• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How can you tell when you’re ready for bed?

Jenisautistic

V.I.P Member
Sometimes I think I’m ready for bed I become sleepy take my medicine for the night lay down and become awake.

I don’t know if this is Due to the medicine or due to the fact I can’t tell when I’m tired enough to sleep.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to sleep better .

By the way I do not currently go to school and I have a job at the moment so I don’t really need to get up on a daily basis at the same time .

I am in the process of trying to get a day program or something similar .

generally when I'm tired/very sleepy

If I know i'm gonna have a hard time sleeping I'll usually take a couple 5mg meletonin.

I'm sitting here at 3:45am reading this so I am probably not the best person to give advice, lol!
But I was just thinking about this because I don't like being awake so late and every day being awake later and later.

The recent warmer weather has made it worse because bed is not so cozy and nice when it is no longer a way to escape the cold.

I find my mind racing in the dark, in bed.
I start to think more, or talk to myself (silently, mentally) when it is quiet and there are no outside stimuli to direct or to interrupt my thoughts. I can get into a deep and consuming discussion with my brain, and that isn't good for sleep. I have difficulty emptying my mind. I think I could actually have a quieter mind when there's something that breaks my train of thought. :rolleyes:
So yeah.. Dark and quiet doesn't make me sleepy, but can keep me awake. Its bad, huh? :rolleyes:
I have used some natural /herbal supplements, and those can help me to relax better, but I wouldn't feel right about actually recommending them when I don't know if they will interact with your meds or whether they'd even help at all. You would have to be sure that it's okay.
I almost always forget to take them or take them too late anyway. :oops:
I'm a little nervous about even naming them as I don't want to be seen as a druggist or anything. Melatonin seems widely used though.

If you have any type of sleep issues/difficulties, regardless of severity, you might find it beneficial to stick to a regular sleep schedule/pattern. Even if you do not have to 'wake at a particular time'/for any reason, you could benefit from waking up at the same time, or nearly the same time, each day. Irregularity in one's sleep schedule can effect various parts of the brain and entire nervous system, and immune system, for that matter.

If I'm not feeling tired enough to go to sleep at the time I have planned, or would like to, I will continue winding down, by reading, listening to soundscapes or relaxing music, take a hot, epsom salt bath, or simply, lay on my bed and focus on my breathing. I seem to need to listen to music to, actually, fall asleep each night and have been this way since I was very young. Perhaps, my entire life.

The use of electronics/ computer/ tv/ phone, etcetera can negatively impact one's ability to fall asleep, if used too close to one's bedtime.

If you use a computer/ laptop/ smartphone, etcetera, at night, or, at anytime, for that matter, I would recommend utilizing the program called f.lux, which changes the color of your computer screen's lighting, from blue, to warm tones, of which can also impact your ability to fall asleep, among other functions, both mental and physical. You can download f.lux to your computer and phone, by way of the attached link. I hope you are able to fall asleep, soon!

f.lux

Last edited:
If you use a computer/ laptop/ smartphone, etcetera, at night, or, at anytime, for that matter, I would recommend utilizing the program called f.lux, which changes the color of your computer screen's lighting, from blue, to warm tones, of which can also impact your ability to fall asleep, among other functions, both mental and physical. You can download f.lux to your computer and phone, by way of the attached link. I hope you are able to fall asleep, soon!

f.lux
I just got another one called night shift. I don't know which is better, but this seems to help with the discomfort of the bright white screen. Especially this forum which doesn't have a dark theme.

I sleep at the same time every night, take .3 mg of melatonin and 250mg of magnesium 30 minutes before I get into bed, have a whole routine of little things I do before I get into bed including reducing lighting as much as possible, then I listen to calming music for about ten minutes lying in bed, then I sleep.

I've had no problems sleeping since I started doing this.

If you have any type of sleep issues/difficulties, regardless of severity, you might find it beneficial to stick to a regular sleep schedule/pattern. Even if you do not have to 'wake at a particular time'/for any reason, you could benefit from waking up at the same time, or nearly the same time, each day. Irregularity in one's sleep schedule can effect various parts of the brain and entire nervous system, and immune system, for that matter.

If I'm not feeling tired enough to go to asleep at the time I have planned to, or would like to, I will continue winding down, by reading, listening to soundscapes or relaxing music, or simply, laying on my bed and focusing on my breathing. I seem to need to listen to music to, actually, fall asleep each night and have been this way since I was very young. Perhaps, my entire life.

The use of electronics/ computer/ tv/ phone, etcetera can negatively impact one's ability to fall asleep, if used too close to one's bedtime.

f.lux

I just downloaded it! It's awesome! You've changed my life! Thank you!

I just got another one called night shift. I don't know which is better, but this seems to help with the discomfort of the bright white screen. Especially this forum which doesn't have a dark theme.
My phone came equipped with Nightshift, and that is what I am using with it, currently. It, effectively, does the same thing as f.lux, and works very well for my needs. f.lux offers a few additional settings, but, I haven't utilized most of them. : )

Last edited:
I use f.lux too. For me, it's a matter of routine. I always go to bed at about the same time every night, and get up at the same time, and my body clock is adjusted to that. I also read in bed until I feel sleepy, though I never fall asleep straight away, it can take up to an hour before I actually sleep. The trick is not to worry about it, because if you are anxious it gets even harder to sleep and exacerbates the problem.

