• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how do you handle working life?

nuskone

I NEED WAGECUCKERY
i'll make it short, i'm a young adult and i'm looking for a job
i have tried many places already, but i felt the need to quit almost immediately because the interactions i had to endure with coworkers and clients, if that was the case, were so... tiring may be the right word. i have had no personal problems with anyone i socialized with, hell, i could say most of them were really nice and helpful people, but even if the amout of work was very modest for the day i went back home incredibly exausted
am i alone in this? i feel like this may not be a problem entirely related to aspergers but wether it is or not finding a job has been a really stressing experience to me

Dealing with coworkers is often a lifelong challenge for most anyone on the spectrum. Unless of course you are lucky enough to have found work in which interaction with others is minimal. However for me, just looking for work is far more stressful than holding down any job and having to successfully coexist with those you work with.

Most of all, in the end you do what you have to just to survive.

Yes indeed, you are not alone over such things.

You're not alone. Workplaces are like that and the only thing you can do is to grit your teeth and persevere, unfortunately. Besides, interviews and looking for a job, and the knowledge that you are spending money without an income every day is much worse than just working. You need money, you work. It's as simple as that. If I didn't have to work, I wouldn't. If you don't have to work, maybe start by short hours of volunteer work? There are charity shops and animal shelters that would hire literally anyone, this is how great of a shortage they experience. It would enable you to get used to the interactions and you wouldn't be as tired, additionally, you could still put it in your CV at a later date. Or start with a 5 hour shifts at some part-time job. Just try not to change your jobs too often. Many short-time jobs look really bad on a CV.

I am struggling a lot in my current position with this exact situation. I work 10 hour shifts at my job and it is a lot more intensive in terms of the amount of interactions necessary with others compared to my previous job which was 8 hours per day and I worked in a cubicle where the walls were high enough that you couldn't see others and it was in an out-of-the-way location so I was rarely bothered.

I wish I could say that I know how to deal with it but I don't yet. You aren't the only one! Right now, I just take more time for myself at home and it does help that I only work 4 days a week so I (usually) have enough time to recover between when I work.

Maybe if you can find a job that only is so many days a week as well. Do you have a degree or are you looking for something that doesn't require a degree?

I dont work anymore... havent in probably like 8-10 years, I dont even know, but when I used to, it was non-stop problems.

The issue for me wasnt so much the interactions. It was three specific things:

1. Mind-melting boredom and drudgery.
2. Forced schedules and utterly nonsensical rules.
3. Uniforms.

Most jobs I had involved zero thinking. And they werent engaging enough to actually hold my attention. So time always seemed to pass VERY slowly. I mean, I had this problem back in my school days, but it was freaking multiplied when it came to any job. A single hour would pass, and I would think that it had been four hours. As it was, I couldnt HANDLE more than about 4 hours per shift, partly due to this. The idea of a full-time job was utterly revolting.

Now, there were a couple of places that were sort of exceptions to this. One was when I worked at the bank. It was an unusual job, running check sorters, enormous machines about the size of a car. Giant piles of checks would come in from a variety of branches... I think it was 12 different banks... and all of them would need to go through these two machines. What made it "engaging" was the fact that the machines were made of distilled crazy and would flip out constantly, making for non-stop situations that needed to be dealt with. These ranged from things like the machines shredding checks and spraying them into the air, to "clogs", or even nearly catching on fire a couple of times due to sheer friction. They needed constant babysitting. In that job, there was never a dull moment. Alot of "OMG WTH?!?" moments instead.

The other job was at Toys-R-Us. I was stationed in the gaming section (and the only employee that did not have to "rotate" from one section to another constantly). What kept it interesting is that MOST of the managers, of which there were many, didnt actually know how that section of the store worked (all managers focused on one or two sections, and there were MANY sections). So they'd do things like wheel in a cart of random whatever, clearly stuff that involved my section, and say things like "Here's a cart of whatever this is, I dont know what you do with it, just... do something". Instead of being constantly told to do braindead things, it was up to me to figure out what to do, and alot of tasks werent so simple as just restocking shelves. This kept the job at least somewhat mentally engaging. Not to mention that I was pretty much the only one at the store that REALLY knew about the products being sold there, so I was often called upon to give recommendations and opinions of different things to customers. Rather than just having the mindless "selling" interactions.

Forced schedules were another bad thing. I know alot of people on the spectrum need that sort of structure, but I tend to be the opposite. My "schedule" is chaotic and random and I make decisions on a whim. This clashed badly with the rigid structure of any job. Everything had to be done at specific times, and I couldnt even just go use the bathroom when I wanted to, or sit down and relax a bit when I felt the need. Had specific times only where I could do things like that. It was... bad.

And then... the uniforms. Uuuuugh. I have alot of the same sensory issues as many people on this site... you do the math. ALL of the uniforms were the direct opposite of clothing that I can tolerate. The one exception was the bank. That job was held in a seperate building that most people didnt even know the purpose of, let alone actually enter, so nobody gave a fart what I wore each day. All they cared about there was that I could keep the machines from going bonkers too much.

