• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with [opinion] overwhelm?

oatmealday

I've been really overwhelmed with the whole world and its problems lately. I'm studying philosophy for university entrance exams and slowly realized that things are not black-and-white and there are many correct ways to view the world. I'm not exactly overwhelmed or scared of various topics and events, but rather of all the different opinions people have about these subjects.
My coping method is of course special interests, but it's just a temporary help.

How do you guys deal with this?

I get overwhelmed - but then I have to remind myself, that I can only do my bit. Do what you can, and what you have within your power to effect.

Still, every day I have a mini crisis over global events.

My head is a constant battle between catastrophic thinking and trying to calm myself down with rationalism. My instinct always seems to be over the top. Logic is always playing catch up to my over the top thoughts and imagination.

Ed

What a great topic and post. I understand it and share your feeling of being overwhelmed with the many opinions on these topics.

I would suggest you continue to listen and consider the opinions of others. Diversity of thought is very healthy and a liberty.

Take the time to ask yourself “am I overwhelmed and are theses opinions stealing my joy?” Do not allow the cares of today that may effect today’s happiness to steal your deeper joy.

Good luck in your studies and may you thrive, be grateful, and find yourself growing less overwhelmed and more joyful each day.

This is what I try to do.

Thank you again for the post.

Last edited:
I'm not into philosophy really but think I understand a little of what you mean. It can be interesting in small bits, but I need to let it sink in. Like half a paragraph. There is no way my mind can keep up with a whole conversation. My brain would explode.

I don't think I can exist and have meaning at the same time.

;)

Well, personally I had an existential crisis.

I was just thinking about this today. One of my friends had to bear the brunt of me just chewing everything over. He was very patient with me. Half the time he probably wasn't listening.

I didn't study philosophy. It was working with and getting to know people outside of school and family in my early 20s and that made me realise that I was quite black and white in my thinking. It was like learning to see in colour.

I think that my being too blunt about my own worldview upset my friend and that's what made me start to try and understand other people better.

I feel like I'm much more empathetic now and I am a better listener.

My issue now is trying not to be too soft. Its ok to have opinions, but I am over careful about being tactful now.

I kind of miss being narrow minded and definite about everything. I now overthink everything. Im in turmoil, I'm less at peace.

Edit - when I say I upset my friend, I don't mean that he took offense, I mean I actually hurt him emotionally because I was so blunt and hadn't taken his feelings into consideration. I wasn't very self aware when I was younger. I didn't always see how what I did affected other people.

Last edited:
Within the last year I have had struggles with information intake

At one point in March I only watched the evening news and that was it, and I love talk radio!

After a few months I came back to talk radio, but not a constant barrage of it, I turn it off sometimes, I go for walks (without the radio) to get away from it for a few hours

And negativity can sneak in, this week I was in a conversation (re: current events) that was fast going negative, I had to excuse myself and walk away before the conversation dragged me down with it!

We pretty much stopped watching any news. We’re in the states, but love British TV and mystery shows. Y’all are funny as heck. I love that Doc Martin show. Watching comedy, playing games (chess) and playing with our three large young dogs.

IMHO nothing but junk on TV, we cut the cable and watch free stuff or nothing at all. The world is insane, I’m not paying to watch it. Go Packers! Lol.

You are what you consume - if it trashy reality tv, you become trashy, if it's confusing opinions, you may become confused.

AFAIK there's only 2 outcomes from the study of philosophy, you will either come to believe there is a God or not. The politico/religious stance of the faculty will push one or the other through their choice of texts.

Why are you studying philosophy if alternative viewpoints stress you out? I used to read a lot of philosophy when I was an atheist. The majority of philosophers are morons incapable of writing coherently. I'm sure it made them feel better about themselves. It's an atheist sort of thing.

Why are you studying philosophy if alternative viewpoints stress you out? I used to read a lot of philosophy when I was an atheist. The majority of philosophers are morons incapable of writing coherently. I'm sure it made them feel better about themselves. It's an atheist sort of thing.

((((Big Hug))))). Thank God for I have found my tribe! :)

@Fino I lmao reading your post this morning, thanks for the belly laugh! Too funny, I’ve never been an atheist was raised Christian however like Jesus, I try to love everybody cause He does!

Great post, third day here, only second social media I use (no FB) and already feel at home.

Thank you to everyone for your answers!!! Having so many answers and different viewpoints made me feel appreciated (if a bit more overwhelmed xD). I'm super grateful to you all!

Why are you studying philosophy if alternative viewpoints stress you out?
To answer this question - I value questioning one's beliefs and opinions; because if we don't, we can easily end up with a completely skewed image of the nature of reality, the world we live in and ourselves. My whole life and lifestyle are based on philosophical questions and so it feels like a very natural area to study. Also, I just really like philosophy for its own sake! :)
The majority of philosophers are morons incapable of writing coherently.
Can you provide some evidence or sound arguments for your claim? If you speak about "philosophers" on social media - then I totally agree. But if you are referring to actual philosophy PhDs who submit extremely well argued essays in philosophical papers, then I cannot agree with you outright.

AFAIK there's only 2 outcomes from the study of philosophy, you will either come to believe there is a God or not. The politico/religious stance of the faculty will push one or the other through their choice of texts.
I'm a bit surprised that some of you brought religion/atheism or politics into the discussion, as philosophy of religion and whether or not there is a God is just one small-ish branch of philosophy. At least here in Finland, the universities are purposefully extremely neutral about any sort of religion and/or politics. In the high school philosophy books I've been reading, they urge students to consider ALL the different types of societies (everything from anarchy to different types of democracy to totalitarianism). No opinions are pushed by the teachers, and it is taught to practice making arguments for and against every possible argument and subject out there - regardless of the thinker's own opinions.

As I said above, thank you so much everyone for the thoughtful messages. I will reflect on your answers. Have a good day folks!

New Threads

Top Bottom