• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to build your emotional intelligence

WereBear

License to Weird
V.I.P Member
Found some very fine advice in this article:

The Single Most Important Thing You Can Do to Build Emotional Intelligence

The most important factor in attempting to cultivate emotional intelligence is the importance of listening and not talking. When people feel like they are having difficulty with a social skill, their insecurities bring on talking. So, when people are insecure about something, they tend to talk a lot. The most important thing when you're trying to learn a skill often is to just be quiet. Listening is a vital part of trying to learn about emotional intelligence.

To the outside observer, I seem to have no social difficulties at all. Having only known I am Aspie for less than two years, I have spent a lot of time pondering how this could be. Since I am as Aspie as an entire Star Trek convention.

I think part of it is how I learned to use silence in my conversations. The less comfortable I feel, the quieter I am, but I am not perceived as some strange mute person because of it. Because while I am quiet and listening, I am also giving feedback.

• Brief eye contact during a pause
  • Brief nods at the end of “sentences” and “paragraphs”
  • I make sure my face is reflecting the substance of the conversation; sad for troubles, smiling for funny or cute
  • If they look at me for something, they want a phrase indicating sympathy with the tone of their story, like “how sad” or “that’s hilarious”
I think I must have read How to Win Friends and Influence People pretty early in this process, because there’s a lot of good stuff there, and the thing I remember most vividly was the author’s assertion that everyone loves to talk about themselves.

And indeed, that is so.

It’s not that I am faking any of this: I am an empathetic person and I do care about being a caring person for them. I got good enough at it, using logic about what they want from me, to the point that I do Tarot Readings for charity, which requires a high level of skill for an NT, much less an ND.

I never practiced in a mirror, though I understand that can be helpful for some. My lifelong interest in acting led me to pick up some useful techniques though, and one is what I call “face of glass.” When I feel the emotion, and then drop my mask to let what I am feeling actually show; people seem to understand what my face is saying.

So if you are having trouble, practicing with a helpful and willing person might go a long way. I have concluded that maybe a lot of my success might be coming from the fact that I was in a small family group a lot of time, interacting with younger siblings who were more forgiving of my “mistakes” (since they didn’t know any better themselves) and were quick to give feedback.

From the article:

The other side of emotional intelligence that's important to remember is that people are not looking to have their problems solved. They're looking to be able to experience the comfort of having another person present for them to vent to, but not to have problems solved. When you try to solve a problem for somebody else, it basically sends a message to that person that you can't tolerate listening to them talking. That doesn't demonstrate high emotional intelligence. They will feel that you are sending a backhanded message that you don't think they can solve the problem on their own. You don't want to send that message either.

Gee, I think this might just be the problem!

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this! Although I‘ve done that many times (the listening part) also many times, I have not been listened back, which is frustrating o_O.

I think that was at the core at my marriage failure. I would listen and support, but then -as he literally said to me once, sending me a mesage in Pinterest: “unsuscribe me from your issues” . Wow, from my own husband.

I am guilty of trying to solve problems or give advice. But I usually have done it AFTER the other person already gave me his own advice on my issues.

I dated a guy a few times recently (I don’t know if I’ll se him again) and he made a negative criticism on a blog post that I had very dearly written, that got literally more than 200 shares on Facebook. I accepted his criticism (although I don’t share his opinion) and he downloaded a LOT of his issues on me. So I listened, but afterwards (a few days) I gave him my opinion and how he could solve the problem.

I admit I did it in part because he told me that I needed to grow up a lot, emotionally speaking! Well, fine, I accept it, but he needs to do his own growing, come on!

Thanks for an excuse to vent :D.

I've been doing stranger portraits with my photography for over 10 years, long before I even thought of Asperger's... I still do lots of stranger portraits, because I enjoy doing it... And many times I have initiated conversation with people via my camera... I think I must have learned some tips along the way, or have some natural ability to do that...

I have learned the art of listening as well, I think just from people around me (I'm not always perfect though)

Found some very fine advice in this article:
Since I am as Aspie as an entire Star Trek convention.

Can you explain to me why you said this? Are aspies more into Star Trek, Dr. Who, etc then NT folks? Just trying to understand.

Can you explain to me why you said this? Are aspies more into Star Trek, Dr. Who, etc then NT folks? Just trying to understand.

Referring to the nerdy, geeky, imaginative, and detail-oriented aspects of being on the Spectrum in a metaphor.

I understand the stereotype of Aspie = “Nerd.” I am not sure if it’s ALWAYS technically true?

Also, are there really MORE “Aspies” into Star Trek, Star Wars, and Dr. Who then NTs? I honestly don’t get the fandom of any of these movies/ shows nowadays and I was around to see them when the shows first came out! They were fun, and all, but I never understood this obsessive fandom. I am only half aspie according to the “Aspie test.” Maybe that’s why I don’t get it.

The other side of emotional intelligence that's important to remember is that people are not looking to have their problems solved

A friend contacted me yesterday because she learned that I had separated.

We haven’t talked in more than a year because I intentionally didn’t want to talk to her anymorw, in spite of having been friends for a long time.

Why? Because she critizes me and/or asks me to do stuff for her, when I never critize her or ask her to do stuff for me.

Yesterday it wasn’t that bad, but the first thing she did when she left the voice message, was to give me advice on what I should do, without even listening from my own mouth how I was doing or what I was doing.

I’ll keep her friendship, but from a distance. The assumption that she thinks how to do things in my life better than me is horrible for my selfsteem and also for my peace of mind (I end up angry, or having to control anger).

It’s the same as talking with my mom, dad or any of my sisters (which is why I keep a safe distance from them).

(BTW my sisters are younger than me! And have never been married or had children).

I’ll keep her friendship, but from a distance. The assumption that she thinks how to do things in my life better than me is horrible for my selfsteem and also for my peace of mind (I end up angry, or having to control anger).

Yes, I have learned that people are doing the best they can, and advice not asked for can seem like I am implying they should do better.

Last edited:
I understand the stereotype of Aspie = “Nerd.” I am not sure if it’s ALWAYS technically true?

Also, are there really MORE “Aspies” into Star Trek, Star Wars, and Dr. Who then NTs?

It's probably a question of degree. Aspies usually are more geeky/nerdy than average. A Star Trek fan can wear Vulcan ears to a con, or can translate Christmas carols into Klingon. The more deeply into imagination, details, and immersion, the more someone is showing "Aspie traits."

The science fiction fandom was the very first one, with the most passionate and devoted fans of all, and that is still true.

New Threads

Top Bottom