• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How can you stand it?

For me it feels like watching TV. Just watching, there but not a part of it and completely detached.

If someone doesn't know any different, then they are fulfilled. When they start reaching for some glamorized unknown that they believe will solve all their problems, then they are no longer fulfilled.
I believe it's my goal to learn about myself and love my differences rather than thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Most of the time it's not.

If someone doesn't know any different, then they are fulfilled. When they start reaching for some glamorized unknown that they believe will solve all their problems, then they are no longer fulfilled.
I believe it's my goal to learn about myself and love my differences rather than thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Most of the time it's not.

I'm incapable of tuning in that frequency although I've had moments. My radio is loud and stuck on sweep.

You don't feel like an ant on a griddle? How can an ant on a griddle ever feel fulfilled?
I still don't understand what you mean - I don't understand the metaphor.
Do you mean, fulfilled as in satisfied with life? No, I'm not. Who is?

I still don't understand what you mean - I don't understand the metaphor.
I think he means, that the 'accepting Aspie', the one who embraces their differences is like an ant trapped on a burning griddle, dancing forever trying to escape inevitable death... or something.

Is my life everything I could dream of? No. Some aspects of my life are fulfilling, some aren't. In that sense I don't feel like my life is much different than a neurotypical person's life would be. I just have some peculiarities which both help and hinder me. I don't really see the use of wishing I were different. I try to only devote energy to things I can change and accept the things I can't, such as being an Aspie. Learning to work with my personal user's manual is a challenge but I feel it makes my life easier the more I learn. I still have times where I wish I could just be "normal" for a change, but I try not to dwell on that because it just gets me down.

I'm content. I struggled through life, but once I learned about myself it became acceptance instead of struggle. The struggle was trying to be who I was not. Now that I know who I am - yes, very content and fulfilled.

The higher I raise those hoops I’m supposed to leap through,

The more dissatisfied I will feel whilst making attempt after attempt after attempt to successfully jump through ‘em.

If we’re always chasing something more,
We’ll rarely be content with what we have now.

@Krull88
What is fulfilled to you?
What could you be doing that you don’t feel you are?

Detention? No. Though quite often if there's ever a metaphor to describe it all, I call it "living on the outside of a bottle always looking in".

Never really feeling like I'm a part of things, though you just learn to deal with it.

Comparisons of "different" things. Oranges and apples, rain drops and snowflakes, male and female. I don't consider how to be "something or someone" other than who I am. Searching for who you are, finding who you are, and living "contently" in a diverse world is everyone's objective, whether its done consciously or sub-consciously. Philosophically speaking, we are all merely having an experience. Whether you believe this or not is not important. The fact is, the only way to change your experience is to accept who you are and make improvements from within!

What does it mean to always feel like you're in detention?

A lot of the time I got detention in school, I just didn't go, and there were never any consequences.

I guess that's what it feels like to have AS for me. :D

To answer in a long, drawn out and rant-y fashion: no. Technically, I don't have Asperger's, but aside from your point...

It's here to stick, and since the same probably applies to you, better to start dealing with life more effectively over complaining about it.

For me it feels like watching TV. Just watching, there but not a part of it and completely detached.

and for me,it's like jail.you plan an escape attempt & the people behind the social oppression of people like us,even if the oppressors are the people amongst your friends or family (telling us how to look,how to behave (i don't mind being told how to act),forcing us into doing things that doesn't interest us & pressuring us into trying new things that also doesn't interest us up to the point where we start going off on them).

The asperger's. Doesn't it feel like every waking moment you are in detention?

You don't feel like an ant on a griddle? How can an ant on a griddle ever feel fulfilled?

All the nonsensical metaphors make you sound allistic. What insect are you on what cooking equipment?

And, how are we even supposed to participate in a society where subpar social skills are the norm and it wants nothing to do with us? It's also very loud in every way.

When forced to be with other people, sure, I don't feel good, but after I've recovered from that the rest of the time is pretty good.

It's when people are ignorant and ask me ridiculous questions about Asperger's that it feels like I'm in detention. It's when I'm allowed to be who and what I am, which is most of the time now, that I don't feel that way.

New Threads

Top Bottom