• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How goes the battle against Depression, Madam/Sir?

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
Thought I'd make a thread that people can vent about their depression if they so choose to. Fill us in with updates of how it's going for you, what you're find helpful and tips!

I was having a downer on New Years. Not because I didn't have friends around or a party going on but I was just looking at job prospects for the future when I'm ready for it and was just overwhelmed by the requirements of some, thinking I'll never be able to achieve the levels they're wanting. So I ended up crying a bit. Probably didn't help that I've been drinking a little over the Christmas period so my medication probably hasn't been working optimality. Still, I didn't stay in it for very long. Just a reminder that the ***** called Depression is still very much on my back. But I'm winning the fight slowly.

Last edited:
I've observed that job requirements have increasingly become almost impossible. It's like the entire culture has become workaholics and if you're not in that mindset, you're an outsider. Have people forgotten how short life is and we should be working towards the common goal of a happy, peaceful society?! I can relate to your feeling of being overwhelmed....it's as if overachievers are the only people that are desirable regardless of knowledge, ability, etc.

I've observed that job requirements have increasingly become almost impossible. It's like the entire culture has become workaholics and if you're not in that mindset, you're an outsider. Have people forgotten how short life is and we should be working towards the common goal of a happy, peaceful society?! I can relate to your feeling of being overwhelmed....it's as if overachievers are the only people that are desirable regardless of knowledge, ability, etc.

Yeah, you need straight A's and an NVQ in order to stack shelves in a supermarket now. I can't wrap my head around that Boxing Day is one of the busiest commercial days of the year! Surely you've spent all your money on gifts for everyone over the last few weeks, why do you need to go out and spend more!? Obviously you didn't get what you were hoping for Christmas.

Sarcasm. Although getting NVQs on the job are part of being promoted. My brother works at Asda.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. Yeah, if my husband wanted to ever move up the ladder in Sainsbury's he'd have to do courses and stuff, but shelf stacking and tills they'll hire pretty much anyone.

If I had even a dollar for every time my mood shifted, I would be a billionaire. Do auties and Aspies feel things differently than NT's? Because I seriously have trouble with the lows being beyond scary.

What helps is getting out, working out, reading, colouring, realizing I probably have less than a decade left anyway, being around family.

If I just did not have so much anxiety! then I could do other things like watch a movie or pet the cats. But as it is I have to move all the time. Sit, stand, write, lift a weight, move move move.

But I keep going, like veryone else.

I was having a downer on New Years. Not because I didn't have friends around or a party going on but I was just looking at job prospects for the future when I'm ready for it and was just overwhelmed by the requirements of some, thinking I'll never be able to achieve the levels they're wanting. So I ended up crying a bit. Probably didn't help that I've been drinking a little over the Christmas period so my medication probably hasn't been working optimality. Still, I didn't stay in it for very long. Just a reminder that the ***** called Depression is still very much on my back. But I'm winning the fight slowly.
southern discomfort,i can honestly say i relate and i understand!
i have been desperate to get on some sort of computer building course,but the only ones out there require things like GCSEs,which are a no go area for someone like me.
i also looked for a course than taught linux,i found an awesome course-it taught everything about computing including linux and hacking and programming but the damn thing was foundation degree and again it needed GCSE,for someone like me who has mild intellectual disability and severe [well now moderate] classic autism it was well out of my league.
theres nothing in between.
ive also been drinking far to much in recent times,trying to numb the pain of reality and depression.

my depression is very severe at the moment,im not been supported properly, im not getting out of my small flat every day due to lack of driving support so i am stuck inside seeing the same 4 walls going insane hearing the voices constantly,and the idiotic manager,sorry team leader who thinks shes a manager says i dont require a driver every day and she purposely puts driving staff on next door regulary even though no one else owns a car like me [its a motability car],she does it to spite me,she has no empathy and it makes me really upset to not be listened to.

