• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How does one find movie watching buds?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I am in love with movies of most types, but it seems like the vast majority of my RL friends are against the idea of cracking open some beers and having a film festival at my place on a Friday night. Mainly because they have spouses to go home to, and I am still single at 41.

So, I basically am looking for other single guys just to watch a wide variety of movies with at my place, but I don't want to just invite random strangers over to drink beer and possibly steal my stuff in the process. I am looking, but I do not know where to look for something like that. It would be easier if COVID were not a thing to schedule meetups at the cinemas, alas the pandemic exists and makes that an impossibility currently.

Hey, if anybody here lives in Pierce County WA and is not afraid of adventurous cinema, you now know who to visit. :)

Honestly, this is one of those things where it's probably best to just sort of hold back on it.

If you're going to do a movie night, it's best to do it with people you've already known for a long time and trust. It's not a matter of stealing and whatnot. It's a matter of the proper behavior in terms of the pandemic. AND, a matter of what they do when they're not around you. If a new person turns out to be someone that isnt taking the proper precautions in their normal day-to-day activities, you're taking a big risk by bringing them into your house... even if they seem to be behaving properly while there. And you cant REALLY know that with someone you havent known very long. As I've said many times during this whole thing: There is no such thing as a perfect defense. And most people arent even remotely close to that to begin with. Plenty of them just outright threw their shield in the garbage.

Right now pretty much everyone (well, everyone with functioning braincells) has to just deal with this... it sure aint just you, and it aint just with movie watching either.

If it's bothering you, instead of being concerned with the watching part, why not find an online community of people who arent terrible where you can discuss said movies after watching them?

It's lockdown here, and when it ends I am still in a high tier, we aren't allowed to mix indoors until we get the infection rate lower.

But when the vaccines are all in play this should work as an idea, you can ask for people's vaccination certificate at the door.

I am in love with movies of most types, but it seems like the vast majority of my RL friends are against the idea of cracking open some beers and having a film festival at my place on a Friday night. Mainly because they have spouses to go home to, and I am still single at 41.

So, I basically am looking for other single guys just to watch a wide variety of movies with at my place, but I don't want to just invite random strangers over to drink beer and possibly steal my stuff in the process. I am looking, but I do not know where to look for something like that. It would be easier if COVID were not a thing to schedule meetups at the cinemas, alas the pandemic exists and makes that an impossibility currently.

Hey, if anybody here lives in Pierce County WA and is not afraid of adventurous cinema, you now know who to visit. :)

We could swap mommy dearest stories until the cows come home or in this particular case until the movie credits rolled.

Honestly, this is one of those things where it's probably best to just sort of hold back on it.

If you're going to do a movie night, it's best to do it with people you've already known for a long time and trust. It's not a matter of stealing and whatnot. It's a matter of the proper behavior in terms of the pandemic. AND, a matter of what they do when they're not around you. If a new person turns out to be someone that isnt taking the proper precautions in their normal day-to-day activities, you're taking a big risk by bringing them into your house... even if they seem to be behaving properly while there. And you cant REALLY know that with someone you havent known very long. As I've said many times during this whole thing: There is no such thing as a perfect defense. And most people arent even remotely close to that to begin with. Plenty of them just outright threw their shield in the garbage.

Right now pretty much everyone (well, everyone with functioning braincells) has to just deal with this... it sure aint just you, and it aint just with movie watching either.

If it's bothering you, instead of being concerned with the watching part, why not find an online community of people who arent terrible where you can discuss said movies after watching them?

I will admit that the lack of face to face 12 step meetings has me feeling a lot more lonely than usual, but you do have a very valid point.

Flowers that don't flower are buds. Sometimes you want to harvest the buds and grow a plant and prevent it from being pollinated so you get nice big unflowered buds.

I didn't really understand the title at first. When your friends didn't want to drink and watch movies I thought they must want to smoke and watch movies, and how would anyone on here help you find weed? You meant friends, and not the kind you get by with a little help from.

Flowers that don't flower are buds. Sometimes you want to harvest the buds and grow a plant and prevent it from being pollinated so you get nice big unflowered buds.

I didn't really understand the title at first. When your friends didn't want to drink and watch movies I thought they must want to smoke and watch movies, and how would anyone on here help you find weed? You meant friends, and not the kind you get by with a little help from.

Well, I already have a couple of very close friends who I turn to, as they also turn to me. I am not looking for more close friendships, I am looking for activity acquaintances who also love insane movies and are down for a beer and film festival in my living room since the bars and the cinemas are now not worth the risk (and apparently having this in my living room is not worth the risk currently as well).

This pandemic sucks.

I am seriously resenting that I used to have a decent RL social circle, and most of those people dropped out of my life completely during the course of the pandemic this year. I have hundreds of movies in my collection, so much 4K goodness, a large TV and a decent sound system, and nobody to share any of this with, making it all seem kinda pointless.

and nobody to share any of this with, making it all seem kinda pointless.

This is something I've heard before in regards to movies and whatnot in general, and it's a concept I've never quite been able to grasp. I mean, in my mind... they're movies. They arent multiplayer games or something. They dont alter based on viewer count. I could go watch Star Wars, and simply being by myself doesnt seem to cause the cast of characters to transform into Muppets or something, nor would the DVD player or whatever burst into flames.

I dunno, a TON of movie fans seem to have that odd need to have others around for what is generally a very silent activity to begin with... just one of those things I dont have the capacity to understand. I've got a particular friend who has complained at me FREQUENTLY because I wont accompany him to theaters to watch whatever new thing is on them (which has nothing to do with him, I honestly just dont watch movies at all, it's Youtube instead for me). I've directly explained my reasons for not going but he still gets bothered every time.

This is something I've heard before in regards to movies and whatnot in general, and it's a concept I've never quite been able to grasp. I mean, in my mind... they're movies. They arent multiplayer games or something. They dont alter based on viewer count. I could go watch Star Wars, and simply being by myself doesnt seem to cause the cast of characters to transform into Muppets or something, nor would the DVD player or whatever burst into flames.

I dunno, a TON of movie fans seem to have that odd need to have others around for what is generally a very silent activity to begin with... just one of those things I dont have the capacity to understand. I've got a particular friend who has complained at me FREQUENTLY because I wont accompany him to theaters to watch whatever new thing is on them (which has nothing to do with him, I honestly just dont watch movies at all, it's Youtube instead for me). I've directly explained my reasons for not going but he still gets bothered every time.

To me, movies are a social thing. Even going by myself to a cinema, I can get a kick out of watching the audience’s reaction to a gruesome horror movie or a fun comedy or an awesome action sequence. Plus, when I watch a film with friends, even if we are silent while watching the film, we are definitely not silent when the film is over. We just watched something together, therefore it makes it a shared experience.

New Threads

Top Bottom