• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How intense are your interests?

dspoh001

How intense are your interests? Do they encourage you to do extremely cool things or do they distract you from other aspects of life? Both? Neither?
For instance, I started to work on a jigsaw puzzle in December of 2014. It's 18,000 + pieces. In case you want to see what it looks like, it's called 'At the Watering Hole'. I started it out on a ping pong table, but that turned out to be too small so I moved it to my bedroom floor. Now I have to be careful where I walk. I haven't really had any trouble pacing it, either doing too much at a time or not doing enough. I feel that I'm on track to have it completed by the time that I graduate college in 2018.
Do you have any interests that you take to high extremes?

one of my interests is fish and taking care of them.
i had three fish tanks at one point-one of them a 400l tank,and i cleaned them all out including water changes for all of them.
i really hyper focus on my interests.

Pretty intense. But not that intense that it controls my life to such an extent that it ruins other aspects of my living.

For example one of my obsessions is Tina Arena. I listen to her sing every day. But if circumstances arose where I could not listen to her for a day then I would be ok with that.

Anything longer than that however....

Yes, unfortunately. I struggle to talk about anything else, when all I want to talk about is film cameras/expired film/photography/Danish/genealogy etc etc. I know it alienates people. I have photographer friends online and even with them I have to watch I don't go overboard,

There is a list of people my boyfriend is tired of hearing about, including but not limited to, Neil Gaiman and the comedian Steve Hofstetter.

This is how intense my interests are.

My man needs to know everything. Whenever something he doesn't know or didn't hear about before comes up, he needs to check it asap. And by ASAP I mean sitting in a philharmonic and checking on phone who wrote the song.
He also has compulsive need to read news. Especially bad news. And then he worries about them.

I was interested enough in totalitarian systems and constitutional law to pursue a degree in such subjects. And I left a lucrative insurance career to turn my hobby of website design into another lucrative career for a time. How's that for "intense" ? ;)

I must admit that my obsessions aren't what they used to be, and aren't as intense as they used to be. For example, I'm sure most Aspies can relate to being obsessed with trains. As a kid I was a budding young railfan, with a specialty in public transit. Me and my father made a point to ride every line of our city's subway system, end-to-end, just for bragging rights. I would drag him out to model train expositions. Looking back, I was very fortunate to have a parent who accepted and nurtured my obsession.

For about a decade now my primary interest has been extreme metal music. It shows in my dress (90% of my wardrobe is heavy metal t-shirts, longsleeves and hoodies), how I decorate my bedroom, choice of outings (concerts, obviously), and choice of friends (I initially bonded with the great majority of my friends, online and off-, over metal). While I do listen to other music like punk, video game soundtracks, and hip-hop, metal constitutes the lion's share of what's in heavy rotation on a daily basis for me. I wouldn't say metal distracts me from my daily life, but rather complements it. Although I do have two concerts coming up, which I'm gonna need to cut class in order to attend.

I have an intense interest in horror and theories people make about horror movie killers. People don't really like talking about it with me. Very few have seen the films I've seen or watch at least the level I watch. And I'm talking from older movies like Hellraiser (but the first one cause after that they are terrible) to foreign movies (I'm not gonna name one cause the rabbit hole is deep).

Overall, I'm obsessed to the point I made a 12 page research paper on serial killers who are born and who are made. And I'm not even a psychology major.

I have always enjoyed reading about the 2WW when upset will read always puts me in a good mood keeps meltdowns away.My wife is like medicine just like reading.

I have an intense interest in horror and theories people make about horror movie killers. People don't really like talking about it with me. Very few have seen the films I've seen or watch at least the level I watch. And I'm talking from older movies like Hellraiser (but the first one cause after that they are terrible) to foreign movies (I'm not gonna name one cause the rabbit hole is deep).

Overall, I'm obsessed to the point I made a 12 page research paper on serial killers who are born and who are made. And I'm not even a psychology major.

My ex was into this for awhile. But he really didn't talk much about it. He then went off to conspiracy land and who knows what people thought. I find it story tale like to read these theories But l don't attach much to it.

Intense interests fluctuate with me which can creep out people who know me. But l love different forms of exercise. I love reading about legal updates in ediscovery but then spend a week watching Korean street food on YouTube. But true crime, true stories always call me.

They used to be intense & centred around PC's & games, I could sort anything without thinking back then
with seemingly limitless endurance. Though now I find I get board very easily with games, shockingly so my old self would probably say. For example I brought Elite : Dangerous (the Commander pack) for £9.99 the other day... it seemed a bargain & I always wanted it ever since it came out. It was returned for a refund the next day, I just could not be arsed to play it. I knew too much of the game type (played them all) & saw no reason for spending time in that world. I came to the conclusion after that refund I must be old.. lol

Although I am partial to a game or two of Post Scriptum every day, I rarely spend more than an hour a day in game now.

This is Mushs’ wife, so, torches... he knows the brightness, current draw, battery config, which led is used, what the tint is, and owns... 50ish. Collection of outdoor gear- backpacks - purpose for each type. He fixated on a topic and for weeks will research and read up about it. And tell us 50 million times about it. Bikes... same. Childhood stories- we could probably repeat and mouth word for word when he repeats a story. Again. I know if he’s lying, he’s rubbish at it.

Yeah, when I read out the question from the op my wife said “Can I answer?”. I really want to edit her post to make it grammatically correct, but I will leave it as a testament to her neurotypical brain.

What I find interesting is how short her answer is compared to when I write answers. For instance, one item required for the outdoors is a portable cooking system.

When I learned about how to make your own alcohol burner from aluminium drink cans, I ended up making around 30 of them in different configurations and then spent hours and hours testing each one with the exact same amount of fuel and timed each for length of time to boil a half litre of water and for how long.

It did annoy my wife a little because she doesn’t like the smell of the alcohol burning, so I had to do the testing when she wasn’t home.

As for the backpacks, in my defence, they make different packs for different purposes. You don’t use a 60L hiking pack for a 3-4 hour hike. And yes, cycling specific packs do sit differently on your body as you lean over holding the handlebars.

And not all day packs are even the same. Sometimes you just need a wind jacket, water and snacks for a short hike. Other times you need more gear for all day adventures as they may finish well after dark.

Yes, unfortunately. I struggle to talk about anything else, when all I want to talk about is film cameras/expired film/photography/Danish/genealogy etc etc. I know it alienates people. I have photographer friends online and even with them I have to watch I don't go overboard,

I've got some exposed undeveloped C41 that's about 30 years old. What do you think the quality of the images is now?

New Threads

Top Bottom