• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how do I learn to "take responsibility" ?

Turbocks

I am an 18 year old teenage boy with asperger's syndrome and one big problem that tends to irritate my dad a lot is that I am unable to take responsibility for a lot of things at home and that he has to do things for me.

Is there something wrong with me or what?
what should I do to fix this problem
and what am I doing wrong in the first place?

I am getting pretty tired of hearing the same thing over and over again but I don't know how to fix it.

I don't really have any plans for the future after I finish high school and I am not sure if I will ever be able to manage a home myself successfully outside of school.

And I have wasted so much money on junk food like Mc Donalds and I buy it with my monthly funds that are supposed to be used for buying school materials.

I am also considering visiting a psychologist after I finish high school to evaluate my mental health because I have had issues when being around kids not belonging to my family.

Perhaps work on specific issues one at a time and trouble shoot those issues - write down ways to overcome the problem, get advice from others if necessary. For complicated tasks, break it into steps and work on it each step at a time. For example, eating too much junkfood. Ways round this:

-Take food from home when you go out. Fruit is a good thing to eat to keep yu going until the next meal and will stop those hunger cravings.
Don't take money with you when you go out, unless you really need it.
- Buy school materials at the beginning of the month, so you know you have them and the rest of the money can be spent as you wish.
- Go to MacDonald's but go for a healthier or cheaper option - have a burger without the fries. Have water instead of coke, Choose a salad or sandwich instead of burger and fries.

What sort of issues?
  • Contentious/impatient?
  • Violent?
  • Sexual attraction? or
  • Something else?

I think it's pedophilia because I have a foot fetish and I tend to get boners around kids wearing only socks or no footwear.

Several times I have also tickled or touched the bare feet of kids.

Oh you're the foot guy. Don't wait until you finish high school to see a psychologist. See one NOW.

As for spending money on McDonalds, don't take money out with you so you can't spend it on things you don't need. Also buy the things you DO need such as school supplies as soon as you get the money, so you don't have time to waste it.

What does your dad have to "do for you" at home?

Note: edited for typos

Last edited:
Asking the question how you could become more responsible is itself a step in the right direction. I know the "transition to adulthood" is a really difficult time for people on the spectrum. Try to keep an open mind.

I'd agree with another commenter that you may want to see a psychologist sooner than graduation about that fetish thing. If you are uncomfortable telling your parents why you want to see one, just say you are having a lot of inner turmoil. The psychologist should not reveal your issue to anyone*, and especially if you explain you don't want your parents to know.

*the exception is if you pose an imminent danger to others, such as you are already seeking out children to molest. That's why you should nip this tendency in the bud before it becomes worse.

I am an 18 year old teenage boy with asperger's syndrome and one big problem that tends to irritate my dad a lot is that I am unable to take responsibility for a lot of things at home and that he has to do things for me.

Is there something wrong with me or what?
what should I do to fix this problem
and what am I doing wrong in the first place?

I am getting pretty tired of hearing the same thing over and over again but I don't know how to fix it.

I don't really have any plans for the future after I finish high school and I am not sure if I will ever be able to manage a home myself successfully outside of school.

And I have wasted so much money on junk food like Mc Donalds and I buy it with my monthly funds that are supposed to be used for buying school materials.

I am also considering visiting a psychologist after I finish high school to evaluate my mental health because I have had issues when being around kids not belonging to my family.

i know how that feels,because my mother rarely allows me to do stuff like that (bringing a handheld gaming device with me to my morning program & it was not to be taken out on the subway train until i got there) as well as my evening program,and if anybody sees it & asks if they could play with it,i just say no,but they can watch if they choose to.

Oh you're the foot guy. Don't wait until you finish high school to see a psychologist. See one NOW.

As for spending money on McDonalds, don't take money out with you so you can't spend it on things you don't need. Also buy the things you DO need such as school supplies as soon as you get the money, so you don't have time to waste it.

What does your dad have to "do for you" at home?

Note: edited for typos

It can be things I forget or tend ignore like shaving myself or forgetting a visit to the dentist.

I have been trying to learn to cook food myself with some help from my dad and I eventually managed to cook some Pasta carbonara.

Before that he used to cook most of the food by himself and I used to have to warm ready to eat frozen food in the microwave like boxes with noodles along with sauce and chicken.

I have even learned how to wash the laundry and the importance of not mixing laundry randomly and to sort it by colour instead.

I also manage the dishes when needed but he needs to remind me when to take out the trash which is one thing I tend to ignore.

I will probably learn more things eventually but this is a good start so far.

New Threads

Top Bottom