• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Phone contacts in your phone
Facebook friends in your list?

Do you try and keep numbers even? Odd? Rounded in 10's? Do you think less is more? What's the highest or lowest you've had?

I have 7 phone contacts. 2 are services, 2 are work colleagues, 2 are family and the other is my partner.

I've left and rejoined FB several times and purged and re-added people even more than that. Lowest it got to was 15. Highest it got to was high 200's. Right now it's sat at 32. I'd prefer it to be 30, or 33. But it's sat at 32 and that number annoys me. 321 would be nicer. But over 300 friends is ridiculous. I wouldn't even consider the ones in my list true friends, but when I start thinking like that I pull a Stalin and purge everyone again

Ed

I have 1 phone contact and 5 FB contacts. I only let the people I really trust into my life.

There was a point in my life where I had a couple hundred FB "friends", but I deleted that account after realizing that they weren't really true friends.

Steam for me. About 120 on my list there.

There are some I talk to frequently, a couple I talk to very frequently, and many that are only occasionally. Unlike with most people and Facebook though, there is always an actual reason for anyone ending up on this list... particularly as I never send invites myself. Anyone that is on that list is someone who had a reason to send an invite my way.

There's a few major reasons why this might happen:

1. I worked directly on a few games as one of the dev team. For one game in particular, I had control over much of the project for.... some reason. When it comes to those games though, or anything by that particular development studio (Arcen), people that want to know more or want to discuss those games or ask questions often come to me.

2. Naturally this means that others involved in those projects are also on my list.

3. Some are other developers that Ive met and occaisionally deal with, often related to testing purposes beyond the normal "early access" stuff that most users have access to.

4. I seem to have developed a bit of a reputation in some sections of the Steam community. Sometimes someone I've never seen before will recognize me from somewhere that has nothing to do with Arcen. Sometimes an invite follows.

5. A very, very few are people I've actually met at conventions. Most people on my friends list there arent even aware that I do that stuff. I do not inform them of any of that until I've gotten to know them a bit. But yeah, some were met directly at those events. Not many though as I'm about as social as a brick.

6. I write up guides and such every now and then. Some invites are from people who are really into a particular game that I wrote up something for, so they figure, hey, here's someone I can talk with about said game.

7. On rare occaisions, one of the people on the list will tell someone else that they should come talk to me.

8. And lastly, there's a select few that appeared because of some crazy bullet-hell footage I posted on Youtube or somewhere. That stuff tends to attract certain people.

And that's how it goes. I dont take part in social media like Facebook or Twitter. But I've always used direct chat programs like AOL, and now Steam.

AOL is the one I miss though. I used to be on their messenger function all the freaking time. It was a major part of my teen years, and for quite awhile after. Sadly I've since lost touch with those I used to know on there.

I never used AOL myself. I don't use steam for chatting. I have discord and fb messenger. I deleted most people on fb as they weren't really friends and a lot didn't use fb as an instant messaging programme.

There's only so many times you can be met with silence when trying to strike up a conversation before you give up.

Ed

I have 141 phone contacts, although there are only a handful I regularly contact. I don’t like phone calls so I mostly communicate through WhatsApp.
I have 381 Facebook friends, but pretty much all of their content is hidden from my timeline because I have zero interest in the things they share with me. Only people that regularly post interesting or funny stuff and close friends are shown on my timeline.

Ah yes, I unfollowed everyone on my Facebook list. I don't read the news, and I didn't really care for people's reactions to current events.

Ed

I have about 34 on Facebook and that has remained constant over the years. I only add very few people. I do have membership in some Facebook groups, and sometimes someone from a group wants to friend me. I have to explain I don't do "friends." I will respond to a direct message in Facebook, but not to maintain a conversation, just to reply and if necessary, set a limit.

I only recently started using my smartphone more like a PDA - adding contact info so I won't have to look it up again later. Call me a late adopter!

The only phone contacts i have are for my father, stepmother, grandmother, and myself. As i don't like adding numbers i don't need. I have a few business cards with the numbers of my superiors, doctors, or others i need to occasionally contact.
I deleted my Facebook years ago.

u: I now have 4 phone contacts. Created a contact for colleague i befriended at work.

Last edited:
I have 26 contacts on my phones contact list and are split about evenly between business contacts and family. I have three different ring tones, one for family, one for business contacts and one for everyone else. I do not use Facebook. I see it as a place to get bad information and hurt feelings.

Phone contacts in your phone
Facebook friends in your list?

Do you try and keep numbers even? Odd? Rounded in 10's? Do you think less is more? What's the highest or lowest you've had?

