• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

House (1977) - In Search For The Tie-in Manga

tkcartoonist

Tunes and Toons
qSJsRYuddgUdKqcwTdI6fsk48KhXF7_large.jpg

House is this surreal Japanese horror flick from the '70s that uses a lot of bizarre video effects and visuals. It has become something of a cult classic in recent years and was released in 2010 as part of the Criterion Collection. What some people don't know is that, prior to its release in Japan, the movie had some tie-in material to promote it, including a novelization of the script, a radio drama, and (the whole point of this post) a one-shot manga released in Monthly Shonen Magazine the same year as the film.

A friend of mine does a show on Youtube regarding anime and manga, and I brought up to him that a video covering and even showing a little bit of said manga would be a very interesting topic. The problem I'm running into is I can't find this manga anywhere online (not even on archive.org, and that site has all sorts of random stuff on it), and I don't really follow the anime/manga scene so I wouldn't even know the communities to start asking around.

And so I ask this to anyone who is really big into manga: have you heard of this particular manga, and if you have do you know a place where I could find it? I'm usually pretty good at finding the most random stuff, but on this I'm stumped.

Have you consider writing an article about this on the lost media wiki and talking about it on their forums?

I found a Japanese tweet that confirms it was two manga (Mitsuru Miura, Monthly Shonen Magazine, June 77) (Masako Watanabe, Monthly Seventeen, Sept 77) and compares one page from each. It says they're both based on the same script. Unfortunately it also pretty much confirms neither exists online besides a few other scanned pages on Twitter. They aren't quite lost media (if you could teleport to Tokyo they'd both be in the National Diet Library and it sounds like you could check them out) but they might be impossible to get outside of Japan and they definitely haven't been translated.

That stinks. I don't mind the untranslated part (it's a little known promotional manga of a semi-obscure film), but it's lame that there are almost no scans of it. Criterion Collection versions of movies are known for having a lot of special features and other related material, so it makes it disappointing that the mangas, as well as the novelization and radio drama, weren't included. Oh well.

Hey, not sure if youve already seen this, but it looks like someone on twitter recently posted some pretty decent translated scans of one of the manga adaptations of the house script! Came across this post and the translation while watching the extras on the House criterion release, really excited to finally get to see something i've been hoping would pop up ever since i learned about it. now only if a recording of the radio show resurfaced....

Link to translated pages here

That's cool that something surfaced. I'm gonna send that link to my friend in the morning. He is really into anime/manga, and I figure this would be up his alley.

New Threads

Top Bottom