• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I create a GoFundMe?

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
I have a friend who's abused by his parents and he needs to get OUT of there as soon he graduates high school The parents are SO controlling they refuse to let him learn to drive or even get a job. It's a very rural Bible-Belt town on top of a mountain. The father is some kind of minister and "rules" over the whole town. The police and anyone who could possibly help my friend is on the side of the father. That's just the way it works in a lot of these small towns.

He wants to leave "home" when he graduates, but that's impossible without money. The nearest homeless shelter is over fifteen minutes away by car and like I said, he's on the top of a mountain.

I want to start a Go Fund Me for him so he can get out of that hellhole, get an apartment and job and finally start living his own life. But I don't have a clue about how to set one up. I'm also on government benefits and have always heard that if you make money this way, or if someone makes a Go Fund Me account for you they will take away your benefits. I don't know about making one for another person, but I don't want to take chances. If anyone could help me, you'd have no idea how grateful I would be.

I have a friend who's abused by his parents and he needs to get OUT of there as soon he graduates high school The parents are SO controlling they refuse to let him learn to drive or even get a job. It's a very rural Bible-Belt town on top of a mountain. The father is some kind of minister and "rules" over the whole town. The police and anyone who could possibly help my friend is on the side of the father. That's just the way it works in a lot of these small towns.

He wants to leave "home" when he graduates, but that's impossible without money. The nearest homeless shelter is over fifteen minutes away by car and like I said, he's on the top of a mountain.

I want to start a Go Fund Me for him so he can get out of that hellhole, get an apartment and job and finally start living his own life. But I don't have a clue about how to set one up. I'm also on government benefits and have always heard that if you make money this way, or if someone makes a Go Fund Me account for you they will take away your benefits. I don't know about making one for another person, but I don't want to take chances. If anyone could help me, you'd have no idea how grateful I would be.

I am not understanding what you meant- having a homeless shelter “15 minutes away” is very doable. (Did you mean 15 miles? Even that can be done) Why can’t he get there? I would walk, or bike to that shelter. So what if he is on a mountain? If he is still a child, then there are social service agencies that can help him.

Also, he needs more than just money and a job. Someone 17 needs guidance and help. There are a lot of homeless teenagers in big cities like mine. They come from oppressive small towns with abusive families. Many of these young adults seek jobs, but wind up out in the streets hustling, selling themselves, and turn to drugs. Please understand that hooking your friend up with a healthy safe network is far better than giving him money and turning him out on the streets. It’s hard to find living wage jobs with only a GED, and no work background. Besides, even with money, apts don’t want to rent to someone so young with no credit history.

I feel strongly that this plan needs to be thought out further. Things can go bad even if your friend gets some cash. He needs a support system - perhaps case management, counseling, and a job readiness program.

Last edited:
I am not understanding what you meant- having a homeless shelter “15 minutes away” is very doable. Why can’t he get there? I would walk, or bike to that shelter. So what if he is on a mountain? If he is still a child, then there are social service agencies that can help him.

He's NOT a child. He is eighteen. I don't think you understand how it works in the Bible-Belt.

GoFundMe: #1 Free Fundraising Platform

I know you'll need to establish a PayPal account. I was looking into do it at one time, but didn't want to bother opening another bank account just for PayPal since I wasn't comfortable with having money transferring in and out of my account at free will.

Nevertheless, you can find what you need to know the Go Fund Me site.

They don't discuss about if you are on government benefits.

He's NOT a child. He is eighteen. I don't think you understand how it works in the Bible-Belt.

Could you explain it to me. My cousins live in a Bible Belt...I visited once for a week and hated it. I wonder what your friend’s parents hope for his future since you say they do not want him to work or drive. What plans do they have for him?

I work with the homeless. I have one client that rides daily 18 miles from the night time shelter, to our day program to get meals and services. This in snowstorms, and on an old bike that constantly gets flats, and has NO brakes. The people at my agency also have severe needs, just as your friend does.

He's an adult.

You can give him the addresses of local places.

The rest is up to him.

If his family is abusive, stockholm syndrome may be an issue.

Ie at the last minute he will take the money and support his family.

Your issue is boundaries.

Its great to want to help but -

He has to choose not to be a victim all by himself.

Learn your boundaries.

(Ask yourself was this hard to read? If so I may be right)

Could you explain it to me. My cousins live in a Bible Belt...I visited once for a week and hated it. I wonder what your friend’s parents hope for his future since you say they do not want him to work or drive. What plans do they have for him?

I don't know. Probably just continue to abuse him.

What town or county? No use finding resources 1/2 a state away from him. You could also google autism resources in his county and area of the state as well as employment resources for recent HS graduates, shelters, homes for young adults.

See my comment above.

What town or county? No use finding resources 1/2 a state away from him. You could also google autism resources in his county and area of the state as well as employment resources for recent HS graduates, shelters homes for young adults.

Carter country. His plan is to leave. But autism services for adults in the US do not exist.

Agreed Fridge, that's why I suggested she google resources and give him the information. If he's an aspie then I wonder why he hasn't joined this forum. But yeah, he has to make the decision not to be a victim any longer.

He was going to, but someone kinda scared him off in another post I made about him. Accusing him of making it all up. Even if he is, and I want to make a Go Fund Me account, that's what I'm asking for: advice on how to make a Go Fund Me account, not whether or not he is telling the truth. I will decide that.

And I dont think you understand how it works in the real world for young people without skills, education, support, or a sound plan. Your friend needs to make sure he has somewhere better to go. It might not be good where he is, but it can get much, much worse very quickly. Having a bunch of cash in hand is not a plan. It will not last long without housing and a job.

...but didn't want to bother opening another bank account just for PayPal since I wasn't comfortable with having money transferring in and out of my account at free will.
It is a good idea to open a separate account just for internet activity and other high-risk transactions to protect your main assets. (Once created, that would be the account to use for PayPal.)

The idea is to only transfer the money that you authorized into that account. If someone tries to take out more than they are supposed to, it won't let them.* Even if somebody does manage to take unauthorized money, that activity is easier to spot in an account with so little traffic.

It is a good idea to keep about $5 in it the rest of the time (to keep the account open).

*Make sure you turn off back-up funding to this account.

Do you mean County or Country? Carter Country is an area in Georgia, whereas Carter County is near Johnson City. The nearest possible resource would be The Arc in Johnson City:

Home

That part of Tennessee is rather limited. The closest autism resources would be Knoxville. They may be able to assist in helping locate local resources:

Autism Society of East Tennessee

He's tried them.

And I dont think you understand how it works in the real world for young people without skills, education, support, or a sound plan. Your friend needs to make sure he has somewhere better to go. It might not be good where he is, but it can get much, much worse very quickly. Having a bunch of cash in hand is not a plan. It will not last long without housing and a job.

My plan is to get him enough to get out of there and find an apartment until he can find a job. It's not like I expect him to live off this for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
He's tried them.

My plan is to get him enough to get out of there and find an apartment until he can find a job. It's not like I expect him to live off this for the rest of his life.

Then he needs a whole lot of money! Most jobs pay so little that one cannot make a living wage. Especially right out of high school with no skill sets. You have not addressed his inability to deal with independence, which is more a roadblock then lack of money.

New Threads

Top Bottom