• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I....

I don't get this "following" people on the forum... what is it about? What happens when you follow someone? What is the purpose of it?

I don't get this "following" people on the forum... what is it about? What happens when you follow someone? What is the purpose of it?

I have no idea and I'm a mod. Perhaps it's just to show your support and interest in someone, can't see any other reason for it.

From what I've figured out, it seems that when you follow another member, their activity on the forum, such as if they start a thread, post, update their profile page or rate a post, will be added to the page 'your news feeds' (which you can find it the drop down menu that appears when you hover your cursor over your name, at the top right of the page). It's as though you are 'following' their activity on the forum, and when you view 'your news feeds' you see a list, in chronological order, of the posting/rating activity of the people you follow. In the same way that a person may like to hang out with a specific group of people IRL, I tend to think of following members as something along the same lines.

I think it may be possible to set options so that even if a member opts to follow you, your activity won't show up on their news feeds page, if you would prefere this to be the case.

There are options it the blog and media sections to limit who views your blog or media entries and one of the options is 'people you follow', so if you want to be selective about who can see your media and/or blog posts, this is one way of doing it.

There may be other elements to following people that I'm not aware of.

From what I've figured out, it seems that when you follow another member, their activity on the forum, such as if they start a thread, post, update their profile page or rate a post, will be added to the page 'your news feeds' (which you can find it the drop down menu that appears when you hover your cursor over your name, at the top right of the page). It's as though you are 'following' their activity on the forum, and when you view 'your news feeds' you see a list, in chronological order, of the posting/rating activity of the people you follow. In the same way that a person may like to hang out with a specific group of people IRL, I tend to think of following members as something along the same lines.

I think it may be possible to set options so that even if a member opts to follow you, your activity won't show up on their news feeds page, if you would prefere this to be the case.

There are options it the blog and media sections to limit who views your blog or media entries and one of the options is 'people you follow', so if you want to be selective about who can see your media and/or blog posts, this is one way of doing it.

There may be other elements to following people that I'm not aware of.
Ok thanks, I get it now :)

How do I quote a member's name and make it a link? I've noticed people do that so the member being addressed or referred to gets an alert about it. I'd like to be able to do that but can't figure out the method.

How do I quote a member's name and make it a link? I've noticed people do that so the member being addressed or referred to gets an alert about it. I'd like to be able to do that but can't figure out the method.
Cosmophylla

@-Cosmophylla and then remove the little -

Or at least that's the only way I can manage but not sure if it makes the link that you say (i use the mobile app so it could be different)

RidingDutchman
Cosmophylla

Using and then removing the hyphen is an unnecessary step.
Use the @ next to the name of the member.
No space in between the @ and the name.

You may notice as you are entering the name, a representation
of the name & avatar appears. You can click on that & it will
enter the information. Slight variation in technique. Same result.

Thanks, tree

I interpreted what RidingDutchman wrote as trying to show literally what to write, but if he had written it with the at sign and the name, it would have shown as a link, not as how to write it. Defeating the purpose. :)

Thanks, tree

I interpreted what RidingDutchman wrote as trying to show literally what to write, but if he had written it with the at sign and the name, it would have shown as a link, not as how to write it. Defeating the purpose. :)
Yep.
He showed you how he did it.
And I showed how to do it without that step.

New Threads

Top Bottom