• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I need advice on how to be persuasive to my future bosses.

Yesterday I sent an email to a local restaurant with my resumé; in it, I added that I like local businesses and wanted to work at a local restaurant as opposed to chain restaurants. I do actually mean that, and definitely don’t want to work at chain restaurants; but I was hoping that they would take it as I may soon not available for them and may opt to work at the many chain restaurants. So far I’m still waiting to hear back from them.

I want advice on how to be more persuasive, how often should I contact the businesses I applied for? And how what are some techniques I can use to be more persuasive?

Be knowledgeable about the business and their practices. Actually go to the business before your hired if possible. See the operation.

For a job like that, I would apply in person, asking to see the manager.
An email is impersonal, and easily deleted/forgotten.
But if a manager remembers a respectable, responsible, mature individual that's attached to that resume, there's a much greater chance they'll call you back for an interview at least (assuming they are hiring).
I would follow up with a phone call between 3-7 days later, asking for the same manager, by name this time since I'm sure you got it when you talked the first time.

Be knowledgeable about the business and their practices. Actually go to the business before your hired if possible. See the operation.
Very useful. The way I approached an interview was to be able to know the operation well enough to explain how my skills would benefit them. I found it exhausting to sell myself, but necessary.

physically showing up in suitable work clothing, asking for work impresses, that way they don't need to advertise. I wouldn't impugn fast food industry in your application as everything is a production line, eventually. There's an implied failure to understand the process/profit/capitalist thing there which could make you look stoopid

Dress for success they always say. And considering global warming I'd say nothing says 'I got this' this season like having your prospective employer see you pull up on a camel in gorgeous Tuareg Indigo.

tuareg.jpg

I hate to say this, but showing up in person for the hospitality industry. I showed up for retail and got a job but the male manager liked me so l was lucky.

Other jobs- job fairs, calling and speaking to manager, or asking when manager is there. I always get more hours then l want, there isn't part/time in the restaurant, it's more like you are on call all the time.

The last job l was at, my female boss who had been there forever retired, then the CEO brought in a male lineup. If l had applied now, maybe l would not have been hired. The CEO liked men managers more than female. He also hired an incredibly slow male bartender too.

To add to the excellent responses above...

Yes, for retail / food service, walk-in is perfectly fine, and a better way to make an impression than an online application, unless they specifically ask for the latter, in which case you might wonder if that's the type of place you want to work at.

* Learn as much as you can about the company - its history, local history, community events they've participated in or sponsored recently. Show that you are able to fit in just fine, since when an employer is faced with multiple suitable candidates, they're often going to pick the one they think is the "best fit."

* Show up during an off peak time (for restaurants, if they don't close mid-day, 2 PM may be a good time) with 3 copies of your resume and cover letter, and dressed for an interview.

* Ask to speak to the manager, and be prepared to do an interview on the spot.
- The reason why I suggested 3 copies of your resume and cover letter is that they may choose a 2 person interview - a manager and someone else (such as a senior staff member), in which case they can each have a copy to look at while you have one to refer to yourself.
- If they offer to schedule an interview later, great!
- If the manager offers to take a resume and cover letter and contact you later, then sure, provide a copy of each, then confirm their name and follow up in a few days.

* If the manager's not in, you have a couple options, and which one to pick is really situation:

- If a shift supervisor or assistant manager offers to take a resume and cover letter, do so, while asking for the manager's name so you can follow up in a few days.
- Otherwise, get the manager's name and if possible, ask the staff member about their potential availability in the next couple of days and come back.
- Remember the name and position of the person you gave your resume to so you can reference that.

* One common question is "why do you want to work for us?"
This is your opportunity to provide an answer (and cover this in the cover letter / email as well) where you can stand out. It's okay to say who like small businesses, but we can do better.

A potential answer might be:
The first time I remember coming to Dot's Diner was when I was six, and my grandma brought me here for lunch when she was visiting. I have fond memories of this diner, and I'm sure many others have as well since it opened in 1960. I would love to have the opportunity to work here, so that I too could help create such warm memories for others.

* Another common question is "where do you see yourself in (period of time)?"
This is one of those where you want to understand the organization and know some of the other positions you could potentially move into.

I like working with people, and sharing what I've learned with others. I'd like to think that perhaps in two years I might be a shift supervisor, continuing to provide my best service to our customers on a daily basis, while helping the manager with administrative duties like scheduling and event booking and planning.

* Watch out for the random questions. I don't know why but some people like total oddball questions like "if you were a fruit, what would you be and why?" Autistics in particular tend to struggle with such open-ended questions, so please please be prepared and try not to get smacked by something out of left field.

