• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How long do clothes last

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
Before you wear them out?

I toe walk - so socks wear out fast, as do the soles of shoes.

My main stim is sitting cross legged and swaying 30+ hours a week. I wear holes in my back pockets and also around the tops of the thighs (where my arms rest)

I'm clumsy too - and I often get clothes ripped or covered in substances that will stain them. Wool jumpers will always get snagged too.

How about your experiences?

Ed

I keep clothes for years. Years! I think one of my skirts I've had for over a decade. I do buy new things from time to time, but only rarely. I don't see the need to get rid of something before it's worn out. And more often than not, no matter how much I love them, I end up giving away or donating my really nice clothing items. I don't put much value in things.

Now you mentioned socks... in the summer I don't even wear socks. Probably May to October you won't ever see me wear those. But I wear them constantly in cold weather, and during the winter months, I wear holes in them quickly- especially from going on the porch with just my socks on. But I know how to darn socks really well, so they don't get bought too often either.

Now my daughter, that's different. I make it a point to buy her new clothes, shoes, coat, etc whenever she needs them. I would never put that girl in mended socks! But she's grown up around me and thankfully has adopted my sense on clothes shopping. She will refuse- over and over and over again if I want to buy her new clothes. She's a teenager, so she cares a lot about her image, and dresses very cute, but just doesn't see the need to get new things if the old ones still work. Now if it's a tee shirt with her favorite character or musician, that's different. But it's nearly impossible to buy her new shoes or a coat. She's so humble.

Last edited:
I wear baggy clothing a lot and also often get dirty or snag it on something. I tend to wear the same 2 or 3 items on rotation and for years on end. I wear the same clothes for everything, whether that be going to the supermarket, working in the garden, cooking, etc. I rarely ever change clothes to go out the way a lot of people do.

I constantly get snagged too, and not just woolly clothes, any clothes or even my purse. On pretty much anything around me. I can even knock down clothes off racks at stores just by breathing on them from a mile away. Clumsiness is a skill in my book.

Even with all that I usually can make most clothes last. Except for the cheaply made ones with lose threads. Those barely last a week.

I wear out clothes fast but that might be, in part, because I choose to have a small amount of clothes. Each item gets worn a lot. I also wear mostly cotton and cotton breaks down faster than other materials.
I am also clumsy and spill on my clothes often. And I have ruined some really nice clothes by snagging them on things and tearing holes.

On the otherhand I have one pullover sweater (jumper) that WILL NOT DIE!! I don't know what this thing is made of but it is 25 years old. I am not exaggerating! I wore it almost daily for 10 years and still wear it about 6 months of the year when it gets cold. It has only begun to develop holes this past year. Honestly, I am finally tired of this old, ugly, thing. It used to be a deep wine color. Now it is just a weird brownish, scabby color. I could give it away but that is unsatisfying. I left it at home on our boat but when we return I am going to have a ceremony and burn that thing!

I wear out clothes fast but that might be, in part, because I choose to have a small amount of clothes. Each item gets worn a lot. I also wear mostly cotton and cotton breaks down faster than other materials.
I am also clumsy and spill on my clothes often. And I have ruined some really nice clothes by snagging them on things and tearing holes.

On the otherhand I have one pullover sweater (jumper) that WILL NOT DIE!! I don't know what this thing is made of but it is 25 years old. I am not exaggerating! I wore it almost daily for 10 years and still wear it about 6 months of the year when it gets cold. It has only begun to develop holes this past year. Honestly, I am finally tired of this old, ugly, thing. It used to be a deep wine color. Now it is just a weird brownish, scabby color. I could give it away but that is unsatisfying. I left it at home on our boat but when we return I am going to have a ceremony and burn that thing!
YUP!!! My coats are from 2008-2009. Good old Dickies and Columbia Sportswear. They do not die. And clothing back then was much baggier, so they are more comfortable, and you can layer better under them than with modern, skin tight coats. My daughter finally bought me a pretty purple hoodie last Christmas, and that thing is my new favorite.

Last edited:
I still have articles of clothing that are from the seventies... just because. Vintage clothing from back then can be worth several times what it originally sold for, and some of it is eye-catching in ways that todays outerwear is not.

It isn't as if it was not worn and washed a lot. I think clothing was made sturdier back then! Oh, and I did not destroy those pieces before their time had passed, so in theory, I could still wear them today if I was of a mind.

I wear clothes for years- years. I think one of my skirts I've had for over a decade. I do buy new things from time to time, but only rarely. I don't see the need to get rid of something before it's worn out.

I agree. For me, comfort is very important. I usually will wear comfortable clothes until they are rags. I have 12 pairs of grey uniform pants that are over 20 years old. These are the most comfortable pants that I have ever worn and they are long lasting. This year I have bought 5 new pairs, just like the old ones.

It depends upon how much I wear them. Things can wear out pretty quickly because I have some favorites that get worn a lot. I once have a pair of sweats last ten years. Finally, the seat of the sweatpants was so threadbare that I had to reluctantly discard the set. They were made of a blend that I can't find anymore; cotton and acrylic. They were so comfy!

OTOH, I have a couple of garment bags with clothing that I used to wear 35 years ago, that I like to take out and look at, longingly. I will probably never be able to fit into them again, since my body is now slightly re-arranged!:p

I find that wool stuff lasts a long time. Wool trousers last me forever--same with jackets; I get a lot of wear out of heavyweight stuff. The grey trousers made for Confederate re-enactors doing Civil War stuff will last you for a very long time. Same goes with brown civilian stuff.
I have wool jackets/overcoats from the '30s and '40s that look brand new. They do wear well.