I have 7 phone contacts. 2 are services, 2 are work colleagues, 2 are family and the other is my partner.

I've left and rejoined FB several times and purged and re-added people even more than that. Lowest it got to was 15. Highest it got to was high 200's. Right now it's sat at 32. I'd prefer it to be 30, or 33. But it's sat at 32 and that number annoys me. 321 would be nicer. But over 300 friends is ridiculous. I wouldn't even consider the ones in my list true friends, but when I start thinking like that I pull a Stalin and purge everyone again

Ed
I have no contacts on my cell phone. Mainly because I don't have one. How do I function without a cell phone? Very peacefully and without stress.

On Facebook, my friend count is 0, my followers are 0, members I follow is 0, my group membership is 0. I like it that way.

Purged my facebook account around 2009. Had no reason to have it other than keeping in touch with friends and family which was usually done by phone. Haven't had a cellphone since I retired.

Was once deep in a forest exploring, and my cellphone rang. It made me angry, to be so disturbed. When all I wanted to do was get away from everything. My spouse insisted I bring it with me that morning, just in case. Now, if someone calls me, they can leave a message on my landline answering machine. Don't feel the need to be reached by phone everywhere I go, it's a freedom I had before cellphones.

Last edited:
It's nice to know you can use messenger without the need of a Facebook account.

I walk through the woods every day on my lunch break. It's nice to get away from the office.

Ed

We have definitely lost some functionality by giving up our land lines. It used to be easy to have an extension (all to the same phone number) in various rooms so answering would always be straightforward. I am now disabled and move slowly. Unless I carry my cell phone everywhere, I can't ever answer it before voice mail kicks in.

I used to have a Radio Shack phone answering system on my land line. It did everything I wanted it to. I don't know if this is my autism, but I find it hard to conceptualize the contents of archives I can't see; for instance, recording an outgoing message but not seeing it save to a tape, like in the old days.

I have 169 contacts in my phone, and 195 "friends" on Facebook. Before I accept a Facebook friend request, I usually have to show it to my wife and ask, "Do I know this person?"

I haven't purged my contacts in a long, long time, so there's a lot of deadwood in there. But I will unfriend anyone on FB if they post too many angry, hateful political posts (Is there any other type of political post?). My record was 3 hours - accept friend request, see 3 hatemongering posts, unfriend them.

686 Facebook "friends", most I have little to no contact with, I have most often added people as connections within the local arts scene which I'm quite active in, I haven't purged, don't feel like purging through that many people... I never look at the page of feeds anyway...

Occasionally I get an invite to the concert of a friend I knew years ago, if the show looks interesting I might go, just for the sake of some good music

My Instagram has 428 followers, 722 following, I'm not very popular despite my best attempts at photography, I guess I'm not loved that much... I have photography friends with far more activity on their pages! I'm not even sure how they do it, maybe I just don't play the social media game very well... :rolleyes:

1 phone contract.
5 numbers stored.
No active social media accounts.

Used to use a pay as you go phone.

I found myself answering calls from work colleagues about work problems in the middle of walks or family dinners.
Too invasive and demanding.

I know I can press buttons and use functions to switch off ringers, alerts and vibrations,

Too much messing around and something else I have to remember to switch back on.
(for emergencies)

I just don't give out my number now.
... or swap a few digits around and give out a random strangers number to insistent receptionists.

At the moment I have 44 Facebook friends and about 5 active personal contacts on my phone, but I only interact with about 3 of them. I participate in a group, but don't post ony my profile or othe people's profile or write comments, etc. The people are just there but no interaction, it's a pointless really, if it weren't for the group I'd probably have closed my account.

I have never created account on Facebook, I have a Instagram with 100-200 something followers, and follow more than a thousand people, could be because of my OCD, I also have a VK account, I only keep 3 friends, one of which is my LDR girlfriend and the rest I don’t know too well but keep in my list.

Overall, I am more tolerant with Instagram because I can follow people and not worry about sending requests or people seeing who I added very easily, but VK is more personal for me, some people have kept more than a dozen friends on there which I can not do because majority of them I would not contact.

I have never created account on Facebook, I have a Instagram with 100-200 something followers, and follow more than a thousand people, could be because of my OCD, I also have a VK account, I only keep 3 friends, one of which is my LDR girlfriend and the rest I don’t know too well but keep in my list.

Overall, I am more tolerant with Instagram because I can follow people and not worry about sending requests or people seeing who I added very easily, but VK is more personal for me, some people have keep more than a dozen friends on there which I can not do because majority of them I would not contact.

I have created only one account on Facebook but no real identity.

New Threads

Top Bottom