• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How old were you when you got your first job?

Questella

Peace, Love and all that good stuff
How old were you when you got your first job? And what was it, how did you get it? How was it?

I'm curious, I wasn't allowed to work when I was school aged, I didn't get my license until I was 18, and immediately started applying everywhere I could think of... I only ever got three interviews in the couple years post high school before I started doing something else (I was in college for a while, married, ran away from him, was homeless for a minute) so there was a local club and I just started working there...

I've always been fascinated by people working in stores,especially at the mall, when I was 18-19-20 I wanted to work at the mall so bad lol.

So I've only ever worked housekeeping for a week but got fired because I took too long, (we'll they don't want you to actually clean anything just straighten up, hotels are straight scary). I worked at a grocer for only 2 hours before they sent me home and two weeks later told me I wasn't needed...

Anymore of don't bother looking I tried after I had my kid for a couple years bur then ended up crazy depressed, I only had 1 interview from hundreds of apps (and they take hours to fill out these days not like back when it was just like a page or two of paper, wtf) filling out online applications is the worst thing... :( :( :(

Now I'm even more fascinated by anybody that can get like a real job, in like an office, I always thought I'd be working in an office...

My first full time job, other than working with family or little one day jobs, was in an afterschool care program. I would have been around the age of 20. I think they must have been desperate for staff because all i really did was hand in my resume, say im interested in working there (as there were actually no positions being advertised) and that was it, by the next week i was working. I worked there for close to two years i think before i got another job in a different afterschool care program. Since then ive just been jumping around through all the different companies.

I started out washing cars at a workshop when I was 15, during school holidays. This gradually expanded to working as a mechanic. I later took over my dads business part time while I was at uni, before getting a design job, again starting out part time, doing a few odds and ends, spent 7 years there.
I was 30 when I first got a job through an actual application and interview process, I think that has always been my weak point, everyone I have worked for has been happy with me, but I've had a lot of lousy interviews and a lot more unsuccessful applications. While working in an office can be nice, I wonder if I'd be happier mowing lawns or something.

12 years old. Delivering newspapers. At 15 I got a bigger motor paper route. I did that until I got my 2ed job at 18. U S Army.

I did cut lawns for money at age 11.

I did general labour work for an employer during summer break when I was in college at age 19.

I'm determined to get a job the second I turn 14 and 5 months. That's the working age here, so yeah.

After I graduated high school, so 18 or so. I went to some temporary labor service and did a few odd jobs, worked at Wal-Mart for a short while...hated both (especially the first, never knew what I was going to do), went through frustration trying to find something more permanent. I didn't start driving until 20 (I was definitely behind in life skills for sure), but then again it's hard to even get that ball rolling without saving up the money for it.

My current job now isn't too shabby, it's not a college career (tried that too) but I've been doing it to this day. Still have that constant urge to better myself and maybe go back to school again so I can do something a little more meaningful in this lifetime of mine. Only time will tell...

Last edited:
I was 17 when I got my first grocery bagging job at the midwestern chain Hy-Vee. I just filled out a paper application, went in for the interview and got the job. It was nearly the same as my current job is now, except I worked outside doing drive-up and bringing in carts regularly, never did shopback, and I didn't recognize the behavior of some customers (including one coworker's husband, who I now know was flirting with me) as inappropriate.

I was 21, and started officially working on campus at my university organic garden. I had already been volunteering there for a few months, so imagine how excited I was when I found out I could work there. I was there for 10 months, until I quit to pursue the far more exciting career of...being a college dropout.

I tutor for a volunteer program that helps students get back up to speed when they fall behind in school. I started when I was sixteen years old, and now I have over two hundred volunteer community service hours as a result.

Obviously, I don't get paid by the hour. The only form of money I was ever given directly by the foundation was in the form of gift cards at the end of the school year as a way to thank me; however, the scholarships I can get from showing my hours to a college is basically the equivalent of a generous hourly wage. That, and I'm pretty much guaranteed for a work study position at that same foundation once I'm a college student.

Just turned 19, got a voluntary position in an Oxfam Charity shop in Town in May 1995, was there for 4 months before I resigned and went to College to do an NVQ Retail course (I wanted to do computers but was shoved onto the Retail course).

My first paid job was ironing clothing at a dry cleaners (owned by girlfriends parents) at twelve after school, with my best friend. Didn't mind it, she and I had fun, although I burned my arms and hands quite a bit at first. Second was baby-sitting on weekends, also had a paper route for several years.

15 and I worked in a fish and chip shop. I stopped going to school for the last 6 months of my final year so I could work there instead.

New Threads

Top Bottom