• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I sleep tonight? Mensa IQ test.

You are as smart as you are, and will be whatever the test results were. Gifted, genius, these are just words that have more than one interpretation, ones that will tend to make you look silly if you go around self-applying them, even if you are able to back them up.

I don't know what Mensa test you took, but I understand that preliminary tests they are likely to give you are more of the pass/fail type than the accurate number generating type. Entry into Mensa requires 140, which is in some official capacity considered to be genius - it's a genius club. Sounds like you passed.

Newton was a genius. He changed the way that humanity sees the world (universe, whatever) we live in. That's another definition of genius. Big word to throw around.

It's good to know your own strengths, you know that working with your brain may be a good idea. You do truly have a gift, but it's not the solution to everything, believe me. You seem way too hung up on this. Once you call yourself a genius you can at best meet expectations, you can also look foolish pretty quickly even when you're right, because all those non-geniuses out there (pretty much everyone) won't always understand you.

i did an iq test when i was really young, my parents refused to tell me the outcome, i was supposedly dominant as a child, so they were worried that i would be worse if i knew, all they told me was that i was in the top 5%, i looked it up and translates into ca 120-125, or 'very superior intelligence' (copied this from a site) - but not 'genius' :),
i had to redo it a few years ago as part of my aspie diagnosis and it came up the same

don't worry about the test, at the end of the day it is just a label, and has no impact on your intelligence or who you are,

admittedly, while it's cool to know, be aware that it is no way a guarantee for success in life,
my inability to:
- work with other people
- 'sell' my ideas and get people on board
and the fact that my managers often feel threatened by me (i didn't make that up, it is what I've been told by coaches etc), has resulted me in running into the wall over and over again

be aware that being intelligent can worsen your relationships with friends and loved ones, so it is important to remember:
- being smarter than other people, doesn't make you better than them, people can find it obnoxious when you are just trying to be factual
- if you are intelligent, you will likely be finishing people's sentences in your end before they finish them verbally, be patient
- stay open to other people's opinions, there is always something that you have missed, no matter how smart you are
- being right about something always feels great, but when it implies hurting someone else's feelings, you really need to consider whether the satisfaction of being right weighs up against the mess of hurting someone

so to make a long story (that was slightly off topic), the label doesn't matter, the test outcome doesn't matter, you have a tool, use it in a way that makes you and those that are close to you happy, nothing beats feeling useful, at least not for me

I'm not sure what the original post was, and I understand you don't want to talk about it so I don't expect a response.

I was officially tested by the local Mensa proctor. I didn't get in, but I scored really high, and I had pneumonia the day I was tested ( I was too stubborn to reschedule because they only offered testing a few times a year). They require you to be in the 98th percentile, I tested in the 97th.

Now, I used to really proud of that, and it haunted me that I would never know if I could have scored better if I had been in good health...but...I've since learned something. IQ scores are unimportant, they only serve to create division where there should be harmony, because everyone has something valuable to offer. Having a high IQ didn't make me better at life. IQ only measures one way to learn, and it's far from the only way. I've known people who would score below average on a standard IQ test that have skills that I can't wrap my head around and couldn't dream of learning because they don't make sense to me.

IQ is overrated, and ultimately means very little.

"IQ is overrated, and ultimately means very little."
@Robin Winter
This society is specifically designed to remove or nullify any notable advantage from the masses, intelligence included.
The robber barons refuse to compete fairly with the slaves.
So while it may indeed seem that IQ conveys no advantage, the system has been designed that way, and, naturally, evolutionarily, it is possibly the most important advantage one can have.
We are forcibly "devolving" our species because "greed", "power", and "created priveledge".
Might does not make right.
Please, do not devalue yourself because "society".
You are indeed amazing, in your own right.

@sidd851

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not devaluing myself or anyone who has a high IQ, I'm assigning an equally high value to everyone who doesn't. Intelligence of the type measured in these tests is an advantage, in certain areas, but it doesn't make other types of intelligence or other abilities less valuable. When I said I "used" to be proud, I was referring to a sense of superiority. I no longer have that, and I have certainly never earned it. Some of the things I can do might be seen as amazing by others who can't, but when, for example, I see someone with a median IQ score create a beautiful sweater from colorful balls of fluff, I am truly amazed and humbled, but they for the most part will downplay their ability as "just following directions". Well those are directions I can't begin to comprehend, and it's a skill I will never have. I look at it like this....if society self destructed and we were forced to start over, everyone would have an equally valuable contribution, so not only am I not devaluing myself, I refuse to devalue anyone.

I have never taken a formal IQ test and don't ever intend to, it's just a number, it reflects how well you did on one particular test on one day and may not reflect your true intelligence, and anyway, who cares? People with high IQs who brag about it are just annoying, and if I did know my IQ I would keep it to myself.

I once replied to a newspaper advert for Mensa, but I was put off joining when I discovered that Jimmy Saville was a member. Not that I had any idea back then that he was a sexual predator - I just thought that he was an annoying prat.

