• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hoping some people can relate and/or advise..

Devanne

I'm a 23 year old who just graduated college, and I'm struggling to get a job in my field. I've applied for many positions but the interview and hiring process is so draining that I can only handle a few at a time, and I get so burnt out that I end up flopping any follow-up interviews and ruining my chances. I joined this forum in the hopes that some fellow aspies may be able to suggest tips for handling the stress of such a situation. I currently work at a local grocery store and live with my parents, and I just feel stuck.

a53beff867daf68fb83afb3e0074feaa.png

Hi and welcome to the forums :).

Can you give us some idea what kind of position you are interviewing for that requires such a gauntlet of interviews.

Welcome. It's so easy to freeze up and feel stressed at interviews.

Welcome , just relax and feel at home here.

Hi and welcome to the forums :).

Can you give us some idea what kind of position you are interviewing for that requires such a gauntlet of interviews.
I graduated with a degree in graphic and web design, so I'm looking at a relatively creative field in a very competitive market. I have an expansive portfolio and it seems as if employers are impressed by it, but once I reach the end of interviews they seem much less interested. I've been told several times that I "lack ambition despite having a substantial portfolio with a variety of media and do my best to express in interviews that this is a true passion of mine that I intend to continuously expand.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I'm glad you have a portfolio built up since communication is one of our challenges, and sometimes it's nice to let our work speak for itself.

Something that we do have to be cognizant of in interviews is affinity bias: a bias towards those like ourselves. So someone who is part of a group where everyone is aiming at the stars and opening talking and bragging about their accomplishments is going to have a bias towards someone who is the same, even though you might have the actual job skills they're looking for.

Depending also on where you are, and your comfort level, you may wish to consider disclosure or partial disclosure and requesting accommodations or adapations during the assessment process to help you be at your best.

In my signature line there's a free course that talks about employment and being on the spectrum. You might find some useful info there.

Hi and welcome!

In Switzerland interviews for jobs are frequently quite extensive with multiple interviews that can go several hours. Most people need to apply for dozens of jobs before finding one.

What has helped me most are the following:

- thoroughly research questions commonly asked at first and second interviews and potential answers.

- create and practice answers to these questions (sometimes with a partner)

- make sure I get myself in a good frame of mind before the meetings (sleep, alone time, exercise)

- google map the place and how I am going to get there to save myself that little bit of stress

- make notes during the interview (this creates a mini break for me and seems keen)

- ask why I was not chosen, it that is the case. Sometimes I get a useful answer.

- my wife took an online course on interviewing and applying for jobs which has led to many more invites to further interviews

- dont take things personally, often companies are looking for something in particular and you are just not it.

Hope that helps!

Welcome!

I'm glad you have a portfolio built up since communication is one of our challenges, and sometimes it's nice to let our work speak for itself.

Something that we do have to be cognizant of in interviews is affinity bias: a bias towards those like ourselves. So someone who is part of a group where everyone is aiming at the stars and opening talking and bragging about their accomplishments is going to have a bias towards someone who is the same, even though you might have the actual job skills they're looking for.

Depending also on where you are, and your comfort level, you may wish to consider disclosure or partial disclosure and requesting accommodations or adapations during the assessment process to help you be at your best.

In my signature line there's a free course that talks about employment and being on the spectrum. You might find some useful info there.

Hi and welcome. This is the trickiest part of getting into work, but my perception was that I had to look at a generalised version of who they want, and emulate that. I tried to dress the part too. It wasn't usually wholly me therefore. You will possibly need to design yourself a persona.

I wouldn't recommend asking for any accommodations unless you are aware of this being a process with positive outcomes in your area of work, unfortunately you sometimes have to play the game and get the prize, or not.

You may also want to research how this career pans out further down the line, unless you already know you can be suitably comfortable for who you are in the avaliable environments. But that also can vary, and would become apparent once you got a job. Highly competitive or highly social environments can be hard I guess.

Your portfolio is an awesome start! and congrats on getting INTO interviews! But the interview itself isn't about you...they already know you can do the work. The interview is about whether you will get along with the other employees and what you can do for the employer. You need to be amped up and excited and have a list of specific (do your research!) ways that you can help improve the company's bottom line or support their marketing department. Go in with designs that look similar to what the company wants and also redo a couple of their ads following current trends. Maybe the conversation will go like this: "I am so excited to have the opportunity to interview and would love to work here! I've looked at some of your graphics/ads/designs and they are amazing! Here are a couple of examples of my work that fits what you are currently doing and, if you like, I would like to share with you a couple of new concepts that I have for your brand".

1) Express your excitement in being there (don't just say it! Act it!)
2) Compliment the business on their current work. This is important! Don't bash what they currently do.
3) Show work similar to what they are currently doing. Show you can do what they ask.
4) Show some redesigns of their work using the latest design trends (make sure it is on brand!). One possible way you can improve. Keep in mind they may not want to go this direction. But is shows you are doing your research.
5) ASK for the job! "I would LOVE to work here! What do you think? Can we work something out?!"
6) Thank them for the opportunity. Even if you don't get the job, if the new hire doesn't work out they may come seeking you! (As a hiring manager I have done this myself).

Also, look for remote jobs and possibly free lancing!

Oh ya...and Welcome! Good luck love!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I was curious about those comment several made that you lacked "ambition". May be you need to start a creative project on your own of some kind. Something which can lead to generating income for you.

Best Wishes.

John

Most job interviews are mind games that are not designed to appeal to or be understood by someone who is autistic. I quickly learned you have to fake it until you make it. I learned what NT's look for and expect in interviews at a very young age and since then, I have been hired every time ON THE SPOT during a first interview. My most recent job hiring experience marked a new achievement. I didn't even have an interview. I simply walked in knowing they were hiring, did my thing, and the General Manager was so confident in me that she took me to the back, had me fill out paperwork, and I proceeded to work a six hour shift that same day.

Interviews are very draining, even for NT people, and being autistic makes it ten times worse. Sometimes it feels like you're trying to navigate through an impossible maze. It's very likely that despite your talent, they didn't see the outstanding confidence most people want to see during an interview. I've noticed that many places will hire the most confident individual even if they don't have as much training or education as another applicant. NTs will sometimes avoid hiring someone who comes off as awkward, with no sense of self, quiet or aloof, and who seems to have no direction or idea of what they want (even if that's not the case). I am an incredibly ambitious person but my natural behavior comes off as odd, questionable, and strange. That's where faking it comes in.

Walk in with your head up, force eye contact (this sucks but it's very important. In one interview this was stated afterwards: "I noticed how you maintain very strong eye contact. That's something I look for"), shake their hand strongly AND initiate the handshake, use confident and enthusiastic words, and always have a plan of what you're going to say before you go in to the interview.

Rehearse how to describe yourself when they ask, come up with a response beforehand so when they ask you about what you expect from the job and where you want to go you can answer without seeming doubtful or caught off guard. Plan everything out ahead of time. They'll always have a question you couldn't prepare for, but having the main / repeated questions down in interviews will make things easier and less tiring. I have found doing this and rehearsing how I want the situation to go in my head many times before the interview made it play out more along the lines of how I want it to in person. A self-fulfilling prophecy I guess.

If you have to make things up about yourself to make yourself seem like a more successful, full person... do it.

Also: don't mention you're autistic during the interview. I hate that it's so stigmatized, but if you feel the need to tell them, do it after you're hired and even after a couple shifts or projects that show you're skillful and a good worker.

It's all just a game, really, and when you think of it that way it makes it easier.

Web design and graphic design is a super competitive market anyway... as you acknowledged, and there's probably an applicant out there who's as talented as you, but with that (real or faked) confidence and persona they're looking for.

Lots of good advice above which I don't try to repeat. My advice is to look lower and lower in status of jobs, get one in your field even if the pay stinks, and then while employed, slowly work your way up to better opportunities. So you might start doing the website for a credit union or a furniture store, and on the side, maintain a church's website as a volunteer activity. Hang in there for at least a year. Even if you hate the job or the people, it's good to have a little stability on your resume and most people can stand stuff they don't like if there's an end in sight.

