• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How does this go?

100skerls

Just another skerl
V.I.P Member
Hi, my name is Lauren and I’m 22. I’ve spent my whole life feeling painfully different from others and getting misunderstood and taken advantage of. I haven’t been diagnosed, the soonest appt I could get is in September. I told my mother before that I thought I had Aspergers and she said that I did not. Now I’ve done a bit more research and I’m pretty sure that I do. I’m hoping I do anyway, because if there are some people I could find to relate to I think it would make all the difference for me.

About me:
I was diagnosed with adhd when I was about 6/7 but my parents started and immediately stopped treatment and never told me til about a year ago. I ended up struggling in high school and at 16 asked to be taken to the doctor where I got a diagnosis and treatment. I am a daydreamer, don’t follow through very well, bad with following orders, do not like authoritative figures, avoid confrontation, new environments can be very stressful, I am very gullible and trusting, don’t know when I’m being flirted with, love to have genuine conversations, get frustrated if I feel I can’t find someone to have one with, also get frustrated that I can’t find women that I can connect with, I feel I disappoint those I love frequently by being who I am.

My interests include animals, caring for/ saving animals (pets, farm, and wildlife), crisis response, medicine, vet medicine, neurology, being in nature, animal rights activism, environmental activism, social change activism, bugs, plants, ecosystems, rock collecting/ geology, engaging with children, and gardening.

I also love science and am studying mechanical engineering at UH but I’ve had to take a lot of time of and smaller class loads due to difficulties in school and at home (I was living with my dad who is an alcoholic and would frequently kick/ lock me out causing me crazy amounts of stress that made school sometimes impossible). I can be very anxious though I try to avoid getting anxious over things. This can be mistaken for apathy though it’s really a coping mechanism.

My mom kicked me out at on my 18th birthday and I had to move in with my then boyfriend who turned out to be very manipulative and mean. I lived with him for a year and became very depressed trying to please him. I broke up with him and moved in with my dad where things got very bad too and I was kicked out many times. My current boyfriend has parents who do not like or understand me and warn him that I will try to move in with him and fill his house with animals so he told me I couldn’t live with him or stay at his house while he was deployed.

With nowhere to live (dad kicked me out, mom and boyfriend both rejected me) I moved to San Francisco last Fall where I lived for three months and then to Austin for one month. I moved back to Texas because my boyfriend was back from Afghanistan. In both instances my desire to not be disliked and to be an easy person to live with was taken advantage of and I was expected to do a lot of work for little or no pay.

My mother convinced me to “quit” my non-paying live-in nanny position and come live with her. I’ve been living with her and my stepdad for about a month now but they are expecting me to move out in the Fall and get my own apartment and become financially independent while also going to school. I think this is impossible and have said so but often what I hear in response is that lots of people do it.

I am just struggling and at this point really don’t want to finish college and almost wish others didn’t want me to so badly because I think I’d feel more invested. But even if I did I feel the expectation of independence being put on me is astronomical and I’ve really been limited in the person I’m allowed to be. As a kid I just suppressed it because it wasn’t appreciated but that made me into a very sad kid and now that I know who I am and what I like I’m having to suppress myself again and that alone is very hurtful and makes me feel very lonely and unlovable and like I’m not allowed to be happy.

I feel like I’m in a bit of a prison of expectations and when I break out of it (ie. move to San Francisco) I am allowed to be myself a lot more which is nice but bad things happen because my support network that I need so badly vanishes. I am so unhappy and feel nobody appreciates me despite the fact that my intentions are always very good and I care deeply for everyone and everything.

I am hoping I can find people to relate to, I can’t seem to find any free local support groups near me.

Thanks and I hope I’m not in the wrong place!

upload_2019-4-24_17-51-1.png

Welcome! I think you'll find that this is a good place. The moderators work hard to make this a positive and supporting environment.

With your interest in animals are you considering working in that field?

I hope your situation becomes, progressively, more manageable, and all goes very well for you!

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Welcome! I wish you the best. I don't know if I would wish autism on even my worst enemy, but no matter what your doctor says, at least you'll know what you can do moving forward.

With your interest in animals are you considering working in that field?
I hope so. It’s been a money hole up to this point. I do/ have done a lot of wildlife rehab work. I think if I finish school I might go to vet school and become a wildlife vet but I have issues with the thought of dissections. I have dreams about starting a nonprofit.

I put "winner" because not only are you still around but you sound like you're doing great! You may not feel like you're doing great, but the way you've explained everything makes me see greatness surrounding everything. ;)

I don't think you've ever been in the wrong place. :)

You are so strong! :eek:

To remain alive isn't necessarily strong, but to suffer, be mistreated, and still retain goodness, not pessimism, to still "love" things and people, instead of nihilism, and to still "hope" and even to show up here at all seems like a show of strength to me.

You know you're going to be just fine, underneath all the stuff that lies to say otherwise, the temporary piles of garbage waiting to be blown away by the next gust of wind. You know it, even if you don't know it!

I mean...

Welcome! :D

Welcome to the forums! I hope that things settle down and improve. Also, that you can start to live up to your own expectations rather than others.

I put "winner" because not only are you still around but you sound like you're doing great! You may not feel like you're doing great, but the way you've explained everything makes me see greatness surrounding everything. ;)

I don't think you've ever been in the wrong place. :)

You are so strong! :eek:

To remain alive isn't necessarily strong, but to suffer, be mistreated, and still retain goodness, not pessimism, to still "love" things and people, instead of nihilism, and to still "hope" and even to show up here at all seems like a show of strength to me.

You know you're going to be just fine, underneath all the stuff that lies to say otherwise, the temporary piles of garbage waiting to be blown away by the next gust of wind. You know it, even if you don't know it!

I mean...

Welcome! :D

Thanks Alex, I really appreciate your kindness. I feel like I’m in limbo more than anything but I’m trying to help myself and that feels better than not trying!

I feel some shame because I think a good amount of my kindness is rooted in a desire to feel worthy. But I think I have a lot of compassion too and it can be hard to know to what extent I act out of goodness or out of wanting to feel I’m good.

Thanks again for your words, they lifted my spirits :relaxed:

Warm welkome to the forums

If youre alredy diagnosed with ADHD id say there is is a possibility/risk that you also might have ASD as they are often co morbid to eatchoder & most often the ASD is not discovered until later in life. So i would suggest you try to get evaluated for this as well if you have problems

Last edited:
Thanks Sarah. I am eager for answers. The soonest appointment I could schedule for testing is in five months. But seeing as I’ve gone without testing for 22 years I think I can bear the wait!

New Threads

Top Bottom