• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Did You React To Being Diagnosed?

Droopy

Founder & Former Admin
V.I.P Member
The story of how I became diagnosed can be found here.

When I first found out about my diagnoses I was bit shocked as I wasn't expecting a diagnoses of any sort. At first I didn't accept the diagnoses (as explained in the link above) and I had never heard of Autism or Asperger Syndrome before. So I started doing some internet research and eventually concluded that I did in fact have it and that there was nothing to be afriad of.

How did you react to being diagnosed?

I never really knew my reaction when I was diagnosed, I was 7 and a half when it happened.
But when I found out I had autism, I know for sure, I wasn't very happy about it but later on in life gotten more used to it.

I was relieved that I finally knew why I was so different and why I could never make or keep friends. But on the other hand, I worried that having a form of autism meant that I was mentally retarded. Then I learned that people with AS usually have above average intelligence, and I felt better.

I never had any reaction TBH. I didn't even know what it was when mom told me. I pictured hamburgers when I heard the name and I thought I could just get rid of it if I tried harder and I thought AS was where I was stupid and no wonder I struggle with my school work. Mom used to tell me my mind just works different and I have a different learning style and I see things differently and I felt like a freak. I never looked it up until my mom finally gave me information about it when I was almost 15 when I kept asking her what would I be like if I had more AS and kept asking her about the condition.

So I hated my AS and didn't think much of it and then I was blaming everything on it thinking it was the AS and then I started reading about it and it explained things about my past like why it was so difficult to have friends and relate to people and why I had obsessions (I always thought my obsessions were normal) and me taking things literal and it did say aspies don't like surprises and I can remember mom telling me I don't like them. But it did tell me how mild I had it since I couldn't relate to everything I was reading. But I learned to embrace it and I have learned more since the label and now I understand why people acted like I was supposed to read minds. I was missing out on cues and not reading between the lines. I also understand why it was so difficult for me to know what the rules were because kids break them and it confuse me. Aspies either get upset when rules get broken or get confused thinking it's okay to do and I got confused. I also didn't understand rules for different age groups. I didn't understand as you get older rules change and you can't do this or that anymore, it's unacceptable to do it so when I see toddlers doing something, I think it be okay to do not even knowing I know better. It was all black and white for me. Either it was okay or it wasn't. Same as with rules kids be breaking. Either it's okay or it's not. I think I was more of a black and white thinker then. I had changed since my preteens. I was already changing before I got my diagnoses.

I was diagnosed at age 9. I was supposed to go to special ed class but somehow, I ended up taking honors classes until a few years ago, when I had a depression...

I thought being diagnosed is nothing until now. I think I feel kind of disappointed when I understood my conditions when I suffered from depression. But now I am at peace with my condtitions.

It was when I was officially diagnosed, they for some reason started to put me in a special education of the school but then went to a special needs school at the age of 11.

I just knew it would of affected my future. I still wonder what would of happened if I was still undiagnosed?

I still wonder what would of happened if I was still undiagnosed?

I ask myself that question too. Like where would I be if the car accident never happened and I didn't miss so much school? Or what would life be like if I never found out I had AS?

You see, if the car accident never happened then I most likely would never have been diagnosed. That's the only good thing that came out of it.

I ask myself that question too. Like where would I be if the car accident never happened and I didn't miss so much school? Or what would life be like if I never found out I had AS?

You see, if the car accident never happened then I most likely would never have been diagnosed. That's the only good thing that came out of it.

Are you saying you got your AS from a car crash?

Are you saying you got your AS from a car crash?

No, what I am saying is that the car crash caused me to miss so much school for health reasons. Since I missed so much school, I was referred to many different support people and then eventually to a psychologist. The psychologist discovered that I had Asperger Syndrome.

So basically, if the car crash never happened, I would never have been referred to a psychologist and possibly never have known I had AS.

I always knew I was different. I knew that I was clever, people had been telling me that since I was very young. It didn't bother me that I found it hard to make friends because I was normally content playing on my own. I found out about Aspergers when I was 11. My year 6 teacher told my parents that she thought I had Aspergers and then I got a proper diagnosis. I was relieved to have an explanation as to why I was different.

Around about last December, I decided to do some research into Aspergers and was very surprised at the number of people in similar situations.

New Threads

Top Bottom