I go to bed and get up close to the same time every night also.
Just that I am a night owl and do everything about 5 hours later than most day people.
If I'm very tired and sleepy I can go to sleep.
But, I have developed the need for ambient music also when I lay down for sleep.
It clears my thoughts and I'm off in 10 mins.

It's interesting how much this sort of thing varies from one person to the next.

In my case, my sleep schedule kinda... rotates. Not for anything resembling a reason. Just does. Like, I went to bed yesterday at, uhh... 10 AM? Today I'll probably hit it around noon, maybe? I dunno, it gets moderately confusing.

I typically sleep like the dead though, complete with a zombie-like "UUUUUNGH" if anyone tries to wake me up.

Oddly, back when I used to be forced onto a fixed schedule (for school and college and such) I had insomnia so often that I thought it was normal.

I have a set bed time. I aim to go to bed around 10:30. Sometimes it's earlier, sometimes it's later. But roughly 10:30. It's supposed to be good for sleep hygiene to have a bedtime routine so that's what I do. I try to be sensible.

I'll be posting a video about senses in a couple of days @Jenisautistic which might help to explain your difficulty, which is one I share. The only solution I've found is routine. Go to bed at a regular time, avoid caffeine in the evening and don't eat for at least 2 hours before bedtime. Screen time is not the issue it once was, now most devices have updated screens, but it can still be stimulating. How you Get to sleep is a different matter, but when to go to bed is under your control :)

Maybe your meds are doing the opposite? Making you wakeful instead of sleepy? Sometimes people have adverse reaction to meds. Other than that I can't think of anything else that hasn't been said.

I guess, it's a matter of getting the body used to a certain pattern, since sleep isn't a conscious effort. I wouldn't sleep any longer than 8 hours, better 7 maybe - that way you'll be tired after being 16 hours awake. Working out, doing something during the day also makes you tired. There are some meds, that can help you sleep quickly, which aren't so strong that they knock you out.

But that's advice, I don't follow myself.

Personally, I go to bed at all times of day and night, the time I sleep varies between 13 and 6 hours, I wake up every hour or so anyway (and snack something, or I have a cigarette - yes, I know...bad) I never care about eating or drinking coffee - I drink coffee even late at night. Sometimes I wake up at 7 a.m. and then I have a two hour nap at midday... I have a very bad sleep and nutrition hygiene =)

I guess, it's a matter of getting the body used to a certain pattern, since sleep isn't a conscious effort. I wouldn't sleep any longer than 8 hours, better 7 maybe - that way you'll be tired after being 16 hours awake. Working out, doing something during the day also makes you tired. There are some meds, that can help you sleep quickly, which aren't so strong that they knock you out.

But that's advice, I don't follow myself.

Personally, I go to bed at all times of day and night, the time I sleep varies between 13 and 6 hours, I wake up every hour or so anyway (and snack something, or I have a cigarette - yes, I know...bad) I never care about eating or drinking coffee - I drink coffee even late at night. Sometimes I wake up at 7 a.m. and then I have a two hour nap at midday... I have a very bad sleep and nutrition hygiene =)

No problem with that, but not compatible with a 9 to 5 job :(

No problem with that, but not compatible with a 9 to 5 job :(

Why isn't that compatible with a 9-5 job? (what more could you wish for by the way =)) ..You get up at 7.30, go to work, and when you get home at 5.30 or 6 p.m. you do other stuff, like sports or video-gaming .. the you go to bed at 11.30 p.m.

Edit: oh I get it, maybe you meant my irregular sleep pattern...

What works for one won't work for someone else. I agree with pretty much everything that's been suggested here. Can't stress routine enough. In bed and asleep at around the same time every night, try not to vary this by more than 1-2 hours. Wake up at around the same time every morning. Try to get 7-8 hours of sleep. Some may function on less, others require more. Find out what works best for you.

calming, non-stimulating activities are good. I read a book or an e-book on my phone but I use a blue light filter, with the filter turned up to fairly high intensity, screen brightness turned very low. If I am reading something on my laptop, I do the same thing (I use an app called "Iris" on my laptop). If I'm watching something, I watch only calming stuff (think "Joy of Painting" or "Moving Art" on Netflix). Sometimes I'll write in a journal.

I'm one of those folks who tried all of this good advice in the past, with no successful results. I tried the routines multiple times. Failed. I tried melatonin for a while. Failed. I tried Ativan. Failed. I tried Nyquil plus gabapentin plus Ativan (please don't try this lol) and still, failed.

So what got things to start working for me? I started taking stimulants! Sounds strange, but I have ADHD so I can't shut my mind off, even if I wanted to and tried really, really hard. I have to be on high doses of stimulants. Once I started taking stimulants, I was actually able to follow a good routine. That's because the medication was able to quiet my brain. Once my brain was quiet, I was able to get very serious about the routines, fall asleep within 15-20 minutes of my head hitting the pillow, and I wake up only 1-2 times a night now. Before, I'd wake up on average 4-5 times a night.

I hope you find what works best for you very soon. I know how frustrating it can be to have sleep problems. Trust me, I've had them years and I tried everything. But this does take work, trial and error. And a lot of these things won't work right away. You do have to give things at least a few days/weeks to see if they work for you.

I’ve also found it helpful to go to bed & get up at (roughly) the same time every day, but I’m a human who thrives on routine.

New Threads

Top Bottom