• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you normally dress?

Rayner

I normally wear blue jeans either wrangler or Levi's since those are the only kind of jeans I find comfortable. I normally wear thick demin long sleeve shirts even in the summer time (I live in Texas) most of my shirts have mother of pearl snaps that are either round or diamond shaped. I wear a dark thick leather belt with a metal belt buck with an Eagles head on the front. I wear wool or polyester crew socks all of witch are white.

My footwear consists of my redwing workboots with a steel toe and a steel shank in the arch not much to talk about or I wear my western "Cowboy" boots. My western boots are made by Ariat, they have a round toe and a walking style straight heel finally the shaft comes up about half way up my calfs.

Finally I always wear my white Stetson cowboy hat. My hat is made from 10X beaver felt it has a silk lining. My hat is one of my favorite pieces of my wardrobe as I receive lots of complements on it and it belonged to my maternal grandfather. My grandfather bought the Stetson around the early 1980's he wore it til around 2003 when he "retired" from farmering. I've been wearing it for about a year now, the more I wear it the more I appreciate it.

Anyway how do you like to dress or what does your wardrobe consist of?

Khaki cargo pants, golf shirt, old spikeless golf shoes and a hat. Everything gas to be smooth and light.

Khaki cargo pants, golf shirt, old spikeless golf shoes and a hat. Everything gas to be smooth and light.
Interesting I need my clothes don't need to be super light but they can't be cumbersome. I don't know about you, but I prefer my clothes to be made from natural materials. Oh and my clothes can't be noisy, I can't stand when my clothes make noise everytime I move.

I don't like noisy clothes either. Light, breathable clothing is an asset on hot days outdoors. I work here:www.bardstowncc.com . I work in the mornings, & it's nonstop from 6:30 until 12:30.

I dress for comfort usually. I don't really like the constrained feeling I get wearing jeans. They are too heavy, even in winter, for me. I opt for "granny" pants with the elastic waistband (mid rise, not high rise), a ribbed cotton tank top over which I wear a button-down shirt, untucked, or a long t-shirt. I wear white socks and athletic shoes or ankle boots. I prefer natural fibers, and always buy clothes with an eye towards ease of both wear and care. No dry cleaning for me.

I dress for comfort usually. I don't really like the constrained feeling I get wearing jeans. They are too heavy, even in winter, for me. I opt for "granny" pants with the elastic waistband (mid rise, not high rise), a ribbed cotton tank top over which I wear a button-down shirt, untucked, or a long t-shirt. I wear white socks and athletic shoes or ankle boots. I prefer natural fibers, and always buy clothes with an eye towards ease of both wear and care. No dry cleaning for me.
I agree I hate dry cleaning. Cowboys don't dry clean their clothes, not that I dress... Well maybe I do dress a little like a cowboy. Lol

It depends on the occasion. If I'm around the house it's usually sweats and a T-shirt. If I'm visiting friends it's black jeans, causal shirt, and my Velcro sneakers (I hate shoelaces). If I'm working on my buddy's farm it's overalls, work shirt, boots, and ball cap. If I have to dress up I have some white shirts, ties, and dress slacks and shoes. Somewhere on this site there's an image or two of me dressed up. At work I have issued uniforms that are ill-fitting and uncomfortable.

I'm not big on laces either, but I put up with them. My non laced shoes of choice are western riding boots A.K.A. Cowboy boots.

I wear jeans (only like dark blue ones), brown boots. I wear t-shirts and puffer vests even when its warm. Dont wear hats because my pride and joy is my hairstyle and i dont want flat hair. I always wear an under singlet with everything that i wear.

I wear jeans (only like dark blue ones), brown boots. I wear t-shirts and puffer vests even when its warm. Dont wear hats because my pride and joy is my hairstyle and i dont want flat hair. I always wear an under singlet with everything that i wear.

I'm not sure what a under singlet is? What jeans do you like to wear?

I've read that people on the spectrum generally had a great deal of difficulty learning how to tie their laces when they were growing up. My experience was extra traumatic, as my mother thought that slapping me would "encourage" me to learn. You can imagine what sort of result that technique yielded.

I've been shopping for some cowboy boots. My feet were not designed for footwear, so finding boots or shoes that fit is usually a challenge. There's a place in Massachusetts I order shoes from time to time that has cowboy boots, so I'm considering a pair from them. I prefer a square toe with a roper heel, but most of theirs have a "J" toe and cowboy heel. That might be a problem for my wide feet.

I would recommend something with a roper, straight or walking heel (it's all the same thing just different names) i would recommend either redwing or Ariat boots, both are somewhat expensive but well worth the cost assuming you take care of the boots regular brushing and basic care) they will last for decades. My granddad has a pair of redwing boots that are around 25 to 30 years old that are just as good now as they were when they were made.

I remember all too well being taught to tie my shoes. My mother used the same "techniques" as yours. I managed to figure it out, but it's still something I put thought into literally everyday.

Comfortable clothing is a must. My everyday attire consists of grey uniform slacks and a dark t-shirt. For footwear, I wear steel toed boots(some of my customers require them). I do not care about style at all. My wife does care about style. When she dresses me, I am more in style. Uncomfortable, but in style.

I've heard of Redwing; I think there's a shop in town that sells them exclusively. I've not heard of the other brand, but I will Google them. The problem I have with shoes is finding a pair that will accommodate my width. I take a 9 or 9.5, but some 9.5 are wide enough, but others I still need an E or EE. When I do find a pair that fits right, I tend to buy two since I know I might not find another pair again.

I've only ever seen redwing shoes sold exclusively through independent redwing dealers.

The redwing and other brand I mentioned Ariat I know each make E and EE. Because I wear a size 8 EE boot in both redwing and Ariat.

Last edited:
Comfortable clothing is a must. My everyday attire consists of grey uniform slacks and a dark t-shirt. For footwear, I wear steel toed boots(some of my customers require them). I do not care about style at all. My wife does care about style. When she dresses me, I am more in style. Uncomfortable, but in style.
I'm like you I don't care about fashion however I do care about impressions. A large part of my wardrobe is based on what I find functional and how I can present myself well to others. For me I have found matching demin pants and long sleeve shirts with a belt and boots both made from thick dark (age and wear) leather. It seems a large part of my generation doesn't understand (for the most part) the importance of good impressions or the importance of presenting yourself in a good light. For example if you don't want people to think you are a thug don't dress like one it's not a difficult concept to grasp.

I dress casually, based on comfort but if the situation required for example safety equipment then that too.

I'm big on comfort and to hell with fashion.

I dress casually, based on comfort but if the situation required for example safety equipment then that too.

I'm big on comfort and to hell with fashion.
I agriee I'm not too fond of fashion consider a few reason. 1 I can't afford trending fashionable garments to wear, much less quality fashionable garments. Second reason they seem to be also be in one way or another uncomfortable. The third fashion seems to be very much about shock value I'm not to fond of being part of. I could go on but I think you get the point.

Although I try and appreciate good impressions. how we present ourselves (among other things) the way we dress creates a large impression. Like I said in an earlier in this thread that obviously goes with out saying I if you don't want people to think you are a thug don't dress in a way that makes people think you are a thug. Because you don't want to give predisposition to someone that you're a thug(threat to them) if you aren't trying to. If your not a thug don't be a thug...nobody likes thugs.

I don't care about fashion. Clothes are more utilitarian for me. I don't wear ties or anything around my neck because that is a hypersensitive area; I feel like I'm being choked. My idea of dress up is a dress shirt, a pair of nicer jeans and shoes.

I always had some strange phobia of black dress socks because they bothered my feet. Finally I realized it was the dye stuff that they used. Ironically, I found that switching to black sport socks does not bother me - different dye? My feet are also sensitive and I don't like them being touched.

I don't care about fashion. Clothes are more utilitarian for me. I don't wear ties or anything around my neck because that is a hypersensitive area; I feel like I'm being choked. My idea of dress up is a dress shirt, a pair of nicer jeans and shoes.

I always had some strange phobia of black dress socks because they bothered my feet. Finally I realized it was the dye stuff that they used. Ironically, I found that switching to black sport socks does not bother me - different dye? My feet are also sensitive and I don't like them being touched.

I agree I can't stand wears ties either. Granted I Seldom rarely wear them but I do find bow ties aesthetically pleasing. I'm like you in that clothes are more utilitarian for as well. When you start working as in independent contractor in the industry you will be working in. How would that require you to dress? Does the transportation industry have a standard on how you dress? I'm curious because I have heard you say that the the transportation industry and Many other blue collar occupations tend to be more autistic/eccentric friendly?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom