• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Resource icon

Horses Helping with Autism 2015-10-04

Elemental

V.I.P Member
Elemental submitted a new resource:

Horses Helping with Autism - An account of equine intervention in autism

I am currently reading Susan Dunne's book A Pony In The Bedroom which is an account of her life as an undiagnosed autistic adult, journeying through turbulence & seeking connections in life. I am impressed by the author's ability to capture so succinctly & describe both eloquently & accurately, the internal existence mode which is so often the primary domain of people on spectrum. The link is an associated article.

Read more about this resource...

I loved horses, riding them around a great joy to me. It was a passion of mine till I could learn to walk and actually feel how my body moved. The feeling of speed was the best part, I could almost fly as I rode. I miss it sometimes but it was fun to try for a few weeks.

I spent some time with horses (in the guise of helping someone muck out their stables)
Being in close proximity to these horses and recognising a connection (without uttering a word) was quite profound.

I'm not brave enough to ride a horse (unpredictable living creatures) I much prefer a car but spending time with these horses was almost meditative.

New Threads

Top Bottom