So, yeah, that's my experience with jobs. Or, what most people consider "proper" jobs anyway. MUCH later on (a couple of years ago actually), I received a contract offer from a game developer I know, to do some extremely specific work on the project, and THAT was more my speed. I fully explained all of my issues to the guy, and he was fine with all of them...even my reduced work hours. I was never given mind-melting braindead orders... instead, I made the choices and was given the authority to veto/cancel decisions made by others. And I could do it from my house. What they really cared about there was results, and I gave them exactly that. Granted, it was kinda scary at first... I remember when the project started, I asked the lead developer "so, what should I do first?" and his response was "Well, what do you think you should do first? Whatever it is, go do that". And my thoughts on that were "Oh gods I'm going to screw up the entire thing somehow". But it worked out well in the end. Stupidly though, alot of people dont consider that to be "real" work. Because derp.

Overall, the real trick is finding a job that's A: mentally engaging, and B: aligned with your skillset and interests if possible. Unfortunately, alot of jobs... particularly entry level stuff... are neither. And some jobs have odd ways to get in, too. That contract came to me... not the other way around. Sometimes, that's how it works... you never know where an opportunity might come from, so be prepared to spot potential opportunities... it's easy to miss them as they're not always so obvious.

There, that's my long ramble about that, which probably helps nobody. But I wrote it anyway. Not like anybody could stop me. Well, maybe Batman could.

I dont work anymore... havent in probably like 8-10 years, I dont even know, but when I used to, it was non-stop problems.

3. Uniforms.

Most jobs I had involved zero thinking. And they werent engaging enough to actually hold my attention. So time always seemed to pass VERY slowly. I mean, I had this problem back in my school days, but it was freaking multiplied when it came to any job. A single hour would pass, and I would think that it had been four hours. As it was, I couldnt HANDLE more than about 4 hours per shift, partly due to this. The idea of a full-time job was utterly revolting.

Now, there were a couple of places that were sort of exceptions to this. One was when I worked at the bank. It was an unusual job, running check sorters, enormous machines about the size of a car. Giant piles of checks would come in from a variety of branches... I think it was 12 different banks... and all of them would need to go through these two machines. What made it "engaging" was the fact that the machines were made of distilled crazy and would flip out constantly, making for non-stop situations that needed to be dealt with. These ranged from things like the machines shredding checks and spraying them into the air, to "clogs", or even nearly catching on fire a couple of times due to sheer friction. They needed constant babysitting. In that job, there was never a dull moment. Alot of "OMG WTF?!?" moments instead.

The other job was at Toys-R-Us. I was stationed in the gaming section (and the only employee that did not have to "rotate" from one section to another constantly). What kept it interesting is that MOST of the managers, of which there were many, didnt actually know how that section of the store worked (all managers focused on one or two sections, and there were MANY sections). So they'd do things like wheel in a cart of random whatever, clearly stuff that involved my section, and say things like "Here's a cart of whatever this is, I dont know what you do with it, just... do something". Instead of being constantly told to do braindead things, it was up to me to figure out what to do, and alot of tasks werent so simple as just restocking shelves. This kept the job at least somewhat mentally engaging. Not to mention that I was pretty much the only one at the store that REALLY knew about the products being sold there, so I was often called upon to give recommendations and opinions of different things to customers. Rather than just having the mindless "selling" interactions.

Forced schedules were another bad thing. I know alot of people on the spectrum need that sort of structure, but I tend to be the opposite. My "schedule" is chaotic and random and I make decisions on a whim. This clashed badly with the rigid structure of any job. Everything had to be done at specific times, and I couldnt even just go use the bathroom when I wanted to, or sit down and relax a bit when I felt the need. Had specific times only where I could do things like that. It was... bad.

And then... the uniforms. Uuuuugh. I have alot of the same sensory issues as many people on this site... you do the math. ALL of the uniforms were the direct opposite of clothing that I can tolerate. The one exception was the bank. That job was held in a seperate building that most people didnt even know the purpose of, let alone actually enter, so nobody gave a fart what I wore each day. All they cared about there was that I could keep the machines from going bonkers too much.

So, yeah, that's my experience with jobs. Or, what most people consider "proper" jobs anyway. MUCH later on (a couple of years ago actually), I received a contract offer from a game developer I know, to do some extremely specific work on the project, and THAT was more my speed. I fully explained all of my issues to the guy, and he was fine with all of them...even my reduced work hours. I was never given mind-melting braindead orders... instead, I made the choices and was given the authority to veto/cancel decisions made by others. And I could do it from my house. What they really cared about there was results, and I gave them exactly that. Granted, it was kinda scary at first... I remember when the project started, I asked the lead developer "so, what should I do first?" and his response was "Well, what do you think you should do first? Whatever it is, go do that". And my thoughts on that were "Oh gods I'm going to screw up the entire thing somehow". But it worked out well in the end. Stupidly though, alot of people dont consider that to be "real" work. Because derp.

Overall, the real trick is finding a job that's A: mentally engaging, and B: aligned with your skillset and interests if possible. Unfortunately, alot of jobs... particularly entry level stuff... are neither. And some jobs have odd ways to get in, too. That contract came to me... not the other way around. Sometimes, that's how it works... you never know where an opportunity might come from, so be prepared to spot potential opportunities... it's easy to miss them as they're not always so obvious.

