• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you personally pronounce 'Asperger'?

AGXStarseed

This is something I'm genuinely curious about as I hear some people pronounce it (most often as an insult) as if the 'p' is a 'b' so it sounds like Ass-Burger, while in other places you're supposed to pronounce the word with a 'hard G'.

For me, I pronounce it as "A-Spur-Jer". What about you guys?

Last edited:

In taking German I was always taught that the consonant "g" was always pronounced as a hard g unless at the very end of a word. When it gets more interesting depending on where one hails from. Tiefdeutsch, Hochdeutsch, usw.

Last edited:
I hear both British and Aussie's pronounce it as " UA-SPER-GERS". But I think that's because it based on the Oxford Dictionary. Here in the US and Canada, we say "ASS-BERG-GERS" because we use the Webster Dictionary.

I hear both British and Aussie's pronounce it as " UA-SPER-GERS". But I think that's because it based on the Oxford Dictionary. Here in the US and Canada, we say "ASS-BERG-GERS" because we use the Webster Dictionary.

It always seemed silly to me that you pronounced it like that; for starters, the word 'Asperger' has no 'b' in it and secondly, it sounds horrible (as many of us have found out).

It always seemed silly to me that you pronounced it like that; for starters, the word 'Asperger' has no 'b' in it and secondly, it sounds horrible (as many of us have found out).

I guess here in America, They want to believe that we have the ability to defecate hamburger from our anuses. Looks like McDonald's is trying to save a few million in beef costs.

I do not like telling anyone that I have anything involving meat ground from the posterior portion of a donkey. There is no "B" in the spelling of Aspergers. I say it asp er gers.

One of my cats changed his name by simply refusing to answer to anything besides his choice of name. I think we can learn from him.

I always pronounced it:

Asp-perjure

But at some point I will have to concede that it should be a hard g (as in gold). So, then I will start highlighting the second syllable and pronounce it:

A-Spur-gers.

Hopefully that will avoid the insulting South Park error and avoid the B sound.

As-per-gers, with a hard G, I don't know where the "burgers" pronunciation came from... I think it is mainly a USA thing though. The majority of people I know IRL pronounce it "a$$-burgers."

As-per-gers, with a hard G, I don't know where the "burgers" pronunciation came from... I think it is mainly a USA thing though. The majority of people I know IRL pronounce it "a$$-burgers."
Well, I personally don't know if I like the ass-burgers version :p

Well, I personally don't know if I like the ass-burgers version :p
5092361590_e5ca2821a5_b.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom