• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you learn?

Jordy

For me, I cannot accept any piece of information without seeing a pattern or understand how it fits inside a system. For some reason my brain refuse to learn anything when i don't understand the logical workings behind it or it doesn't fit perfectly into my system. I don't think this is exclusive to autistic individuals as it would help anyone remember something, but it does seem to be very extreme in my case. There is no way you can tell me "when x happens y happens, don't think to much about how it works and just accept that it's true"

But i have also heard of autistic people that are great at remember lots of raw information without necessary seeing any connections or patterns in what they are learning.

This is not likely what you mainly meant, but I reread things at least twice, to understand every statement or fact made to make sure I clearly am not overlooking something very important, and to get an initial determination if I agree or not or could assist or not, then pick out the main idea they are trying to say, then quickly organize their other statements and details in my head, pushing away things I see that may not be relevant to the main issues or to be used for possible later discussion. I then look at things with a completely opposite perspective, to make sure the information is correct, comprehensive, and not missing something important.

Then I rack my brain to come up with extra details and information that could support what I read or their position, or that they could use to bring about more clarity or answers for their situation. If I disagree with the main argument or message content, I will usually either formulate lots of reasons why in my head based on all my experiences and after considering their positions again, and think such or state so in a constructive way so as to be thorough or to not to offend, and then back up what I think in my mind or say with sound reasoning and examples to support my position, as learning and expressing means being thorough, orderly & open minded.

So, I guess I learn best through trying to process things in clear, orderly, detailed, relevant, analytical and open minded way, after thinking about things much for not only what I read, but for all possible opposing viewpoints and solutions. I like to often ask myself the questions who, what, where, why, when and how in my head, to make sure to put everything into context. So, in a way, I have my own system for learning, and I do not assume ever what I read to be true or without bias, if their patterns or info seems off to me after analysis. As well, my own preferences for learning is to see things visually, as then I can reread, be more detailed and process things quicker.

Last edited:
I tend to sorta... just do things.

Like, if I'm learning a new bit of computer something or other, I'm likely to go "Well okay, got this thing installed, let's check it out... okay, never used this before, let's... uh... poke THIS thing. Okay, that's what THAT does, now what happens if I try THIS?"

Basically just sort of brute-forcing the whole thing.

If I don't have a teacher, and I'm very excited to learn something, then I learn by reading as many books as possible about the subject that I'm genuinely interested in and practicing trial and error.

If I know someone, then it's by sitting down with that person as they show me step by step how to do something, as I mirror their work. I am a big question asker when I want to learn something that excites me, which can annoy people. But it's how I learn. I want to know every detail about something so that I can assimilate it into my knowledge bank, and be able to replicate it.

For me, I cannot accept any piece of information without seeing a pattern or understand how it fits inside a system. For some reason my brain refuse to learn anything when i don't understand the logical workings behind it or it doesn't fit perfectly into my system. I don't think this is exclusive to autistic individuals as it would help anyone remember something, but it does seem to be very extreme in my case. There is no way you can tell me "when x happens y happens, don't think to much about how it works and just accept that it's true"

But i have also heard of autistic people that are great at remember lots of raw information without necessary seeing any connections or patterns in what they are learning.
I was that way until I became obsessed with proofs of the continuity of mathematical functions. That rabbit hole disrupted my learning.

I never liked learning factoids, rather my best learning happened when I learned how data is generated and I had the opportunity to practice applications. I was lucky that when I was getting instruction in Stastical Process Control and Statistical Design of Experiments, I was working in manufacturing support and process validation so could immediately try out what I was learning.

In the sports I enjoy, I am a physical learner. Whether Whitewater Open Canoe or Nordic Skiing, My learning has been to ingrain technique. Yesterday I was kayaking with a group having beginners in paddling moving water. I saw just how things like reading current and setting up my angle, momentum, and lean, comes automatically such that my technique becomes reflexive, when the beginners had to think about what they needed to do.

I learn best by just jumping in and figuring it out. For example, the first time I drove a car it was borrowed from my brother (with his permission). Our step sister was supposed to drive because I didn't know how. But she got drunk and left me stranded several miles from home and it was very cold. So I jumped in the car and just figured it out. It was dark, snow on the ground and I even passed the police as I made my way home.

But if you are trying to teach me something I need an overview of what I am learning. Then I can connect the pieces together.

But I don't like written instruction for assembling things. They are always wrong.

I research research research, gather as much information about a topic as possible until I can fit them together and the big picture emerges. I always look for patterns in things.

If it's a mechanical problem to solve, I look to see how it works first, then try to solve it.

I am a life long learner with many interests. I discovered early on that I need to look at something from every perspective in order to understand it before incorporating it into my knowledge base. Traditional methods of learning were difficult for me but I stood out when I could go at my own pace and learn information the way my brain works not the way others brains work. I am not stupid I am different and that's OK.

I know other people with similar learning styles to what you describe. How are you at watching movies or reading fiction in different genres? My husband has a hard time approaching new story lines. Within the first ten minutes of a new movie he'll become confused because he can't immediately understand the reasoning behind the characters' actions or evaluate relevant/irrelevant details (and he'll drive me batty with complaints and random questions!) After he's seen a movie several times on his own, read several recaps, and taken time to think it through, he'll have generated wise and entertaining insights to share, but he has to see the big picture first.

That's pretty much me. I have to see a mechanism of action in order to make sense of anything. Fragmented or illogical explanations are pure gibberish to me.

I'm mostly an Observe and Hands-On kind of learner (or Visual and Tactile, if you want to get fancy), though I'll still ask questions if I'm unsure of something.

Videos sometimes help as well so long as what's happening is in clear view with good angles and has clear, concise Commentary.

New Threads

Top Bottom