• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to deal with an Autistic co-worker?

ryan1205

Mr. I Don't Know
V.I.P Member
Hi. For a year now I have a job with a pressure washing and window cleaning company. This company is unique because they hire people who are on the spectrum to give them an opportunity in working. This is how I was hired through a program that helps young adults with Autism.

A couple months back I was promoted to work by myself. However I do not like working nights alone. Not because it's dangerous, but because it gets boring and lonely without any interaction with some people.

So recently told my boss that I would like to work with someone on the night route where I window clean that I do every two weeks. He agreed and set me up with a guy named David.

David has Autism but it is severe to me. (Excuse me for the term I used, I dont know a better term). He doesn't have problems speaking, in fact, he talks non stop about his favorite subjects. David has problems understanding how the work is done. He is slow at his job and doesn't understand a few rules when it comes to window cleaning.

I only worked with him one night and that night with stressful. Partly because I had to do those building again in the same week. David can get to talkative and sometimes talk to himself. I never worked with this guy before so I wasn't familiar with his quirks.

I told my boss what I thought about David and was thinking about working that route by myself instead if with someone. But I wanted to work with David again to give him more opportunities to work. (Since another co-worker who would rather work by himself than with David). However, I do not want to run into the same problems I had that night when I worked with him. How can I show David how to do the job properly without showing any frustration or annoyance?

I do believe in giving people with Autism an equal share of the work. This is the reason why I still choose to stay with the company because of who they hire.

Please excuse me if I came off brash about the situation. I just want to try to handle things different next time.

How would you feel if you put more of an emphasis on bringing him up to speed on the work and then, as both of you become more familiar with each other, suggest talking a bit less? I understand how you could feel stressed about him talking too much. In my life, I know that when I get anxious, I often talk way too much. Is it possible this could also be his way of dealing with anxiety?

David has problems understanding how the work is done. He is slow at his job and doesn't understand a few rules when it comes to window cleaning.

To begin with, some people in varying places on the spectrum need clear instructions. It might be a good idea to write down clearly what is involved. Make it into steps. First you do this, then this. In other words show him, exactly how to do it correctly. Then write it down, or have him write it down.

You may have to repeat a couple of times. Sometimes our ability to understand verbal instructions, takes some time. And some people are better at being shown how to do something than being told how to do it. Some people with autism are more visual learners than verbal ones.

I'd recommend a free app that is simple and works: Magnusmode - Creating a more inclusive world with it you create a series of cards with steps on how to do things. I have no idea where David is on the autism spectrum, so this may help.

Last edited:
Aside from the "quirks" that make David uncomfortable to be around, don't overlook the possibility that he might not be able to do the job.

Several people are suggesting ways to break through to him, but I didn't see where your job title is trainer or mentor. Your job is to do the cleaning, not bring someone else up to speed. And having to do your own work and then someone else's, is not fair to you.

So I would recommend you pass along the responsibility for David's success back to your boss. You can help David by being friendly and supportive when you do interact with him, but in my view, taking more responsibility than that is unwise.

Aside from the "quirks" that make David uncomfortable to be around, don't overlook the possibility that he might not be able to do the job.

Several people are suggesting ways to break through to him, but I didn't see where your job title is trainer or mentor. Your job is to do the cleaning, not bring someone else up to speed. And having to do your own work and then someone else's, is not fair to you.

So I would recommend you pass along the responsibility for David's success back to your boss. You can help David by being friendly and supportive when you do interact with him, but in my view, taking more responsibility than that is unwise.

You bring up a decent point for Ryan to consider. My bias led me to interpret that David was still new to the job.

not a lot to add other than that mias point about visual learning is quite correct I fit into that category I usually have to study something for a few minutes and then do it to learn it
reason, why i like, google earth over regular maps because it shows me what's useful to me iows the landscape without having mentally dig through the 100s of names that psychical map has.

Maybe you should chat with your boss about working with him and best way to improve his job performance. You aren't required to train him and unless that is your job? Your company has a lot of experience in hiring people and they should beable to instruct you.

How would you feel if you put more of an emphasis on bringing him up to speed on the work and then, as both of you become more familiar with each other, suggest talking a bit less? I understand how you could feel stressed about him talking too much. In my life, I know that when I get anxious, I often talk way too much. Is it possible this could also be his way of dealing with anxiety?

I only had met him once, and that was on that route. I do not know how he deals with anxiety. The only time we talk is in the car on the way to a certain place we have to window clean.

EDIT: I do not know instead of do know. Sorry.

To begin with, some people in varying places on the spectrum need clear instructions. It might be a good idea to write down clearly what is involved. Make it in to steps. First you do this, then this. In other words show him, exactly how to do it correctly.

You might have to repeat a couple of times. Sometimes our ability to understand verbal instructions, takes some time. And some people are better at being shown how to do something than being told how to do it. Some people with autism are more visual learners than verbal ones.

I'd recommend a free app that is simple and works: Magnusmode - Creating a more inclusive world with it you create a series of cards and steps on how to do things. I have no idea where David is on the autism spectrum, so this may help.

I will try those ideas. The thing is he has been working with the company the same amount of time as I have, only that he wasn't given enough time to work, and thus not learn enough. Partly because from what I heard, he likes to work once a week which is to his liking.

My specific job is to window clean. I wanted the help on the night routes which is why I want David with me. My boss tells me to try and to help him as much as I can since I am the one leading the route. David is just the help.

not a lot to add other than that mias point about visual learning is quite correct I fit into that category I usually have to study something for a few minutes and then do it to learn it
reason, why i like, google earth over regular maps because it shows me what's useful to me iows the landscape without having mentally dig through the 100s of names that psychical map has.

This is the same with me. It takes me a couple of tries to learn something. However David has been with the company the same amount of time that I was with the company. I believe he never was shown how to properly to do the job. This is because another co-worker, who has Autism and is the boss' son, is not good at giving instructions like he did with me when I first started.

Maybe you should chat with your boss about working with him and best way to improve his job performance. You aren't required to train him and unless that is your job? Your company has a lot of experience in hiring people and they should beable to instruct you.

My job right now for is to window clean by myself. I wanted some help on the night route that happens every two weeks. The company does not properly train you for this line of work. They first take you on a ride along and show up how to do the work. This is basically my task when someone is with me on a route. Not to babysit them, but to allow them to work and earn a paycheck. The problem is that David has not been properly instructed and I would like to properly instruct him so he can be ahead of the game.

I'm not sure I understood correctly. Are you autistic, too?

I have Asperger's syndrome, but very very mild according to people.

Anyways, thanks for all the answers. I will try to use them. I may have not stated things clearly and want to apologize for any transgressions and offensive I may have made. Please know, that I want to continue working with David but in all honesty, I need more patience with him because I have never had to lead before and never had to work with a guy with Autism.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom