• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Horror movies poll!

What are your horror movie opinions?

• The more gratuitous gore, the better!

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I prefer horror without graphic violence.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Only high class horror for me!

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Let's watch the slimiest grindhouse films available!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like any horror movies.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I prefer psychological horror to visceral horror.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I love most horror films out there. I am an official horror junkie.

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
This poll will allow you to express your opinions on scary movies.

Keep all replies within forum rules. No graphically violent videos in replies, please.

When I was a teenager, I had a pretty big horror movie collection. At the time it was difficult to get a hold of all the worst horror movies in the country I live in, so I imported them from the Netherlands. But now I don't watch horror movies, the world is much worse than any horror movie, if I want to see something awful I just watch the news.

I watch comedies now, to distract me from the horror of the world. 1980s comedies are the best. :) I watched Young Einstein the other day, again, it's still so funny.

When I was a teenager, I had a pretty big horror movie collection. At the time it was difficult to get a hold of all the worst horror movies in the country I live in, so I imported them from the Netherlands. But now I don't watch horror movies, the world is much worse than any horror movie, if I want to see something awful I just watch the news.

I watch comedies now, to distract me from the horror of the world. 1980s comedies are the best. :) I watched Young Einstein the other day, again, it's still so funny.

Frankly, I enjoy horror movies that are detached from reality. From '80s slashers to '70s grindhouse to early Sam Raimi, the more blatantly unrealistic the horror is, the more I tend to enjoy it. It is a cathartic escape from reality, a controlled roller-coaster scare ride, if I have to describe it.

I've got through a lot of horror films, to the point where I've kinda killed the genre for me. Nowadays it's nothing but cliches and themes or moments which I've seen many a time before.

Blair Witch was the last film to truly unnerve me, and that didn't really need much in the way of gore. In fact, simple use of sound was enough to create some of the creepiest moments I've ever seen.

On the opposite end of the scale, and somehow this GIF remains PG-13 (considering the film that's shocking):

kung-fu-priest.gif

But I do love media in all forms that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Ed

I would like to warmly recommend Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

The first marriage proposal between Darcy and Elizabeth is especially fun.

Triangle isn't bad either.

Perhaps my all-time favorite will remain the film "The Haunting" (1963)

A classic example of very subtle and psychological special effects that worked so well while promoting an atmosphere of fear the whole time. A masterpiece of director Robert Wise. :cool:

Gore doesn’t really affect my opinion very much one way or the other. My particular niche is body horror, so I’m pretty inured, but I don’t watch anything for the gore, there has to be something that’s actually interesting (not a movie, but for example, Dead Space is essentially the definition of “excessive gore,” but I love it because I’m fascinated by the necromorphs). Gore is not an adequate replacement for actually being scary. I’m not really put off by “jump scares,” but they are also not scary, they’re startling, which is a completely different sensation for me. I don’t do the most common sorts (zombies, possession/haunting, anything featuring a group of teenagers stuck somewhere, etc.) unless there’s reason to think there’s something significant that makes them not basically the same as the other zillion movies of the sort. And I do not do horror-comedy, I have an odd sense of humor and too often they ruin the good parts trying to be funny. I do admit that I’m a sucker for creatures and unnatural transformation/mutation (the weirder the better), the effects don’t even have to be that good.

If we’re naming favorites, mine is Event Horizon.

Gore doesn’t really affect my opinion very much one way or the other. My particular niche is body horror, so I’m pretty inured, but I don’t watch anything for the gore, there has to be something that’s actually interesting (not a movie, but for example, Dead Space is essentially the definition of “excessive gore,” but I love it because I’m fascinated by the necromorphs). Gore is not an adequate replacement for actually being scary. I’m not really put off by “jump scares,” but they are also not scary, they’re startling, which is a completely different sensation for me. I don’t do the most common sorts (zombies, possession/haunting, anything featuring a group of teenagers stuck somewhere, etc.) unless there’s reason to think there’s something significant that makes them not basically the same as the other zillion movies of the sort. And I do not do horror-comedy, I have an odd sense of humor and too often they ruin the good parts trying to be funny. I do admit that I’m a sucker for creatures and unnatural transformation/mutation (the weirder the better), the effects don’t even have to be that good.

If we’re naming favorites, mine is Event Horizon.

There is one movie that stands out for me, Hellraiser from 1987. That is one dark and bloody movie. There's something about the atmosphere in the movie and the story, it's well made. Those Cenobites are rough, especially the Chatterer, he makes those nasty sounds.

There is one movie that stands out for me, Hellraiser from 1987. That is one dark and bloody movie. There's something about the atmosphere in the movie and the story, it's well made. Those Cenobites are rough, especially the Chatterer, he makes those nasty sounds.

I’m also a particular fan of Hellraiser. My avatar is from the second movie. Chatterer is my favorite.

I have a framed poster of Hellraiser on my living room wall, to the right of my big screen TV. I regret nothing about that.

sci-fi and some horror are 2 of my staples. they don't bother me, or give me nightmares, i think because they are fiction. reality based violent films/tv on the other hand i can't watch as i find them disturbing, the exception being military subjects.

i'd also recommend 'triangle'. well done and one of the most complicated plots i've ever seen, but one that actually does work out logically - unlike so many that have messed the story up so bad they have to end it ambiguously. though i only got about 70 percent on my own and had to go to a movie explanation site foe the rest.

- no caps because i have a dog in one arm -

Not a fan of gory, graphic horror films. For me horror is only worth watching if it's scary and blood and guts aren't scary, just for shock value and squeams, to me anyway. I like more of the reality based or based on true story films. Anything that can mess with your head, question reality, make you think it could actually happen to you.

One that I found horrifying was not a movie, but a series: Chernobyl. It's a well-made series with some great acting and real life horror scenes. Believe it won some awards too.. although not a traditional horror movie, it does leave you cringing.

...Oh and aliens. I used to be afraid of being abducted in my sleep as a kid. And then I watched Fire in the Sky. Big mistake.

Later I found out that this scene never really happened in his version of events, but still...

Maybe I should write reviews of the August Underground trilogy and post critical reviews of them on my upcoming website. Fun family entertainment for all right there.

I have nightmares, hallucinations, illusions, and a ridiculous imagination so I can't handle the extra input of a horror movie. :eek: I don't know if it even counts as horror, but I did enjoy the Chuckie movies when I was a wee lad. I also liked Saw. But I as I got older, I became more averse to such things.

Last edited:
Hellraiser is one of my favorites. I have a T shirt with Pinhead on it and another with the puzzle box that has "what is your pleasure?" written on it. Of more recent stuff I really like the series Kingdom and #Alive.

I prefer psychological horror over gore. Those movies can get really creative with their kill scenes, like the one from Old where everyone is rapidly aging. That one girl dies from breaking her bones and then having them heal rapidly in the wrong position.

Only when I was a kid did horror have appeal for the actual scare or gross-out factor (which makes sense I think, it was like a taboo thing). Since then I just watch them as any other movie, for the general quality of writing, acting and cinematography.
Most recently I saw Ichi the killer which has some ridiculous violence that's plain off-putting sometimes. But the story was engaging and towards the end the scenes got really clever with their flow and shots so I walked away really liking it quite a lot more than expected. Especially for a movie with such graphic content that I really don't care for.
Horror's real strength for me lies in the fantasy element; horror more often than any other genre is allowed to go wild with where it goes and you'll get to see some incredibly imaginative stuff on occasion (and not just in content or setting either I'm talking how scenes are done or acted out too). Though as with any genre, the bulk will be bland and run-of-the-mill. I still have it high up in my mental genre ranking.

New Threads

Top Bottom