Your portfolio is an awesome start! and congrats on getting INTO interviews! But the interview itself isn't about you...they already know you can do the work. The interview is about whether you will get along with the other employees and what you can do for the employer. You need to be amped up and excited and have a list of specific (do your research!) ways that you can help improve the company's bottom line or support their marketing department. Go in with designs that look similar to what the company wants and also redo a couple of their ads following current trends. Maybe the conversation will go like this: "I am so excited to have the opportunity to interview and would love to work here! I've looked at some of your graphics/ads/designs and they are amazing! Here are a couple of examples of my work that fits what you are currently doing and, if you like, I would like to share with you a couple of new concepts that I have for your brand".

1) Express your excitement in being there (don't just say it! Act it!)
2) Compliment the business on their current work. This is important! Don't bash what they currently do.
3) Show work similar to what they are currently doing. Show you can do what they ask.
4) Show some redesigns of their work using the latest design trends (make sure it is on brand!). One possible way you can improve. Keep in mind they may not want to go this direction. But is shows you are doing your research.
5) ASK for the job! "I would LOVE to work here! What do you think? Can we work something out?!"
6) Thank them for the opportunity. Even if you don't get the job, if the new hire doesn't work out they may come seeking you! (As a hiring manager I have done this myself).

Also, look for remote jobs and possibly free lancing!

Oh ya...and Welcome! Good luck love!
So far this seems to cover a lot of things I had overlooked or feel like I'm lacking more than any other reply, so I want to thank you. It helped me realize that a lot of my focus has been on making myself seem like the person they want, but not on how my skills and abilities can benefit the company. Thank you for going into such detail and giving applicable examples!

Most job interviews are mind games that are not designed to appeal to or be understood by someone who is autistic. I quickly learned you have to fake it until you make it. I learned what NT's look for and expect in interviews at a very young age and since then, I have been hired every time ON THE SPOT during a first interview. My most recent job hiring experience marked a new achievement. I didn't even have an interview. I simply walked in knowing they were hiring, did my thing, and the General Manager was so confident in me that she took me to the back, had me fill out paperwork, and I proceeded to work a six hour shift that same day.

Interviews are very draining, even for NT people, and being autistic makes it ten times worse. Sometimes it feels like you're trying to navigate through an impossible maze. It's very likely that despite your talent, they didn't see the outstanding confidence most people want to see during an interview. I've noticed that many places will hire the most confident individual even if they don't have as much training or education as another applicant. NTs will sometimes avoid hiring someone who comes off as awkward, with no sense of self, quiet or aloof, and who seems to have no direction or idea of what they want (even if that's not the case). I am an incredibly ambitious person but my natural behavior comes off as odd, questionable, and strange. That's where faking it comes in.

Walk in with your head up, force eye contact (this sucks but it's very important. In one interview this was stated afterwards: "I noticed how you maintain very strong eye contact. That's something I look for"), shake their hand strongly AND initiate the handshake, use confident and enthusiastic words, and always have a plan of what you're going to say before you go in to the interview.

Rehearse how to describe yourself when they ask, come up with a response beforehand so when they ask you about what you expect from the job and where you want to go you can answer without seeming doubtful or caught off guard. Plan everything out ahead of time. They'll always have a question you couldn't prepare for, but having the main / repeated questions down in interviews will make things easier and less tiring. I have found doing this and rehearsing how I want the situation to go in my head many times before the interview made it play out more along the lines of how I want it to in person. A self-fulfilling prophecy I guess.

If you have to make things up about yourself to make yourself seem like a more successful, full person... do it.

Also: don't mention you're autistic during the interview. I hate that it's so stigmatized, but if you feel the need to tell them, do it after you're hired and even after a couple shifts or projects that show you're skillful and a good worker.

It's all just a game, really, and when you think of it that way it makes it easier.

Web design and graphic design is a super competitive market anyway... as you acknowledged, and there's probably an applicant out there who's as talented as you, but with that (real or faked) confidence and persona they're looking for.
Thank you for going into such detail in regards to your approach to interviews! While I do my best to appear enthusiastic, I'm realizing that I probably come across much more submissive than is ideal. I will certainly take your advice to heart!

giphy.gif

Hope you find the way that works best in all of the above posts.
The start at the lower status or even volunteer and work your way up worked the best for me
when I started with job seeking.

You'll find the way!

New Threads

Top Bottom