Heavy fabrics will last forever and a lot of time clothes can be spot treated or aired instead of subjected to the damaging cycles of a modern washer & dryer.

My clothes last a very long time. I can count the number of times I have to buy any clothes in a year on one hand. I’m currently wearing a shirt from high school that is still in good condition, and I graduated a decade ago. Granted, this is probably helped by the fact that I only wear jeans and T-shirts. My socks wear out faster than anything else, but I get packs with a lot in them, so don’t have to buy more that often.

I still have articles of clothing that are from the seventies... just because. Vintage clothing from back then can be worth several times what it originally sold for, and some of it is eye-catching in ways that todays outerwear is not.

It isn't as if it was not worn and washed a lot. I think clothing was made sturdier back then! Oh, and I did not destroy those pieces before their time had passed, so in theory, I could still wear them today if I was of a mind.

Me too, I also have some things that goes even back to the 60’s but the one’s that fit start front the 70’s. Funny, at 60 I’m the same size as I was in high school. There is a story in there, save your jeans! Yeah, never thought I’d get to wear them again but gosh getting back in my old jeans again is surreal. :)

My clothing generally lasts for several years. I don't mind imperfections like spots and stains. Most come out with the proper treatment. Minor tears get repaired. Holes get patched. Big ragged hole in the knee? Now they are cut-off shorts. Clothes that have seen a lot of "life" become work or outdoor clothes. (If I feel the need to wear any. ;))

Most of my wardrobe is very loose-fitting shorts and t-shirts. I have loose-fitting pants and shirts for our short "winter." I cannot abide by clothing that fits snugly.

Underwear usually lasts a few years and then the elastic is gone, so out they go. Socks can last a long time if you buy good quality. There is a brand known as Darn Tough that is almost bulletproof. Weatherproof brand socks from Costco are also really comfortable and long-lasting. Socks are my most abused clothing item.

Wash your clothes in cold water, gentle cycle, and they will last for a very long time. Machine drying shortens clothes life. All that lint you catch is really cloth fibers broken off during the tumble dry process. I ought to hang dry in the air but I don't have the time or space for that.

I have t-shirts from decades ago. The graphics are worn mostly off, there are holes, and the neckline and the seams are frayed. I should probably get rid of them but after that long, they usually have a sentimental value.

I’ve gotten a lot of things off ebay lately to wear. Pre covid I shopped in the goodwill or Salvation Army stores, love pre worn clothes because I have this thing where I cannot wear tight or scratchy clothes.

Ebay is great if you find somebodies clothes you like. I have a couple go to that I like and their husbands old clothes fits my husband so everybody wins!

After our move we both plan on wearing overalls all the time. The rest of our life we plan on spending growing food and spreading the word, overalls and a Sunday go to meeting outfit is all that is needed.

It’s nice when you don’t need much. :)

Underwear usually lasts a few years and then the elastic is gone, so out they go.
I was just folding my laundry today and the elastic is looking like fried bacon. Time to let go.

But I have tried and true, mainly outerwear that I keep. My motorcycle leathers - only get better with age. My down parka that I used in Yellowstone one winter 30 years ago and still good for any temps in winter, at home. Some EFFECTIVE raingear, a multi layered North Face heavy Nylon/Goretex jacket that's great for all seasons and my very old Burberry trench coat when I want to look competant. And, two diametrically opposed coats, one, a Hudson's Bay coat, the other a long, Navy, wool dress coat. I expect that I will never part with those classics. When I want to look particularly fey i will wear my leather jacket over a black skulls and roses embroidered Rockmount shirt.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need some jeans, they last a long time and signs of wear aren't a deficit.

Last edited:
I was just folding my laundry today and the elastic is looking like fried bacon. Time to let go.

But I have tried and true, mainly outerwear that I keep. My motorcycle leathers - only get better with age. My down parka that I used in Yellowstone one winter 30 years ago and still good for any temps in winter, at home. Some EFFECTIVE raingear, a multi layered North Face heavy Nylon/Goretex jacket that's great for all seasons and my very old Burberry trench coat when I want to look competant. And, two diametrically opposed coats, one, a Hudson's Bay coat, the other a long, Navy, wool dress coat. I expect that I will never part with those classics. When I want to look particularly fey i will wear my leather jacket over a black skulls and roses embroidered Rockmount shirt.
Quality clothing does not wear out easily. Classic designs never go out of fashion. You end up paying less over the long run by paying for better stuff, to begin with.

Some people buy cheap clothing because they don't think they are worth it. They don't realize that in the long run, well-made clothing is cheaper than cheap clothing.

Quality clothing does not wear out easily. Classic designs never go out of fashion. You end up paying less over the long run by paying for better stuff, to begin with.

Some people buy cheap clothing because they don't think they are worth it. They don't realize that in the long run, well-made clothing is cheaper than cheap clothing.
Isn't that the case? I learned my lesson with leather. Asian leather is a poor substitute for Schott or Fox Creek, and American stitching uses heftier, nylon, threads. My wife spotted cotton thread in one asian made leather jacket. If you want to save in the long run, quality lasts, and is made to last..

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom