1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How can I get a job without professional or academic references....? :-(

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by Ambi, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ambi

Ambi Well-Known Member

So........as many high functioning aspies may have, my past resume is very checkered - random jobs, gaps, etc. So, I get really uncomfortable with asking people to serve as references over and over and over, for random jobs, years and years after I have last seen them, etc. They are really doing this out of sense of inability of saying no, who knows if they are giving good references - it's just not something I want to do anymore, ask these people from a decade ago. One of them finally messed up the last job I applied to, I think, so he's not even an option anymore. Basically, I don't have any reliable academic or professional references. BUT I need a job. Anyone else in this situation? Can anyone else give me advice about how to get a job without providing references? I don't even know if this is possible - every job application I see requires 2 to 3 such references. I'm just wondering if there's some job field that I don't know about which routinely hires people without professional and academic references. Not because I think that's reasonable, but because I'm getting desperate for work.

2. AustinTheAspie

AustinTheAspie Just Another Member

For now, you could always start volunteering. You can get pretty good references from wherever you volunteered, since it's considered work even though you don't get paid. I'm in a similar situation; I need to get a job too, only my issue is that the job market in my area is pretty crappy. I've handed out numerous resumes, and not one call back. Luckily, I'm seeing a job coach today, and he said the last time I saw him (which was a few days prior) that he has a buddy in landscaping that might need a few more people for his crew. Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Ambi

Ambi Well-Known Member

Thanks, Austin. I think my anxiety is clouding my thinking - I do have volunteer opportunities available.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. JackSkellington

JackSkellington Active Member

You could try work from home jobs. There's many listed online.

5. Ambi

Ambi Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if these are legit or a scam. Do you know of reliable websites for these listings?

6. JackSkellington

If you are into making stuff- you could open a shop to sell your items on Ebay or Etsy.

Fiverr looks pretty legit too. You can sell a good or service for $5 (or more).

There's also transcribing- but sometimes it doesn't pay well. I've heard it's easy enough though. You just listen to audio and type out what they say. Usually you have a decent time limit, so you can listen a few times.

Do you have Uber (or a similar driving service) in your area? You could drive a cab if you were comfortable.

For random jobs you aren't sure about- do a search on Google (or wherever) to see if it's legit. Generally if it's a scam- many results about people complaining are usually on first page of the search.

I hope some of this helped. I've struggled with work a lot in my life too.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ambi

Ambi Well-Known Member

Thanks! This is very helpful.

8. JackSkellington

You are welcome. Good luck with finding jobs!