I would be an apple as an apple a day keeps the doctor away, and so I help keep people healthy!

I'm a former job search coach and while it's been some time since I've been in the field, I'm happy to provide guidance where I can.

Yes, for retail / food service, walk-in is perfectly fine, and a better way to make an impression than an online application, unless they specifically ask for the latter, in which case you might wonder if that's the type of place you want to work at.

* Learn as much as you can about the company - its history, local history, community events they've participated in or sponsored recently. Show that you are able to fit in just fine, since when an employer is faced with multiple suitable candidates, they're often going to pick the one they think is the "best fit."

* Show up during an off peak time (for restaurants, if they don't close mid-day, 2 PM may be a good time) with 3 copies of your resume and cover letter, and dressed for an interview.

- The reason why I suggested 3 copies of your resume and cover letter is that they may choose a 2 person interview - a manager and someone else (such as a senior staff member), in which case they can each have a copy to look at while you have one to refer to yourself.
- If the manager offers to take a resume and cover letter and contact you later, then sure, provide a copy of each, then confirm their name and follow up in a few days.

* If the manager's not in, you have a couple options, and which one to pick is really situation:

- If a shift supervisor or assistant manager offers to take a resume and cover letter, do so, while asking for the manager's name so you can follow up in a few days.
- Otherwise, get the manager's name and if possible, ask the staff member about their potential availability in the next couple of days and come back.
- Remember the name and position of the person you gave your resume to so you can reference that.

This is your opportunity to provide an answer (and cover this in the cover letter / email as well) where you can stand out. It's okay to say who like small businesses, but we can do better.

The first time I remember coming to Dot's Diner was when I was six, and my grandma brought me here for lunch when she was visiting. I have fond memories of this diner, and I'm sure many others have as well since it opened in 1960. I would love to have the opportunity to work here, so that I too could help create such warm memories for others.

This is one of those where you want to understand the organization and know some of the other positions you could potentially move into.

I like working with people, and sharing what I've learned with others. I'd like to think that perhaps in two years I might be a shift supervisor, continuing to provide my best service to our customers on a daily basis, while helping the manager with administrative duties like scheduling and event booking and planning.

* Watch out for the random questions. I don't know why but some people like total oddball questions like "if you were a fruit, what would you be and why?" Autistics in particular tend to struggle with such open-ended questions, so please please be prepared and try not to get smacked by something out of left field.

I would be an apple as an apple a day keeps the doctor away, and so I help keep people healthy!

I'm a former job search coach and while it's been some time since I've been in the field, I'm happy to provide guidance where I can.

What an amazingly thorough reply. Very nice! :)

I used to be in an IT management role and would regularly interview people.
I often got more information about "fit" of a candidate from the questions that weren't the ones people had prepared answers to. That's probably where the random oddball questions come in. I never personally asked the "if you were a fruit" type questions, but I would question people about the hobbies/interests section of their resume. My word of advice would be, don't put a hobby/interest on your resume if you don't know anything about it.. lol. I had some interviewees like that..

Me: Oh, so you like books? Who's your favourite author?
Interviewee: Uhhh.. Ummm. I don't know..

I would try to see how much depth of knowledge they had on a topic that was supposedly an interest to them. It was often very telling of if they were going to fit on my team.

Dress really well. You are a product. Sell yourself. Aspies are really good at faking confidence for short periods of time to fit in. Be the best person for the job before you even walk through the door.

Thanks Victor☺.

Don't go for walkins on your off days. Like those days where l think where did l place my brain last nite, l should check the fridge because l ate something at 12:00 am.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to walk in. Off hours (between lunch and dinner if they serve both) would be best. And if they tell you they are not looking, ask if they know of any restaurants to are.

Should have added let them know what position you are looking to fill. Do you want to cook? Be a wait person? If so and you have any relevant experience have that ready. Honestly in this environment if you appear outwardly capable if sure many establishments would train.

I have been stopping by the place I have applied to daily, and asked to talk to the manager but so far, he hasn’t shown up yet. Should I email my resumé again while I wait?

My printer’s power cable is missing and the replacement cable I ordered won’t arrive until August; so I can only email resumés or show them on my iPad or iPhone.

Is it possible the manager is on vacation, or away on a family emergency? If so, you may want to consider the fine line between seeming too persistent by showing up every day and wanting to express interest.

As for getting a print copy, how about your local library, WorkBC affiliate, or a print shop?

Don't know if you're still looking, but I was in your neighbourhood on the way home today, and the local DQ has a number of "Short Staffed" signs posted.

Might be an opportunity there if things don't pan out at the other restaurant.

New Threads

Top Bottom