• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Often Do You Bath?

Luger999

Anyone here who find taking bath/shower to be a sensory nightmare? If yes, how often do you bath?

Spooky, I just got out of the shower and the term "sensory nightmare" was playing in my head the whole time. To cut down on showering without sacrificing sanitation, I take a "dry bath" with wet wipes or hand sanitizer every other day, and shower the other days so I can wash my hair. I could technically wash my hair without showering, but my hair being wet is the worst part. So yeah. Wall of fans takes care of that awful still-sort-of-wet feeling.

Still gotta stay clean. So that's my happy medium.

If you get this pirate ship, then you'll totally transform bath time into a fun adventure!
Screenshot_20180115-184403.jpg

For me is not about a sensory issue, I love to take a shower but getting dry is boring af. I guess I shower every 2 days, 3 at ost because I can't fix my hair.

I have sensory issues big time, but to be dirty or oily feeling over rides those issues... I have always loved water... So a shower, the lake, the pool, the ocean its all cool with me. I just dislike "hot" or high pressure water hitting my skin. I take 2 or 3 showers a day usually. : )

I shower before I leave the house for errands or work, but I much prefers baths. I’d love them even more if I had this Cthulhu playset. :tonguewink:

A898785E-278F-4C03-89D3-938C05976DB7.jpeg

Jorg, I can't fix my hair either. Luckily it curls on its own, all I have to do is muss it up and it's fine. But I agree, I hate stepping out of the shower into a cold bathroom and then having to dry myself when I can barely reach my feet anymore. It's a drag. I even googled to see if there was a whole body air dryer. There is but it's very expensive and who know if it works. You have my sympathy.

Spooky, I just got out of the shower and the term "sensory nightmare" was playing in my head the whole time. To cut down on showering without sacrificing sanitation, I take a "dry bath" with wet wipes or hand sanitizer every other day, and shower the other days so I can wash my hair. I could technically wash my hair without showering, but my hair being wet is the worst part. So yeah. Wall of fans takes care of that awful still-sort-of-wet feeling.

Still gotta stay clean. So that's my happy medium.
What a creepy coincidence. I think this is what some call synchronicity.

Anyway, now effective is dry bath? Do one still smell after taking it?

What a creepy coincidence. I think this is what some call synchronicity.

Anyway, now effective is dry bath? Do one still smell after taking it?

It's perfectly effective. I actually did it before I ever knew I was Aspie, my old biology professor taught me about them. Apparently the alcohol kills all the bacteria that cause bodily odors, and is even effective for the prevention and treatment of acne. She didn't say anything about whether it was viable long-term and I didn't ask, so I just use it to cut down on rather than eliminate traditional bathing.

Baths every night before bedtime, mainly in the winter. I shower when it's hot or when I need to wash my hair. Don't find it a sensory nightmare, now brushing my teeth with regular toothpaste, that's a sensory nightmare.

Every 4 days, 3 days if it's really humid and hot outside. I do like showers and baths. I never really can stay in a bath very long, I find it boring after a minute especially when the bubbles stop.

It's perfectly effective. I actually did it before I ever knew I was Aspie, my old biology professor taught me about them. Apparently the alcohol kills all the bacteria that cause bodily odors, and is even effective for the prevention and treatment of acne. She didn't say anything about whether it was viable long-term and I didn't ask, so I just use it to cut down on rather than eliminate traditional bathing.

Umm.. doesn't it sting down under?:eek: I bought some wonderful smelling mint body wash but OMG some places are off limits!!!

Like sportster, the current weather situation means 2 showers a day is not out of the question. I rather bath - as the acoustics and claustrophobia of the average shower cubicle get to me. We have a second small bathroom (shower and toilet) in the garage, with no shower door or curtain, so not as bad. I've been known to leave the door open as well .

Sorry for the sensitive types, but it pertains to the topic.

Baths used to be a sensory nightmare for me....when I was much younger, my mother would wash my hair for me, and her nails would dig into my scalp and really hurt. Sometimes she'd even want to wash my hair in the sink, and that was just the worst. I liked baths a lot better when I was finally deemed old enough to wash my own hair and practice my own hygiene.

I don't really take baths much anymore, but I do take showers, and those aren't really a problem for me. I take one every morning.

I have not taken a bath in a very long time, however I usually shower twice a day. In the morning to wake up and in the evening to clean up. I really like my shower, that hot water feels soooo good on poor old back.

I hate washing! But I love being clean, so tolerate the nightmare.

I must set my mind to showing, because it is such a hateful thing to me, that I need to psych myself up for it.

I used to brush my teeth in the morning only, because that was a trial enough, but after having 3 teeth removed, due to acid erosion ( gallbladder), I decided that if I wanted to protect my other teeth and not go to that awful place called a dentist, then I must do all I can to make my teeth and gums well and so, I started to brush in the evening too and use natural toothpaste and very rarely get toothache and in fact, once, when I had to use "ordinary" toothpaste, I suffered tooth pain. Went back to my natural one and voila pain disappeared.

Just to add, I use my hair as a guideline, because in truth, my life is not active enough to make me need to shower and so, roughly 3 times I suffer the horrors.

Last edited:
I haven't taken a bath in a long time as I prefer showers.
Ease of getting in and out and shorter time to accomplish.

I do the dry bath sometimes that was spoken of.
Not really dry as sanitizer and use of baby wipes I found are good. Even a wet wash cloth.

In the hot summers here, I often use the garden hose outside to cool down with watering myself as much as the garden and we have a pool.
Sometimes I shower daily if I have a lot of things where I am going to be around others to do.
I like clean and to look my best I need to wash my hair.
Even 1 or 2 days without that is not good.
Wish mine were naturally curly. But it is straight and sweat/oil makes it not good in no time.

The drying off part is what I dislike most, too.
It is time consuming, tiring, boring and then there is the hair! If it is cold weather I take time to blow it dry.
In summer I can let it dry naturally.
One of those all over dryers would be a nice thing.:rolleyes:

The drying off part is what I dislike most, too.

One of those all over dryers would be a nice thing.:rolleyes:

Me too... I love the shower part (as long as water is not hot or on high pressure) BUT I dislike the drying off part. I bought the softest towels I can find. I wash them and double Downey them and use 2 bounce sheets in the drier... I dislike stuff "dragging" on my skin... Its like I want to lose my mind sometimes. I'm not sure if it hurts or if it tickles, or if its both... It stings sort of... is the best way I know to describe it, BUT being clean is just a very basic part of who I am... I have to be clean or its going to be a really bad day... So I go through this nightmare to have a really good day.... : )

New Threads

Top Bottom