• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I tell my mum about a change I want making to my routine?

ok, it s gonna sounds stupid but I have been thinking for a while that I would prefer everything to be set out in a routine, one of the things I wanted to do was to ask my Mum whether I could set out when I will make a cup of tea/coffee so that I can minimize the risk of me getting angry or fustrated at the fact that I have been disrupted while I am doing something. How do I ask her without sounding ridiculous?

By "set out when," do you mean the exact time, like you have to start at 7:30am and any other minute would be distressing?

If you mean a little less exact, then I think it's a great idea, but I'm also OCD in this way. She must be aware of your autism, right? How has she been with it generally? It shouldn't sound ridiculous at all to just say it outright to someone who knows you're autistic.

Last edited:
By "set out when," do you mean the exact time, like it you have to start at 7:30am and any other minute would be distressing?

If you mean a little less exact, then I think it's a great idea, but I'm also OCD in this way. She must be aware of your autism, right? How has she been with it generally? It shouldn't sound ridiculous at all to just say it outright to someone who knows you're autistic.

She is aware yes, she went with me during the diagnosis and has known from day one. And I mean like around 8am and around 12pm for example.

How do you get interrupted when making a cup of coffee or tea?

Could you just say, as many times as necessary, "please don't ________ until I have finished making my tea"? Eventually the people in your life will get that it's your special quirk and will know better than to ________ . (The blank line indicates whatever action you feel disrupts you, whether that's talking to you, or whatever.)

New Threads

Top Bottom