There, that's my long ramble about that, which probably helps nobody. But I wrote it anyway. Not like anybody could stop me. Well, maybe Batman could.

It was awesome! :cool:

For most people on and off the spectrum, jobs are about drudgery; survival and the working day something that just has to be got through before the evening when they go home and can actually do something they want to and enjoy. People who actually enjoy their jobs are a minority and nearly everyone has some aspect of their job that they find difficult. Many people try several jobs before they find one that suits them, most become tired by work, and we do more than most. People on the spectum usually find jobs with a lot of interaction with people or clients difficult, as well as dealing with a boss or others of higher authority, and deadlines or working under pressure. I think that it's better for autistic people to be self-employed, to find a job which doesn't involve a lot of interaction, where they can work at home, or to find work related to a hobby or interest. Also, if you are applying for jobs, it might be a good idea to try and learn about that company's work ethic/policies, check out their offices if possible to see if it is an enviroment you could tolerate, and check out the company's policy towards people requiring reasonable adustments. If you can talk to someone who works there, that would also help, though I know that these things aren't always possible.

Well seeing as I've only ever worked in a voluntary capacity, it's not been a major problem.

Well not until I was forced to leave my last job in April 2017 due to a personal feud with a colleague (which HE started)

My job suits me. Minimal interaction with others, flexible schedule, varied, interesting and intellectually challenging, like with any job there are bits I dislike it's as good as anything I could ask for... and it is still exhausting and stressful. I think this is true for the vast majority of people, NT and ND. It's just something you have to do to survive, unless you are lucky enough to get benefits or be independently wealthy. Gritting your teeth and drudging through the drudgery is a large part of adult life. You have to learn to live with it.

Take comfort in knowing you are not alone in this. I was so burnt out from a few interactions during my part-time work day, that I quit. I'm going to look for another part time job this summer, hopefully one that does not require a lot of social interaction.

3. Uniforms.

Now, there were a couple of places that were sort of exceptions to this. One was when I worked at the bank. It was an unusual job, running check sorters, enormous machines about the size of a car. Giant piles of checks would come in from a variety of branches... I think it was 12 different banks... and all of them would need to go through these two machines. What made it "engaging" was the fact that the machines were made of distilled crazy and would flip out constantly, making for non-stop situations that needed to be dealt with. These ranged from things like the machines shredding checks and spraying them into the air, to "clogs", or even nearly catching on fire a couple of times due to sheer friction. They needed constant babysitting. In that job, there was never a dull moment. Alot of "OMG WTH?!?" moments instead.

I work totally alone and have the whole building to myself. I love my job.

Other jobs I have had, not so much. I just did what I had to do in order to eat and pay the bills.

Whoops, I meant to ask, how are you earning a living if you aren't working? Are you retired?

"Family wealth" is the best way I could sum it up. I dont work, as I have no need. Which actually included that development bit... I was under paid contract initially, but I ended up doing much of it on a volunteer basis... the devs needed the money, I didnt. Though it took a good bit of convincing to get the lead guy to agree to it, he doesnt like NOT paying someone for their work. It ended up being for the best though, considering other situations for them. I sure wasnt doing that for money anyway, I'd wanted to make a game since I was like 7, thought I'd never get the chance.

But yeah, that's basically the situation. I'm certainly not retired or anything, nor of that age. I'm 37. And honestly I'm basically worthless at any "normal" job anyway. I'm incredibly spacey. Like, I have this 3-foot long keychain, right? No, I dont know why, just roll with it. One time, I lost it. Where was it? Wrapped around my arm, making noise. Yes, I'm THAT spacey. Or I do things like try to open a hotel room door with my car remote.

Needless to say, THAT sort of thing doesnt exactly translate well into a job environment. Managers, they dont have much of a sense of humor.

I'm in a situation where I have a great job (lots of repetitive tasks and I sit within a walled desk and can listen to music while I work and I don't answer take or do calls as part of reasonable adjustments)... however my relationships with my co-workers are very very strained. They're the kind of people who will invite everyone to things but barely talk to you in the office. Some made their dislike of me more obvious than others, but even then, they're all "keeping up appearances". There is a clique culture so some people are definitely more noticeably favoured over others. I often feel socially isolated and any efforts me to address the issues with management has been met with me being told I don't try enough... when I have disabilities to manage though, and helpful suggestions to help me be part of the group are ignored or rejected... what else can I do? Management just don't want to do anything about the situation. I asked about home working or being in a different room - all rejected. I hope I can find a new job (have been searching for at least 5+ years already with no joy!) - though I fear I will have a repeat of the same situation considering this isn't the first time I've faced two-faced/miserable people clique culture. Seriously, I'm struggling to find a new job and they're whining daily about hating being in the office, yet won't go find a new job... it's frustrating. They don't have the same limitations as me. Sigh. They joked about not turning up for work if they won the lottery... I wish they would win it!

New Threads

Top Bottom