1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with your ?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by shinobi, Aug 13, 2019.

1. shinobi

shinobi New Member

I would say "meltdown" but I agree with other people saying that it sounds offensive so I won't use it in this thread title. My question is, how do you cope?

I still struggle even to this very day when everything overwhelms me. I've had grown adults making fun of me in public, labeling me as a "spoiled brat" and demanding me to be taken to hospital to be "drugged and locked up".

Usually when people approach me slowly in a quiet tone and just talk to me, I start to calm down. Ear defenders really help as well. I keep a colouring book with me as well, some retailers sell colouring books for adults, I find it very therapeutic.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

I try and stay away from things like that will cause that. If i cant then i build myself up until I can face it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dragonfire42

dragonfire42 Member

I'm more prone to "shutdowns" these days, but I'm pretty good at telling when it's going to happen with enough warning that I can at least get myself outside so it at least isn't happening in the middle of a crowded public space. I've found that playing time-waster games that don't require much thought on my phone really helps keep me distracted and grounded enough to avoid a lot of "meltdowns"/"shutdowns".

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Autistamatic

Autistamatic He's just this guy, you know? V.I.P Member

Avoiding situations that trigger me is the only defence that has ever worked for me. I'm more of a shutdowner but the principle's the same. I have structured my life and routine to minimise my exposure to things that get to me. Work was a major source of such stress for many years and one I could do little about, but even that is under control now.

Think of the old joke...

"Doctor, Doctor - it hurts when I do this..."
    "Well don't do it then!"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Southern Discomfort

Southern Discomfort Smarter than the Average Bear V.I.P Member

I don't have meltdowns. Never have. So I have nothing to add to this thread but since I'm here do yourself a favour: what sounds offensive and what is offensive is different. My major gripe with the autism community is that a lot of people get too upset over the words used instead of having discussion and challenging views on matters that really do make a difference.

Being careful with words is good but make sure you don't over do it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Shamar

Shamar Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

You will find there are nearly as many ways to deal with these things as there are members here. Everyone is different and needs to deal with it in their own way. When I feel it getting to be too much, I deal with it by going into the woods, finding a decent size stick, and beating rocks with it while screaming until exhausted. I don't let it get to the point where I lose control, I do something about it before it gets that far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

I've never heard of the idea that "meltdown" is offensive. Does anyone know why?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

Having chronic agoraphobia and social phobia, stops me from meltdowns in public.

At home, I have to be alone, but taking medicine for anger issues and that does calm me down a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

This. I avoid known triggers, and if I can't deal with something at that point, or am upset, I give it time; I wait until I feel I can face it. Unfortunately, it's not always possible to avoid problems as some incidents can crop up suddenly, and these are hard to deal with. I often engage in a discreet stim, such as biting the inside of my cheek, or rubbing a key in my pocket, to distract myself and dissipate the surge of negative emotion.

10. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

Or get a lava lamp background for your cell phone.

• Like Like x 2
  11. shinobi

shinobi New Member

I don't have a fear of leaving the house, but I am an introvert and I agree being indoors away from large crowds helps avoid me from having one of my episodes.

I have to take medication to calm me down too, my doctor has prescribed me with antidepressants and tranquillizers.

12. Bolletje

Bolletje Potato chip wizard V.I.P Member

Depending on the type of meltdown I either go for a walk in the park or lying in bed in fetal position.

• Friendly Friendly x 1