• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Can I Deal With Change

KevinMao133

I don’t understand why people like to talk with one another

Anyways, I am scared. Scared of something

I’m on a restrictive dietary plan right now. What I eat, how I eat matters

tomorrow there is a banquet. I’m supposed to stay at home and do what I do, tomorrow is a big change however

I have a hard time dealing with change. I might never be able to learn how to deal with change

How do I deal with change? Matter of fact, how should I deal with change?

That’s why I’m here, asking for support

That sounds like a lot to cope with. So, are you supposed to miss the meal/ banquet? Would you go normally? Would you enjoy it by overeating, and to avoid social conversations? Who is telling you what you should do? Do you feel supported by them?

I think a lot of us would have similar dilemmas around this situation. What would you most prefer to happen?

Change represents what we don't know or don't like. It means to me that l am not in touch with my feelings because whatever l feel at the time of a change won't be acknowledge for another day.

Maybe you can explore some of what you feel by talking about change and how it makes you feel. Do you feel unhappy, bewildered, unconcerned, angry, confused? Are you concerned about your willpower at the banquet? Seeing the food and not being able to eat what you want due to dietary considerations?

Change is hard!

What I have tried to do is to accept being uncomfortable. I try to figure out, rationally, if how I am feeling will kill me. I get panick attacks, so I often feel like I could die. But I don't. I breathe in, breathe out and feel a little better, a little at a time, until my heart beat slows. The air is still rushing in my ears and everything is too loud and bright. It sucks. But I am alive.

I get confused when my routine changes. I am in the wrong place at the wrong time. I know others think I am foolish. Oh well. It's not my job to be someone else so they will be happy. I can't be anyone else.

I don’t understand why people like to talk with one another

Anyways, I am scared. Scared of something

I’m on a restrictive dietary plan right now. What I eat, how I eat matters

tomorrow there is a banquet. I’m supposed to stay at home and do what I do, tomorrow is a big change however

I have a hard time dealing with change. I might never be able to learn how to deal with change

How do I deal with change? Matter of fact, how should I deal with change?

That’s why I’m here, asking for support

1. One key difference between a neurotypical and an autistic,...a neurotypical usually gets a dopamine hit and feels energized from a friendly social interaction. For us, it's a mental exercise in masking and can be exhausting.

2. With regards to restrictive diets,...this can be a bit of a conundrum. We find foods that make us feel better,...and this could be from a gut-brain axis perspective where certain bacteria produce the neurotransmitters we need. However, over time these same bacteria can outcompete other bacteria,...so when we occasionally eat new foods,...that happen to require different bacteria, we can get abdominal swelling, bloating, headaches,...generally feeling like crap. I take a broad spectrum probiotic,...the more different bacteria in the product, the better. That way, when you have those occasional meals that are not on your usual diet,...it isn't going to get you in as much trouble.

3. The being scared part,...that is your amygdala in "high gear",...it can be useful in truly life-threatening situations,...but mostly it's a source of a long, long list of psychological issues, social and communication dysfunction. If you're not already on anti-anxiety meds,...and wish to treat this holistically,...I highly recommend L-theanine,...I use 200mg am/pm. It's a glutamine blocker, inhibiting the excitatory neurotransmitter, and enhances the GABA, the inhibitory neurotransmitter,...calming your mood and making you think more clearly.

Beyond that, it is a combination of intellectualizing and realizing that the anxiety from social situations, is often in your head, it isn't a rational as you think it may be, and people generally don't care that much about how you behave as much as you think it does,...at least not amongst a mature, adult crowd. Yes, children, teens, and young, immature, insecure adults can be nasty creatures,...especially when in groups,...but this banquet doesn't sound like that situation, at all.

As far as the occasional social event goes,...how I deal with it,...it's acting 101. Know your audience, lift your head up, good posture, eyes up and bright,...then interact like you own the place,...total confidence. Inside,...yes, you are, at first, apprehensive and anxious,...but get into the act. Here's the balance though,...you still have to not embellish and exaggerate about yourself,...still be humble. People love to talk about themselves,...so, if you can get them talking,...the less you have to do,...but light friendly conversation about travel, places you've been, interests,...and if they are opening up,...then family and friends, work,...that sort of thing. Small talk is difficult,...you have to work at it a bit,...but if it is meaningful and somewhat personal to them, they will often just keep talking.

4. Change can be a good thing,...but here's the key thing,...YOU have to be in control of those changes in your life. Set those small daily, weekly, monthly goals, and go after them,...on your terms. You are the one who has to be confident and pro-active. You take control of you. If you are always on your heels and reacting to changes thrown your way,...then you aren't in control, and it becomes a negative thing,...and this is where the anxiety occurs.

Guess these are great points. We do eventually learn to own change but it can take some years to get to that point. Change is scary. Period. So maybe little steps of change, then reward yourself with a compliment. I handled that well.

And here we are, living in a world where everything will change.

People are always on center stage in their own minds. But in reality, people who stand out and are memorable to strangers are few and have to work at it. People who understand that they are just a guy in the chorus line who could be silently mouthing the words and the audience would never know are the ones who are the most relaxed in public situations.

Even to people we know well we're, at most, supporting cast. So don't sweat it.

Go to the banquet. Eat the foods you're allowed and maybe nibble slightly on the rest or move it around the plate. If that means eating before you go to keep from being too hungry, then do it. Smile and nod and say "Uh-huh" when you think appropriate. Enjoy what festivities you can and play on your smartphone the rest of the time.

God bless the smartphone!

try not to avoid the stress it doesn't help if you can go with the stress in instead of trying to avoid it it starts to get infinitesimally slightly easier and very very very very gradually slightly easier don't try to self medicate it doesn't work you're doing the right thing keep talking get it out, if they can't understand what you are communicating show them in a very obvious way something they cannot avoid

I don't know if I'm a weirdo but I do not like to change

usually when change comes and happens, for me it's take a while to process everything that is going on. Usually it takes me a bit longer than most

I don't get it, I just don't

You're not weird at all. Some changes are good others bad. Taking time to adjust to them and, perhaps, taking a little longer to adapt is perfectly normal.

Of course, some changes are far harder to adapt to if you can. Again, this is normal.

There's nothing to worry about. :)

You're not alone in this regard, e.g., there was a shop I used to frequent, a few days later I get there, and they moved things around. Stopped at the door, turned around and walked away.
We like consistency and things we know, it's something known and familiar.

I don't know if I'm a weirdo but I do not like to change

usually when change comes and happens, for me it's take a while to process everything that is going on. Usually it takes me a bit longer than most

I don't get it, I just don't
I don't mind change when I can prepare for it, otherwise I do not. I do not like decisions being sprung on me at a moments notice. I need a few days to deal with what will transpire.

As people indicated it is easier if we have time to prepare for change. I have a hard time coping with uncertainty, so when I understand changes I can deal with them. My difficulty then comes from any disconnect between my understanding and reality.

I hate change and used to have to go to bed to calm down and even now, when my routine is disturbed, it really is quite a torture to get back to that routine, but thankfully, not as bad as it used to be.

I am amused actually, because in my faith, there are a lot of changes that take place and rather strangely, I love those changes, but everything else in my life, I do not like change.

I personally don't have big problems processing change,
but i do get very afraid if changes happends that i either can't controll or if people are involved
(for example if i have a specific class that happens to be in a different room than usual for the day )

New Threads

Top Bottom