• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to deal with a anxiety attack?

SalanaEiyungAisis

I just had the worst anxiety meltdown in the world. I forgot an important appointment and even though the psy of cegep said it was alright, I sob like a little girl and, because I had forgotten my supplies in a closing libary, I banged loudly on its door to get my things. Then, I went into the cellar of the cegep (where the psys are), but the secretary I usually talked with before meeting my psy was not there. So, I asked to see my psy and she did, offering me to go in the back to calm. I was so beserk I banged on the table, causing my psy to come back and say sternly (but gently): ''This is for you to calm down. This behaviour is unacceptable. Do you want me to call your parents? No, then if you do it, again, I'll have to throw you out.''

I HAD BEEN SHOWING UTTERLY EMBARRASSING BEHAVIOUR , BEFORE, BUT THIS TIME, I REALLY DID IT! I WANT TO DISSAPEAR, RIGHT NOW.

Does anyone, here ever had a panic like that? Do you have any tips to help me out, next time it happens? Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited:
Guess what Salana, you can't be perfect all the time. That's right, people do get upset, angry and act out. Everyone does it. It's not a sin to be upset. It's how you handle your anger that you have to work on, and it takes time and control. It's not going to happen in a day, it's especially difficult to control if you saw parents or siblings expressing their anger by slamming doors or having meltdowns or acting out in some way.

You can take some rapid breaths, blowing out slowly, concentrating on the breaths and by the time you get to five or six you should be calmer. It takes practice, and control but if you do it enough it works eventually.

Seems like you were angry at yourself for forgetting or for making a mistake of some sort, many people punish themselves for not being perfect. It's something we all do, and it's likely that Aspies have a perfectionist style that makes it hard to live up to. Don't be ashamed of this, it happens. I have more difficulty with the way your psy treated you, as if you were a child, rather than an angry adult. Her methods need working on.

Last edited:
Guess what Salana, you can't be perfect all the time. That's right, people do get upset, angry and act out. Everyone does it. It's not a sin to be upset. It's how you handle your anger that you have to work on, and it takes time and control. It's not going to happen in a day, it's especially difficult to control if you saw parents or siblings expressing their anger by slamming doors or having meltdowns or acting out in some way.

You can take some rapid breaths, blowing out slowly, concentrating on the breaths and by the time you get to five or six you should be calmer. It takes practice, and control but if you do it enough it works eventually.

Seems like you were angry at yourself for forgetting or for making a mistake of some sort, many people punish themselves for not being perfect. It's something we all do, and it's likely that Aspies have a perfectionist style that makes it hard to live of to it. Don't be ashamed of this, it happens. I have more difficulty with the way your psy treated you, as if you were a child, rather than an angry adult. Her methods need working on.
I think I had a meltdown because I am unhappy with my life. :'(

Sorry to hear Salana, is it the anxiety of being in school? Or is it the program you are in? Or perhaps being away from friends or family that is causing this. People do go through this, they often have a difficult time adapting to something new.

Sorry to hear Salana, is it the anxiety of being in school? Or is it the program you are in? Or perhaps being away from friends or family that is causing this. People do go through this, they often have a difficult time adapting to something new.
It's my programm, I'd say.

What are your difficulties with your program? Are there too many courses? Know that in cegep, language, sports and the core academic's, are compulsory. Is it the academic courses or the electives that are the problem, or both? Is it your course load?

It might be a good idea, since cegep just began, to see the course advisor. Maybe not too late to switch or drop some courses. This is your first semester? Make sure that you indicate to the student or course advisor that you are having difficulty, if you feel safe enough with your advisor, perhaps indicate that you are an Aspie.

Quelles sont vos difficultés avec votre programme? Y at-il trop de cours? Sachez que dans cegep, la langue, les sports et les universitaires de base, sont obligatoires. Est-ce les cours universitaires ou les choix qui sont le problème, ou les deux? Est-ce votre charge de cours?

Il serait peut-être une bonne idée, puisque cegep juste commencé, pour voir le conseiller en cours. Peut-être pas trop tard pour changer ou laisser tomber certains cours. Ceci est votre premier semestre? Assurez-vous que vous indiquez à l'étudiant ou le cours de conseiller que vous éprouvez des difficultés, si vous vous sentez suffisamment en sécurité avec votre conseiller, peut-être indiquer que vous êtes un Aspie.

Last edited:
What are your difficulties with your program? Are there too many courses? Know that in cegep, language, sports and the core academic's, are compulsory. Is it the academic courses or the electives that are the problem, or both? Is it your course load?

It might be a good idea, since cegep just began, to see the course advisor. Maybe not too late to switch or drop some courses. This is your first semester? Make sure that you indicate to the student or course advisor that you are having difficulty, if you feel safe enough with your advisor, perhaps indicate that you are an Aspie.

Quelles sont vos difficultés avec votre programme? Y at-il trop de cours? Sachez que dans cegep, la langue, les sports et les universitaires de base, sont obligatoires. Est-ce les cours universitaires ou les choix qui sont le problème, ou les deux? Est-ce votre charge de cours?

Il serait peut-être une bonne idée, puisque cegep juste commencé, pour voir le conseiller en cours. Peut-être pas trop tard pour changer ou laisser tomber certains cours. Ceci est votre premier semestre? Assurez-vous que vous indiquez à l'étudiant ou le cours de conseiller que vous éprouvez des difficultés, si vous vous sentez suffisamment en sécurité avec votre conseiller, peut-être indiquer que vous êtes un Aspie.
I just wished I could do something else.

Don't mean to question you so much Salana, but I think if you can narrow down exactly what is upsetting you. Maybe you could narrow down your course load and do only part time at first. It is possible to take only one or two courses at first, so it won't be so difficult for you. That way, you would be able to do it slowly at first and take your time adjusting.

Don't mean to question you so much Salana, but I think if you can narrow down exactly what is upsetting you. Maybe you could narrow down your course load and do only part time at first. It is possible to take only one or two courses at first, so it won't be so difficult for you. That way, you would be able to do it slowly at first and take your time adjusting.
Maybe.

New Threads

Top Bottom