my best fish,a golden sucker loach also died yesterday,i loved her like i love my cat;mr shadow.i rescued her from a awful aquatic shop that kept her 24/7 in the pitch black with no plants or gravel in a tank that was to small for her.
the magazine;practical fishkeeping slagged the breed off,saying dont buy them; they think they own the whole tank and are agressive,well my bumble was shy but kind and highly respectful of other fish and even became good housemates in a big hollow log with a bunch of bronze corydoras,ocasionally she would kick them out of the house with her tail when she was fed up with them but they would rush back in to sit with her.
i love her lots and i am really numb and upset,i know grieving is different to depression,but its just made my depression miles worse.

Do auties and Aspies feel things differently than NT's? Because I seriously have trouble with the lows being beyond scary.

Yeah, I think so! There are a lot of things that can case some of us to get very upset, someone interrupting over chain of thought for example. Typical people would be able to put a hold on that thought and return after the person is finished with them. We do certainly react differently to things than other people.

i have been desperate to get on some sort of computer building course,but the only ones out there require things like GCSEs,which are a no go area for someone like me.

Have you looked at alternative qualifications to GCSEs? I did one in between school and college for a year that got my English and Maths up to A* - C. College was reluctant to let me get onto my IT course without doing GCSE English and Maths but I got anyway without having to reseat English again. But the qualification I got seem a lot easier that GCSE stuff was and was more flexible in when I could do it.

I don't know much on ID but it just means it can take you longer to learn things, correct? It's not impossible by any stretch for you, surely.

Stupid that maths and English should be requirements for IT.

I've been in tech IT for 28 years and as long you communication is good, all you need are tech skills to do most jobs.

Look at industry certs like A+ they are well thought of. Also look at specific certs. I'd hire someone with experience and relevelant certification over a graduate for many roles.

You can get experience by taking entry level jobs or freelancing.

I did it the college way and they taught us Fortran after it was obsolete and PASCAL as it going obsolete.

Thats been heaps of use in my career

I'm exceptional at a lot of IT stuff , especially network , and system design.

When I was at school they wouldn't let me do computer studies as I wasn't good enough at maths.

I can plan systems in my head and find assess and prioritise risks and weaknesses on the fly.

I only draw them so other people will understand them.

I suck at maths formula s though.

Currently, I'm in one of my moods where I'm not anxious or depressed, but I'm not really happy or anything either. I call it my IDGAF mood. So, the fights going pretty good.

Have you looked at alternative qualifications to GCSEs? I did one in between school and college for a year that got my English and Maths up to A* - C. College was reluctant to let me get onto my IT course without doing GCSE English and Maths but I got anyway without having to reseat English again. But the qualification I got seem a lot easier that GCSE stuff was and was more flexible in when I could do it.

I don't know much on ID but it just means it can take you longer to learn things, correct? It's not impossible by any stretch for you, surely.
interesting-ill look into it thanks SD, what was the name of your qualification? city and guilds?
i couldnt do a maths alternative as i cant add up basic single numbers and im not sure about english,id struggle with a lot of it including use of lanuage i dont understand [i have a thesaurus and dictionary up on screen constantly] and the need for a good vocabulary,plus i wander off into my own world continuously so id struggle to sit an exam,when i was in special college i had to have 2-1 support with learning because of this and my educational and behavioral struggles,i only need one to one now though as im starting the ASDAN towards independance course next week i think when i start at the day centre.

i cant write either so itd have to be all done on computer,i remember when i sat an ASDAN exam [a course designed for people with ID] they told me i couldnt do it because i cant write and part of it has to be in written work,i struggled greatly with that course as it was above my level so i dropped down to the ASDAN towards independance course which met my level better,its adaptable to any special needs coming from ID basically.
but,i cannot get on any computing course with this qualification.

i was wondering SD,have you ever done or considered the compTIA A+ qualification? im wondering how complex the written work is or if its all hands on.
its something id seriously consider saving for if it could be adapted for my needs.

interesting-ill look into it thanks SD, what was the name of your qualification? city and guilds?

