• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How high can you hear?

How high can you hear

• above 8 kHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • above 10 kHz

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • above 12 kHz

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • above 14 khz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • above 16 kHz

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • above 18 kHz

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • cannot hear 8 KHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

dragoncat16

When I was a kid, I could be standing on the street and hear which houses on the street had TVs on, because of the high frequency noise CRT-type TVs would make. Now, flatscreen TVs don't make that sound, so I can no longer do that, but it was really amazing to me that most adults didn't believe me at the time, because to me the sound was so LOUD. My dad did believe me because he could also hear TVs as a kid and nobody believed him either.

I have just done a hearing test on youtube with headphones (
), and I found that in my left ear I can hear above 13 kHz which is considered excellent, but in my right ear, I can hear above 17 khz which is quite unusual for human hearing, and I am definitely not a kid anymore, so conceivably my hearing range was even higher when I was a child. The above test was done with the volume on the lowest possible setting, so it is conceivable that I could have heard even higher frequencies if I had turned the volume up.

What frequency is your cut-off? Do you think that people on the spectrum tend to have better high-frequency hearing because of some physical characteristic of our ears, or is it the way the brain processes the information? Is a sensitivity to high frequency sounds the reason why we are more senstitve to sound in general? Do you have any malls near where you live that have those high frequency speakers that are supposed to repel teenagers? Those things are painful and give me a headache. Do they do that to you as well?

Note: I did find a similar thread, but it was from 2014, so I started a new one. I hope that's ok.

I heard a small, high pitched sound from a computer circuit when electricity was connected - my son had put wires from a battery to it. I do not know what frequency.
Malls have some sort of high frequency that hurts my head too. I notice it more around jewelery stores. Maybe a security system.

I remember those crt-tvs, the main point of nostalgia will always be that 15khz and above ringing in the back of my ears. There is just something soothing about that noise, of course it would give me a massive headache from hearing it straight for about and hour and a half, but it was always worth siting through.

IMG_0270.JPG
I remember those crt-tvs, the main point of nostalgia will always be that 15khz and above ringing in the back of my ears. There is just something soothing about that noise, of course it would give me a massive headache from hearing it straight for about and hour and a half, but it was always worth siting through.
welcome

Yes, I thought that too. At 15khz, it reminded me of the sound those old tube TVs used to make. That's such a wonderful sound.

The test cut out for me after 16khz.

I've been in a plane and could still hear when I was 35,000 feet in the air. So I think I can hear pretty high.

I'll go away now.

Yes, I thought that too. At 15khz, it reminded me of the sound those old tube TVs used to make. That's such a wonderful sound.

The test cut out for me after 16khz.
I think my hearing is only like that because of hypervigilance

My hearing cuts out a little over 12K Hz.
My tinnitus takes over from there,so my world is never really quiet.

Don't know the number so can't vote with accuracy, but years in the power industry burned a 60 hz hole in my head. Then there's the incessant ringing that it sounds like others share.

Interesting thread.:D My left ear is a bit above 13khz and right ear is a bit above 14khz. When I was a kid I got really painful ear infections all the time so I thought it would be a lot lower than that.

With the volume all the way up I can hear something the whole time, though above 16 khz the sound got weird. It also felt like my left ear was popping almost the whole time. Did I cheat or do I actually have decent hearing?

I would advise against having the volume all the way up. Even if you cannot register hearing a sound, high frequency sound can damage your ears. It says that on the video as well.

I just learned this evening that not everyone can hear that satisfying crackle of a tv turning on or a monitor turning on. I guess it's just me.

However, I get annoyed if I sit next to the wifi router. The high pitched buzz hurts my ears.

I always thought everyone heard that crackly hum.

With the volume all the way up I can hear something the whole time, though above 16 khz the sound got weird. It also felt like my left ear was popping almost the whole time. Did I cheat or do I actually have decent hearing?

I also heard a slow pop pop pop once it got above 17000

New Threads

Top Bottom