1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hopefully volunteering at a museum

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by Markness, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Markness

Markness Young God

I decided to look into volunteering at a local museum during the mornings before I go into work and sent in an application. I hope it will help me develop new skills and potentially new social connections, especially since it’s a different environment.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin Well-Known Member

What sort of museum is it?

Ed

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wolfsage

Wolfsage In training to be Wolf King.

Neat idea. Always thought they were interesting places to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

Are you trying to build a resume or somethin'? If not, then I recommend you ditch the idea because you mostly shouldn't do things for other people unless you get a material reward out of it like money or whatever.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. paloftoon

paloftoon Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

If this is something you would enjoy just by doing it, then no material award is needed.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Shamar

Shamar Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

As a (former) museum volunteer, I can say from experience this is a rewarding opportunity. I was able to pass on some of my knowledge and experience to a new generation, and expanded my own knowledge, both from the museum itself and from visitors.
    I would advise you to learn as much about the subject of the museum as you can, and take advantage of any training classes the museum offers to volunteers. If you give tours, don't focus on what is there (the visitors can see what is there), but instead focus on what it means and why it is significant. Interpret, don't just describe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Markness

Markness Young God

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mars26

Mars26 21 years old aspie

Cool idea, I also wanted to do it but before the pandemic.

9. MyLifeAsAnAspie

MyLifeAsAnAspie Well-Known Member

Good idea. I should have done more volunteering when I was your age. They call us "egocentric", so it is worthwhile doing anything that dispels that idea.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OkRad

OkRad μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην V.I.P Member

Very cool!

11. George Newman

George Newman Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Great idea.

I believe that one can find doing something that is meaningful to be quite fulfilling and of a deeper value than additional dollars. Not to sound too cheeky.

You are motivating me to make sure I am doing what I need to do to facilitate my monetary needs but also doing what is meaningful.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. VictorR

VictorR Random Member V.I.P Member

+1
    As a former historical interpreter at a site that did third person costumed interpreters*, I always loved opening with "and where are you visiting from today?" since that gives me some information to make a connection with, for example "You're from Port X? Did you know that Port X is named after Colonel X who was here at Fort Y from (dates) and he was present at the signing of (historic proclamation) and in that next building over you can stand in that very room!

And once they're hooked, you got yourself a license to info dump and for once, people are wanting to listen to you info dump. :)

*Some places, like the Roman Bath at Bath, England, use first person costumed interpreters, where for example you have a centurion who is in character. While it's super neat (and for history buffs you can try to mess with them), and I'd love to give it a try some day, I like third person costumed interpreting more, where you're dressed in historically accurate garb, and may be demonstrating things as they were done, but you would be using modern language to explain things.
    History doesn't have to be his story. Make it your story, and make things come alive.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

Great idea! Museums are nice places to be in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Alexej

Alexej Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Looks like a really interesting museum. Good for you

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Markness

Markness Young God

I went to my museum volunteer orientation today. The coordinator was nice and a pretty young lady wearing glasses also attended to become a volunteer as well. I hope she and I could become friends and maybe she will even become the cute glasses wearing girlfriend I’ve been looking for since I was 22.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. DavidS

DavidS Active Member

++1 If this is a thing you’re passionate about then this is honestly one of the best places you can be. You’re engaging people in a social way, hopefully to your betterment and understanding of those around you. Like Victor says, first you have to reach out and find a connection and it’s downhill from there.

I’ve done one event in first person, going up to Colorado this fall to do another for nearly a week, it keeps you on your toes for sure.

• Like Like x 1