I can't get to where I stored my CV etc at the moment. I'll have a look for what the name was.

im not sure about english,id struggle with a lot of it including use of lanuage i dont understand

id struggle to sit an exam

Yeah, that could be a little too much for you then. Thinking about it now there was an exam for it, I guess the setting threw me off it a bit in my memory, it was down at a youth club at the time, more friendlier environment than a big hall and lots of tables.

have you ever done or considered the compTIA A+ qualification?

Never heard or done it. I did a BTEC Foundation and National diploma at college, just scrapped by with the National diploma - coding is really hard for me. I don't know if the one you've mentioned is above or below what I have. When I was still considering working in IT I was considering working toward Cisco qualifications, which is high up stuff. My cousin who's a systems engineer mentioned about doing that, as he did that to get to where he is now. I don't know what I'd want to do in IT or if I'm capable of achieving that level..

During that one year in between school and college at that youth club, I spent a few months with the IT guy there and we did a bit of stuff together. I installed and messed around with Ubuntu Linux and he helped me build my first computer. It was good fun whilst it lasted.

I don't know what's available in your area or if you have already tried but it might be worth having a look at organisations like youth clubs or whatever and see if they can offer any IT activities like that for you. Just informal things to do. Or maybe charities that build computers for Africa might have some opportunities for you.

I have bad days where I either have bad thoughts or I burst into tears from outta nowhere, often with no logical reason.
I have a whole bunch of friends and my mum, who are good people to talk with when I do go on another downward spiral.
But overall, I am doing pretty good, as well as, I shall go so far as to say, on my worst days, since I at the very least have the comfort of knowing I have friends and mum who are all so good at listening, even though on my worst days I still will feel like absolute poop.

Argh!! Too many opinions in this thread to read at the moment, sorry but for the moment it hurts my brain :confounded:.

A few of the examples I'd try;

Be sure to book time off from work and spend the entirity doing things you did before you ever went to work.

Watch films that take you to magical places (childhood ones may be the best)

Go for walks in lovely rural or seaside places

Recall times that existed in your life before depression ()when you were that superior person that you long to be again)

Visit old and memorable places to find yourself

Write down in detail your worries (knowledge is power)

A few of the many things I find and hate most about anxiety/depression is;

Difficulty wanting to get out of bed (as you can hide away from your life and feel so comfortable until you get up)

You're afraid of everything and lose drive and self esteem and are very unproductive on that day

Fighting back the urge to cry (if just because of that build-up of negative feelings)

Wondering how you're going to go on day in day out feeling like you do

Feeling overwhelmed by every single task (as it seems impossible and overwhelming)

Last edited:

This has been on my mind a lot recently, as I am again looking for another job.... I have been out of the job scene for a while, and the way that the job descriptions were written had got me worried too... When did everyone get so smart? Why was all this evidence of higher qualifications, knowledge and experience suddenly necessary for even menial jobs?

I asked a few colleagues about this odd observation: Apparently, these descriptions are just 'ideals' and no-one is really expected to fulfil all of the requirements. How many potential jobs have I discounted unnecessarily? I would not consider applying for a job if I could not meet the stated requirements. Where is the translation for those of us who take these descriptions as they are written? When they use terms like 'essential' and 'desirable'; where is the caveat that tells us Aspies that this need not negate our application? I consider this practice discriminatory. I was so angry about this, I could think of nothing else for days.

I have diagnosed clinical depression.

Lately I have been teetering on the edge of another episode. But, I am sincerely trying to do better. I've been regularly swimming, eating healthy foods, getting 8+ hours of sleep, and doing enjoyable activities. The depression is still there, and sometimes I escape through music to express the emotions I cannot externalize.

Though I am considering finding a therapist for it. That would probably help more.

New Threads

Top Bottom