• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How am I suppose to get ahead in life?

Cinco

How am I suppose to get ahead in life when I'm so socially inept?
Unable to even look at people and getting to know them them seems to be harder than I had initally thought moving into adulthood.

How am I suppose to make friends and start my own family?
Even though I enjoy being alone most of the time I don't want to be completely alone my entire life, I've always liked having my big family around and sharing a house with my family but I my current family won't be here forever

I don't know what to do

A lot of social skills can be learned and practiced, even if they'll never be innate to you. I've improved my social skills greatly the past few years and of course am far from perfect still.

Yes @Cinco that stuff can be learned. It may not ever feel natural to us, but we can learn enough to thrive in society.

It is hard work but we can do it. I learn through logic-- like legal television shows, books and blogs written by other Auties, and talking with trusted mentor-type people like my boss.

I did not learn through social skills training or "emotional intelligence training. Your mileage may vary. That means you gotta find what works for you.

Don't give up on yourself.
Ask specific questions here.
Relax.
I believe in you.

ahead? life is no race, only if you dont compare yourself to others. life is the longest thing we will do, you have time to do the things you want. as long as you are talking continues steps, even at your own pace, eventually you will get there.

New Threads

Top Bottom