What's main appeal of Mensa, anyway?

Why would anyone want to join the organization?

This has been my question for years. Joining just for the sake of hanging around a bunch of "certified" smart people is not appealing to me. Are some geniuses not capable of communicating with non-geniuses? I believe that if you are truly are a genius, you should be able to talk to people at any level of intelligence (up to your own) - it's something I work hard at (and hope I have accomplished).

And I don't think Mensa does anything useful - I've never seen a news headline announcing that Mensa accomplished something, solved a problem, or contributed to society.

I've had several IQ tests as part of my schooling, but they never shared the results with me, so I don't know my own IQ. I've been tempted many times to find out, but then I think, "And what would I do with that information?"

I'd rather take one as part of a psychological assessment rather than to join an exclusive club. Already have before come to think of it, and I can safely say I'm not an intellectual powerhouse. Wasn't crossing my fingers for it to begin with...

No thanks to Mensa, but if that's your style good luck to you. Just know that you may not get exactly what you wish for. :)

I remember doing an IQ test once. Everyone around me seems to think I'm crazy smart, even if I do things like make sandwiches and forget the bread (no, seriously, I've done that) or try to open hotel room doors with my car remote (I cant make this stuff up).

Did an IQ test as part of some... er.... something. I dont remember the reason. I remember they went to give me the number and said "Okay, dont get a big head about this, but the number is... " and then some number I forget.

My amazingly intelligent response was "Sooo... is that good or bad?".

And then everyone trying not to laugh at that one. But at least it's a better moment than the sandwich thing. Or the recent one where I bought a gallon of milk and put it in the closet instead of the fridge. That was just super.

I believe I did an IQ test when I was younger, unsure of what I got. To me it's a good thing to do but not sure it's something that predicts any sort of success.

Mensa once promoted astrology on their web site. That told me enough about them to ignore the silly cult.

On the standard 200 question IQ instrument I scored 147. On the WordSum instrument I scored 136. I would pay good money to be average, as living with hyper-analytical thinking is a curse, not a blessing, no matter the intelligence of the person.

When people with average and lower IQ scores are hyper-mental, they tend to be superstitious (i.e., religious), conservative, authoritarian, delusional, and paranoid. Autistic people with exceptional intelligence are some times considered "hypo-mentalist" and they go the opposite way: reality-based, fair, just, honest, egalitarian, and (for lack of a better word) "anti-paranoid." Autistic people tend to not believe the gods exist.

One interesting addition: since human males are more likely to be autistic, boys and men are observed to reject belief in the gods more than girls and women. IQ scores do not correlate with mentalism.

Last edited:
I believe I did an IQ test when I was younger, unsure of what I got. To me it's a good thing to do but not sure it's something that predicts any sort of success.

MIT and Harvard Business school reported on their study of success in the USA. Both institutions noted that intelligence, hard work, and perseverance have little to do with success. They noted that success is overwhelmingly a matter of luck.

Entry into Mensa requires 140,...
(FYI, people with 130 IQs are just as alienated from normal society as those with 70 are.)

What's main appeal of Mensa, anyway?

Why would anyone want to join the organization?
Most gifted individuals have what is called "asymmetrical development." It is another expression of neuro-diversity that is quite similar to "pervasive development disorder" (the basis for autism).*

Gifties are eccentric, outcasts and get each other. They can relate to each other much like auties can relate to each other. Mensa is an arena to do just that.

Before my autism diagnosis, giftedness could account for so much of my social exclusion. Autism well accounts for the rest of it.

People who don't qualify probably won't enjoy themselves there anyway. I know that there are higher IQ groups that I don't qualify for, but they just don't appeal to me anyway.

*It is possible to have both. That is what "twice exceptional" is. And there is a lot of shared traits between auties & gifties.

Last edited:
...Most gifted individuals have what is called "asymmetrical development." It is another expression of neuro-diversity that is quite similar to "pervasive development disorder" (the basis for autism).*...

This right here is my situation. I imagine my younger brother would probably fall under this category as well (he's not on the spectrum, but he does have a good heaping of ADHD with a LOT of potential). There's a running joke that all the guys in our family got all the smarts...not sure what to say about that :p

I already had testing and labels of "gifted", "shows signs of giftedness" and other vague terms slapped on my head before the diagnosis, but that alone wasn't even close to the whole picture. The test I took during my diagnosis - the WAIS III, a.k.a. "an actual IQ test" - isn't a general knowledge or multiple choice quiz, and it proved just that. It tests several gears of the brain...some of mine are running well, some not so much. More in-depth than anything you need to join a club, and it trumps anything you can find online. Also (and it's been mentioned and proven many times before), a triple-digit score alone means squat.

I might sound silly saying this, but if these Mensa folks aren't scatterbrained like myself then there's really not going to be a whole lot of common ground to work with.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom