. Can you get a window unit if you can't get a portable?

They're noisy but better than no air con. You need to insulate the hose.

Reflective window film cuts down on a lot of heat, you don't have to stick it on the windows if you're renting, you can just hang it like a drape, still works.

I am very sensitive to heat, always have been. It seems to get worse in our old age. The heat did not bother my wife ten or fifteen years ago, but it does now. We are lucky enough to have central air conditioning, so we get by. We are pretty much trapped in the house in the afternoon, everything that we do is in the morning. It is not to bad, considering that we been trapped in the house for a year and half because of covid.

I'm trapped in a hot climate too, if you want some exercise it has to be early. I don't like the house enuf to get central aircon, so a portable will do until I escape.

Portables are popular here for renters and motorhomers. It's a developing tech so there's still a lot of improvement needed. It's a reworking of the old box window/wall air con, so less efficient but renters can't always install box air con, although I have seen vids on youtube about it.

I have always been terribly sensitive when it comes to heat. It wasn't until I started working as a cook that I learned to tolerate it. I had no choice. I don't think anyone here has recommended cooling shirts (or cooling vests that can be worn over shirts). Depending on how much you're able to spend and your sensory needs, they could do amazing things for you... or not. Just an idea. Another idea would be a cooling hat if you like hats. At the old restaurant I worked at sometimes we would wear towels around our necks that were soaked in cold water. That's a cheaper option compared to cooling shirts / hats and yes, they worked.

A portable AC or small clip on fan is another idea. I found downing ice cold water helped me a ton.

Wear cotton! I found that wearing long button-down shirts & lighter-colored khaki trousers helped. Add a denim blazer & a hat & you're done with heat.

The portable ac sounds wonderful, great idea. We’re moving as far north as we can to beat the heat so I get it. Destination has 3-4’ of snow and temps in the negatives for months in the winters. We love it. Is moving in your future possible for you?

Wish you the best, hope you can get one of those portable ac units!

It's friggin' hot outside, it's hot inside my house, it's hot inside my office, I did not get a good night's sleep last night because it was friggin' hot in my bedroom, now I am struggling to stay awake at my desk at work where the heat is also being pretty killer (I explained to my boss what was going on and I am amazed at how understanding she is handling this, actually).

Should I drown my heat-related sorrows in one cup of ice cold water after another? I already tried drinking two cans of Monster, that did nothing to help keep me awake right now. I think I will stop off at a store and buy a fan on the way home from work today, though.

Anybody have any brilliant ideas on how to handle heat like this?
A portable A/C unit for at least one room is great, if you can afford it.
i lived in Arizona for a while & developed a few good strategies.
Open (screened) windows at bedtime or when temps drop.
(If you live in Az be careful with this one bc scorps wriggle inside under the screens.)

Pull all curtains or shades closed by 10 a.m.

Back way off on alcohol &
caffeine.

Put an air purifier by your chair or bed - these make white noise which is an added benefit to me.

Take a quick, cooling shower after your workout.

Get all chores done by 3 p.m., & then take another short, cooling shower. Leave your hair damp.

Get your schedule adjusted to wake at about 4:45 a.m. if you want to take advantage of the coolest time of the day.

Good luck!

I don't have any ideas other than what's already been posted. I just wanted to say that I have the same problem. Summers are miserable for me. I love the mornings before it gets hot, and I like the middle of the night when the heat finally drops, but the rest of the time is pretty horrible from the heat and how sticky and lethargic it makes me feel. Hope you've managed to get some relief somehow!

Turn on the shower and lean in and spray the back of your neck and your hair. It will freeze you for a few minutes.

Also try to keep humidity out of the house. That makes it really miserable.

Cook outside in the shade.

But the best advice is buy a little cheapie air conditioner. It makes all the difference.

And just remember in about six weeks it'll start raining and won't stop until next summer.

drink ice coffee with milk and sugar if you at home or if you want to go to starbucks hope it helps you

New Threads

Top Bottom